Wavefunction normalisation for proton beam

In summary, the normalization parameter A in the wavefunction for a beam of free protons traveling in the +x direction with kinetic energy 5 keV and a density of 7.5 * 10^9 particles per meter beam length can be calculated by setting the integral of the wavefunction squared equal to the average number of protons within the range of the integral. The kinetic energy of the beam does not affect the normalization process. The wave function of a single proton in a beam is a problematic concept as it would have to be spread out over all space, and for systems with multiple fermions, the wave function becomes more complicated due to the Pauli exclusion principle.
ChrisP

Homework Statement

Calculate the normalization parameter A in the wavefunction ## \varPsi(x,t) = A e^{i(k\chi - \omega t)} ## for a beam of free protons traveling in the +x direction with kinetic energy 5 keV and a density of ##7.5 * 10^9 ## particles per meter beam length.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I normalize the wavefunction of a beam of particles? If it was just a single particle I just multiply the wavefunction with it's conjugate, set the result to 1 and solve the equation for A. But for a beam of particles I have no idea even what physical rules apply there, I mean is the wavefunction of each proton affected in any way by the other particles in the beam, or is it purely independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a beam like this, "the wavefunction of a single proton" is a problematic concept.
The normalization with many particles works in the same way as with a single particle, but the result is not 1, but the (average) number of protons within the range of your integral.

Thank you for your answer! I also don't understand, how does the kinetic energy of the beam fit in with the normalization of the wavefunction? Because to me it seems now that I set ##\int_0^1 \! \varPsi (x,t)^2 \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_0^1 \! A e^{i(k\chi - \omega t)} A e^{-i(k\chi - \omega t)} \, \mathrm{d}x = 7.5*10^9 \Leftrightarrow A^2 = 7.5 *10^9 ## and then I have found the A. Or am I doing something wrong?

There are units missing, but apart from that I would do the same.
Are there other parts of the question where the energy is needed? Like finding k or ω?

Nope that's the whole question, nothing else is asked. The rest of the questions are completely independent. Out of curiosity can you elaborate a bit on the problematic concept of the wave function of a proton? What would be the rigorous quantum mechanical treatment for a beam of particles?

Particles with an exact momentum would have to be spread out over all space (at least in the dimension we consider here) - but then you cannot normalize the wave function of a single particle properly. You need a wave packet with some momentum spread.
If you consider systems with multiple fermions of the same type, the wave function has to swap its sign if you exchange fermions. That leads to the Pauli exclusion principle, but it also means your wave functions get more complicated. And I guess you would have to include some "begin" and "end" of the beam.

Related to Wavefunction normalisation for proton beam

1. What is wavefunction normalisation?

Wavefunction normalisation refers to the process of ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in a given system is equal to 1. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for accurately describing the behavior of particles in a system.

2. Why is wavefunction normalisation important for proton beam?

In the context of proton beam, wavefunction normalisation is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of protons in a given system. This is crucial for applications such as proton therapy, where the precise delivery of protons to a specific target is essential for treating cancer.

3. How is wavefunction normalisation for proton beam calculated?

Wavefunction normalisation for proton beam is calculated by taking the square root of the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space. This ensures that the probability of finding the proton in any location is equal to 1.

4. What factors can affect the normalisation of a wavefunction for proton beam?

There are several factors that can affect the normalisation of a wavefunction for proton beam, including the energy and momentum of the proton, the shape of the proton beam, and any interactions with other particles or fields in the system.

5. Are there any limitations to wavefunction normalisation for proton beam?

While wavefunction normalisation is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of protons in a system, it is not a perfect concept and has its limitations. For example, it does not take into account relativistic effects or the quantum nature of the proton itself. Additionally, it assumes that the wavefunction is defined over all space, which may not always be the case in real-world systems.