Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2006-02-04_Metal_spiral.jpg
Figure 1: A slinky, the subject of the slinky drop experiment. Attribution: Roger McLassus. CC BY-SA
The slinky drop is a rather simple experiment. In its most basic form, it requires only a popular toy for children, a stable hand, and a keen eye. For a better view, using a modern smart phone to capture a video of the experiment also helps to capture the falling slinky. Apart from the commonly quoted result, the Insight will discuss the evolution of the slinky shape during the drop using only high-school physics: mechanical equilibrium and the conservation of momentum.

Table of Contents
ToggleWhat is The Slinky Drop...
Continue reading...

Likes TSny, Dale and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh you beat me to it! It seems that you finally used my suggestion of using the displacement field! I have a similar solution that I might share later.

pines-demon said:
Oh you beat me to it! It seems that you finally used my suggestion of using the displacement field! I have a similar solution that I might share later.
No, the displacement field is still the dependent variable. The slinky fraction ##s## is the independent material variable. This is the way I did it from the beginning.

The only addition is a non-zero rest length of the slinky. Otherwise the analysis is the same as my post #5 of that thread, just a bit more polished.

Orodruin said:
The only addition is a non-zero rest length of the slinky.
I was talking about that.
Orodruin said:
Otherwise the analysis is the same as my post #5 of that thread, just a bit more polished.
Thanks for the clarification. Anyway, great article!

Likes Greg Bernhardt