Dipole moment of given charge distribution

PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Given the charge distribution ##\rho(x,y,z) = \frac{Q}{2\pi R^2} \delta(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}-R) [\Theta(z) - \Theta(-z)]## calculate the dipole moment using cartesian coordinates.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{p} = \int d^3x \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})##.
I have come up with a solution, however, I'm not sure whether I'm correct. A fellow student of mine has a different result. I'm gonna show my solution, and hopefully one of you can confirm my result or tell me what I did wrong.

$$
\begin{align}
p_z &= \int d^3x z \rho(\vec{x}) \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2\pi R^2} \int d^3x z \delta(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} - R) \left[ \Theta(z) - \Theta(-z) \right] \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2\pi R^2} \left[ \int_{z>0} d^3x z \delta(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} - R) - \int_{z<0} d^3x z \delta(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} - R) \right] \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_{z>0} d^3x z \delta(\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} - R) \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_{x,y} \sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} dx dy \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_{y} \int_{-\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}}^{+\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}} \sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} dx dy \notag \\
\text{Let } u^2 &= R^2 - y^2 \notag \\
\Rightarrow p_z &= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_y \int_{-\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}}^{+ \sqrt{R^2 - y^2}} \sqrt{u^2 - x^2} dx dy \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_y \int_{-\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}}^{+\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}} u \sqrt{1 - \left( \frac{x}{u} \right)^2} dx dy \notag \\
\text{Let } \sin(\alpha) &= \frac{x}{u} \Leftrightarrow dx = u \cos(\alpha) d\alpha \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_y u^2 \int_{\sin^{-1}(-\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}/u)}^{+ \sin^{-1}(\sqrt{R^2 - y^2}/u)} \sqrt{1 - \sin^2(\alpha)} \cos(\alpha) d\alpha \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_y u^2 \int_{-\pi/2}^{+\pi/2} \cos^2(\alpha) d\alpha \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{\pi R^2} \int_y \frac{\pi u^2}{2} dy \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2R^2} \int_y (R^2 - y^2) dy \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2R^2} \int_{-R}^{+R} (R^2 - y^2) dy \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2R^2} \left[ R^2 y - \frac{y^3}{3} \right]_{-R}^{+R} \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2R^2} \left( R^2 \cdot R - \frac{R^3}{3} - R^2 \cdot (-R) - \frac{R^3}{3} \right) \notag \\
&= \frac{Q}{2R^2} \cdot \frac{4R^3}{3} \notag \\
&= \frac{2QR}{3}. \notag
\end{align}
$$

Between the third and fourth line I used a substitution to make both integrals run within the same boundaries, thus allowing me to only calculate one integral. I'm also only stating the ##p_z##-component, because we think the dipole only has non-zero values in the ##z##-component, because the shift of charges only occurs along that axis, as seen from the charge distribution stated above. Please correct me if we're wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
One comment or two: It is very clumsy to try to work with a one dimensional delta function, integrating over 3 coordinates. Suggestion is to rewrite the argument of the delta function as ## r-R ##, and integrate over ## dr ##, (from zero to infinity), with a ## 2 \pi r^2 \sin(\theta) \, d \theta ## ,( the ## \phi ## gives the ## 2 \pi ##), to complete the volume element, and the ## z ## for the dipole is just ## r \cos(\theta) ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
One comment or two: It is very clumsy to try to work with a one dimensional delta function, integrating over 3 coordinates. Suggestion is to rewrite the argument of the delta function as ## r-R ##, and integrate over ## dr ##, (from zero to infinity), with a ## 2 \pi r^2 \sin(\theta) \, d \theta ## ,( the ## \phi ## gives the ## 2 \pi ##), to complete the volume element, and the ## z ## for the dipole is just ## r \cos(\theta) ##.
I would've certainly done that, however, the assignment clearly requested a solution using cartesian coordinates.

Likes Charles Link
Correct me if I'm wrong but in this problem there is only uniform charge (equal and opposite) on the lower and top hemispherical surfaces?

So you only need to do a double integral instead of a triple integral.

Given that you are required to evaluate in Cartesian I think the first step is to parameterize the spherical surface in Cartesian

Which I get as

##\vec{S} \left(x,y\right) = \left(x,y, \sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} \right)## for the top

##\vec{S} \left(x,y\right) = \left(x,y, -\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} \right)## for the bottom

and ##dA = \left|\frac{\partial \vec{S}}{\partial x} \times \frac{\partial \vec{S}}{\partial y} \right| dx dy ##

Likes Charles Link
PhDeezNutz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but in this problem there is only uniform charge (equal and opposite) on the lower and top hemispherical surfaces?

Given that you are required to evaluate in Cartesian I think the first step is to parameterize the spherical surface in Cartesian

Which I get as

##\vec{S} \left(x,y\right) = \left(x,y, \sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} \right)## for the top

##\vec{S} \left(x,y\right) = \left(x,y, -\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} \right)## for the bottom

and ##dA = \left|\frac{\partial \vec{S}}{\partial x} \times \frac{\partial \vec{S}}{\partial y} \right| dx dy ##
I would interprete the charge density in a similar way. I'm gonna try your suggested approach and see where it leads me. Thank you.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:

Which I get as

Assuming I have done everything right, leads to the following:
First, calculate ##dA##:

$$
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial \vec{S_1}}{\partial x} &= \begin{pmatrix}
1 \\ 0 \\ -\frac{x}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}} \\
\end{pmatrix}, \frac{\partial \vec{S_1}}{\partial y} = \begin{pmatrix}
0 \\ 1 \\ -\frac{y}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}} \\
\end{pmatrix} \\
\Rightarrow dA &= \sqrt{\frac{x^2 + y^2}{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}} dx dy.
\end{align*} \\
$$

Since we still have the ##z## in the integral, the denominator should cancel out, leaving

$$
\int_{x,y} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} dx dy
$$

on the upper hemisphere. However, this looks more like hyperbolic functions to me than like trig functions. That seems rather unlikely to me, as we are doing integration on the ##S^2##.

I'm getting ##\left|\vec{S}_x \times \vec{S}_y \right| = \sqrt{\frac{x^2 + y^2}{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} + 1}##

Because for

##\vec{S}_x \times \vec{S}_y## I'm getting

##\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}},\frac{y}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}} , 1 \right)##

To evaluate the last integral, can't you use ## r^2=x^2+y^2 ##, and ## dxdy=r \, dr \, d \phi ##?

PhDeezNutz said:
I'm getting ##\left|\vec{S}_x \times \vec{S}_y \right| = \sqrt{\frac{x^2 + y^2}{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} + 1}##

Because for

##\vec{S}_x \times \vec{S}_y## I'm getting

##\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}},\frac{y}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}} , 1 \right)##
Why is there a 1 in the ##z##-component though? The last entry of the cross product should be 0 in my opinion, since it is calculated by ##1 \cdot 0 - 0 \cdot 1##, unless, of course, I made a mistake determining the derivatives.

I also think we can intuit that there will only be a z-component of the dipole moment.

PhDeezNutz said:
I also think we can intuit that there will only be a z-component of the dipole moment.
That's good to hear.

PhysicsRock said:
Why is there a 1 in the ##z##-component though? The last entry of the cross product should be 0 in my opinion, since it is calculated by ##1 \cdot 0 - 0 \cdot 1##, unless, of course, I made a mistake determining the derivatives.
I’m getting 1x1 - 0x0 when I cover up the third column to get the third component

I tried the problem in spherical coordinates as well

I got QR

For both Cartesian and Spherical approach

PhDeezNutz said:
I’m getting 1x1 - 0x0
But isn't the ##z##-component of the cross product of two vectors, say ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##, given my ##a_x b_y - a_y b_x##? The derivatives should yield a 0 in the ##x##-component for ##\partial_y##, and the ##y##-component for ##\partial_x##, meaning the ##z##-component must vanish.

Charles Link said:
To evaluate the last integral, can't you use ## r^2=x^2+y^2 ##, and ## dxdy=r \, dr \, d \phi ##?

Is it even the right integral to evaluate though? I’ll post parts of my full solution soon

In an hour or two.

PhysicsRock said:
But isn't the ##z##-component of the cross product of two vectors, say ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##, given my ##a_x b_y - a_y b_x##? The derivatives should yield a 0 in the ##x##-component for ##\partial_y##, and the ##y##-component for ##\partial_x##, meaning the ##z##-component must vanish.
Wrong. As per your expression above, you mix the x and y components in the third component of the cross product. It is ##a_x b_y - a_y b_x##, not ##a_x b_x - a_y b_y##.

By your argumentation, the area element of a surface at fixed z is equal to zero, not ##dx\,dy##.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Orodruin said:
Wrong. As per your expression above, you mix the x and y components in the third component of the cross product. It is ##a_x b_y - a_y b_x##, not ##a_x b_x - a_y b_y##.

By your argumentation, the area element of a surface at fixed z is equal to zero, not ##dx\,dy##.
Haven't I given the exact equation for the ##z##-component as you just did?

PhysicsRock said:
Haven't I given the exact equation for the ##z##-component as you just did?
Yes, but you are not applying it as you quoted it.

Yes, when taking ##\partial_x## the y-component vanishes and when taking ##\partial_y## the x-component vanishes. However, both those components appear in the second term of the cross product expression and the components appearing in the first are both one.

Likes PhDeezNutz
What is the determinant of

$$ \begin{vmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{vmatrix}$$

?

Is this not the same as the third component you seek?

@Orodruin, @PhDeezNutz, you're both correct, pardon me. The current lack of sleep doesn't exactly improve my mental capabilities. Okay, I'll try again now including the extra +1 under the square root.

Likes PhDeezNutz