Is the normalisation constant of a wavefunction real?

In summary, the conversation discusses the wavefunction, normalisation factor, and phase factors in quantum mechanics. It is stated that the normalisation factor can be redefined and does not affect the physics, but it can be chosen to be real for convenience.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Consider the wavefunction ##\Psi (x, t) = c\ \psi (x) e^{-iEt/ \hbar}## such that ##\int | \Psi (x, t) |^{2} dx = 1##.

I would like to prove to myself that the normalisation factor ##c## is a real number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\int | \Psi (x, t) |^{2} dx = 1##

##\int c\ \psi (x)\ e^{-iEt/ \hbar}\ c^{*}\ \psi^{*}(x)\ e^{iEt/ \hbar}\ dx = 1##

##\int c\ \psi (x)\ c^{*}\ \psi^{*}(x)\ dx = 1##

##\int |c|^{2}\ |\psi (x)|^{2}\ dx = 1##

This isn't getting me anywhere, though! :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot prove this, quantum mechanics is fine with redefining all phases by the same phase factor and the physics does not depend on the phase of a state. It only depends on the relative phase of interfering states. However, you may choose the normalisation constant to be real for this very reason.

Likes Noctisdark
Thanks!

I knew that the phase factors are tunable, but I was not able to see that this could account for the plausibility of a real normalisation constant.

Now, it's all clear!

Related to Is the normalisation constant of a wavefunction real?

1. What is a normalisation constant in a wavefunction?

A normalisation constant in a wavefunction is a mathematical factor that ensures the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. It helps to normalize or scale the wavefunction so that it accurately represents the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

2. Why is it important for the normalisation constant to be real?

The normalisation constant must be real in order for the wavefunction to accurately represent the probability of finding a particle. If the constant is not real, it can lead to incorrect predictions and calculations.

3. How is the normalisation constant calculated?

The normalisation constant is calculated by taking the square root of the integral of the absolute square of the wavefunction over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1.

4. Can the normalisation constant of a wavefunction ever be negative?

No, the normalisation constant of a wavefunction must always be positive. This is because it represents the probability of finding a particle, and probability cannot be negative.

5. Does the normalisation constant change with time?

No, the normalisation constant remains constant over time. This is because it is a mathematical factor that scales the wavefunction and does not depend on time. However, the wavefunction itself may change over time based on the laws of quantum mechanics.