Symbol Meaning: Capital "V" with Crossbar

• Thread starter ckirmser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the symbol in question, a capital 'V' with a horizontal cross bar, stands for "volume of ion production region (m3)" in a NASA paper from 1984. It can be found in the glossary on page 30 and is used in equation (12).
ckirmser
I've run across a symbol on a NASA paper from 1984 that I am not familiar with and that I could not find in a web search.

It's a capital 'V' with a horizontal cross bar through its center. Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Was it an inverted upper case A? If so it might be the logic symbol meaning "for all".

Can you post an image of this symbol or provide a link to the paper?

Mark44 said:
Did it look like this?
$$\forall$$

What's it mean?

Mark44 said:
Did it look like this?
$$\forall$$

berkeman said:
What's it mean?
It means "for each" or "for all".

Well, with what I've been doing, I had become accustomed to the nomenclature of a paper being right up there by the introduction or abstract. So, I finally came to the end of this NASA paper and discovered - ta daaa!

The nomenclature.

So, the symbol, V with a horizontal cross-bar (duplicated by going into Word, or some such, typing a capital V and clicking the strike-through button), anyway, that symbol stands for, "Volume of ion production region (m3)."

Still trying to learn what that is - I am, by no means, really understanding more than the concepts of this paper - so, I don't know what that is, though I kind of have a guess.

LCKurtz said:
Nice. You give us a 125 page document but no hint on what page to look for your symbol.

Just skimmed through it, there's a symbol matching his description first appearing at the bottom of page 30, in equation (12). Can't work out what it means though -- it appears again on page 38.

EDIT: Just checked the glossary at the bottom. It means "volume of ion production region", measured here in cubic metres.

EDIT 2: According to post #7, the OP has already discovered this...

Last edited:

Related to Symbol Meaning: Capital "V" with Crossbar

1. What does the capital "V" with crossbar symbol mean?

The capital "V" with crossbar symbol is known as the medical symbol or the Rod of Asclepius. It is commonly used to represent the field of medicine and healing.

2. Where did the symbol originate from?

The symbol originates from Greek mythology and is associated with the Greek god of medicine, Asclepius. It is said that Asclepius was able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life using a rod with a single snake wrapped around it.

3. Is the capital "V" with crossbar symbol the same as the Caduceus symbol?

No, the two symbols are often confused but they have different origins and meanings. The Caduceus symbol features two snakes wrapped around a winged staff and is associated with the Greek god Hermes. It is more commonly used as a symbol for commerce and negotiation.

4. How is the capital "V" with crossbar symbol used in the medical field?

The symbol is commonly used by medical organizations, hospitals, and other healthcare institutions. It may also be seen on medical equipment, uniforms, and documents to signify the presence of medical services.

5. Are there any other meanings or uses for the capital "V" with crossbar symbol?

Yes, the symbol is also used in other contexts such as the alchemical symbol for gold, the astrological symbol for the planet Jupiter, and the symbol for the city of Vienna in Austria. It has also been adopted by some military branches and organizations as a symbol of honor and bravery.