What does this special arrow symbol mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical symbols and their meanings, including arrows, equal signs, and a crossed lines symbol with two dots above it. The special arrows represent functions and logical implications, while the equal sign with a colon represents definition. The crossed lines symbol is unknown and can be searched using a symbol recognition tool.
harveyab
I was reading the Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler-Lagrange_equation and came across several symbols I am not familiar with.
An arrow pointing right with a short vertical bar on the left end. What does this special arrow mean?
How is it different from an arrow without the bar?
Also an arrow with two horizontal lines. What does it mean?
And what is the difference between a regular equal sign "=" and this one ":=", used several times?

Also in a book I was reading there is a symbol of two crossed lines like the letter x or the cross product symbol but quite a bit wider. It occurred twice, but one place it also had two dots above it like a wide umlaut. What are these?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about that arrow, but the symbol ":=" means "is defined to be" unlike regular "=", "equal to".

harveyab said:
An arrow pointing right with a short vertical bar on the left end. What does this special arrow mean?
How is it different from an arrow without the bar?

"maps to". It's used to define functions. Example the function which takes x to x2 would be written as ##x \mapsto x^2##.

Also an arrow with two horizontal lines. What does it mean?

Logical implication.

And what is the difference between a regular equal sign "=" and this one ":=", used several times?

"defined as".

Also in a book I was reading there is a symbol of two crossed lines like the letter x or the cross product symbol but quite a bit wider. It occurred twice, but one place it also had two dots above it like a wide umlaut. What are these?

No idea. Try detexify

Related to What does this special arrow symbol mean?

1. What is the name of the special arrow symbol?

The special arrow symbol is called a "glyph" or "arrow glyph."

2. What does the special arrow symbol represent?

The special arrow symbol represents direction, movement, or navigation.

3. Where is the special arrow symbol commonly used?

The special arrow symbol is commonly used in computer graphics, maps, and user interfaces.

4. Are there different variations of the special arrow symbol?

Yes, there are several variations of the special arrow symbol, including different shapes and sizes.

5. Can the special arrow symbol have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the special arrow symbol can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. For example, in a flowchart it may represent a process or decision, while in a video game it may represent a direction for the player to move.