H of a toroidal coil with relative permeability

In summary, the conversation is discussing a toroidal coil with a rectangular section and N turns. The inner radius is a, the exterior is b, and the height is h. The core of the coil has a material that is inhomogeneous, with a magnetic permeability that depends on the angle theta. The question is whether the vector magnetic field H is variable, and the participants discuss the formula for B and H in relation to the variables involved. They also mention that they are trying to figure out the answer.
FUT7CAP
Consider a toroidal coil of rectangular section of N turns, for every one of which circulates a stream I. The inner radius of the coil is a and b is the exterior and the height is h. The core of this coil is a material inhomogeneous in such a way that their magnetic permeability just depends on the angle theta in this way

[tex]\mu o=(1+k cos\theta)\mu[/tex]

vector magnetic field H ?

3089599148_90468b59e5_o.jpg

Please, can u solve this?? I can´t find the answer...

Thanks,
José

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I know

H must be variable because [tex]\mu[/tex] is variable.

H=B/[tex]\mu[/tex]

So B is variable but B also depends of [tex]\mu[/tex] and r

For me B is:

B=([tex]\mu[/tex]*I*N)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)

so

H= (I*N)/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r)

This mean that H don't depend of the center material of toroid

Last edited:
Actually, for a toroid, B= (u0*ui*N*i)/(2PIr)*[ln(rb/ra)] which makes me think that H is really H= N*i/2PI(rb-ra)

I'm trying to figure this out too.

Related to H of a toroidal coil with relative permeability

What is a toroidal coil?

A toroidal coil is a type of coil in which the wire is wound in a circular shape, resembling a doughnut. This design allows for a more compact and efficient use of space compared to other coil shapes.

What is the relative permeability of a toroidal coil?

The relative permeability of a toroidal coil is a measure of how easily magnetic flux can pass through the core material of the coil. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol "μr".

How is the relative permeability of a toroidal coil calculated?

The relative permeability of a toroidal coil is calculated by taking the ratio of the magnetic permeability of the core material to the magnetic permeability of free space, which is approximately equal to 4π x 10^-7 H/m.

Why is the relative permeability of a toroidal coil important?

The relative permeability of a toroidal coil affects its inductance, which is a measure of its ability to store electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. A higher relative permeability can result in a higher inductance and therefore, a stronger magnetic field.

How does the relative permeability of a toroidal coil affect its performance?

The relative permeability of a toroidal coil can significantly impact its performance in terms of its inductance, efficiency, and magnetic field strength. A higher relative permeability can result in better performance, but it also depends on the core material and other design factors.