Find a Mobius Transformation to Map Real Line to Unit Circle

In summary, Mobius transformations take a line or circle to a line or circle by checking three points.
Amer
Hey mobius transformation defined as
[tex] f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d} [/tex]
and [tex] ad \ne bc [/tex]
it is a one to one function how i can find a mobius transformation that take the real line into the unit circle
I read it in the net
[tex] f(z) = \frac{z - i}{z+i} [/tex]
and i checked it, it takes the real line into the unit circle, but there is a properties of the mobius transformation as the book said it is a combination of translation, inversion, rotation, dilation.

My question is how to find such map, or if we have the real line what first we have to do inversion,rotation,translation, ? to get the circle.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Mobius transformations take lines or circles to lines or circles. All you have to do is check three points.

$$f( \infty)=1, \quad f(0) = -1, \quad f(1)= \frac{1-i}{1+i}= \frac{1-i}{1+i} \cdot \frac{1-i}{1-i}
= \frac{1-2i-1}{1+1} = -i.$$

Therefore, you seem to have done it. This method you can use to do most any of these transformations. Take a line or circle into an appropriate line or circle by making sure your $a,b,c,d$ are chosen correctly. Then, if you must map a region, pick a point in the origin region, and make sure it winds up in the destination region.

still not clear, how did you determine [tex]f(\infty) = 1 , f(0) = -1 [/tex]
what I was thinking about I said
[tex] \mid f(0) \mid = 1 \\ \frac{\mid b \mid}{\mid d\mid } = 1 \\ \mid b \mid = \mid d\mid [/tex]
thats one

then I found that [tex] \mid a \mid = \mid c \mid [/tex] by mapping infinity
after that guessing ?

what I was looking for is to master the inversion,translation, dilation, rotation
so I can imagine what i have to use to take a region to another

Amer said:
still not clear, how did you determine [tex]f(\infty) = 1 , f(0) = -1 [/tex]

Technically, the $f( \infty)$ is the limit:
$$ \lim_{x \to \infty}f(z)= \lim_{z \to \infty} \frac{z-i}{z+i}
= \lim_{z \to \infty} \frac{1-i/z}{1+i/z}=1.$$

I determined to check $0, 1, \infty$, because those are easy values to check on the real line.

what I was thinking about I said
[tex] \mid f(0) \mid = 1 \\ \frac{\mid b \mid}{\mid d\mid } = 1 \\ \mid b \mid = \mid d\mid [/tex]
thats one

then I found that [tex] \mid a \mid = \mid c \mid [/tex] by mapping infinity
after that guessing ?

what I was looking for is to master the inversion,translation, dilation, rotation
so I can imagine what i have to use to take a region to another

I've always just transformed the boundaries of regions, and made sure the inside of the region gets mapped correctly. You can check out inversions, translations, etc., here.

Thanks very :D

Related to Find a Mobius Transformation to Map Real Line to Unit Circle

1. How can a Mobius transformation map the real line to the unit circle?

A Mobius transformation is a type of complex function that can be represented by a ratio of two linear functions. It is able to map the real line to the unit circle because it can transform a straight line into a circle, and vice versa.

2. What is the formula for a Mobius transformation?

The general formula for a Mobius transformation is: f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d}, where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and ad-bc \neq 0. This formula can be used to map the real line to the unit circle.

3. Can a Mobius transformation map any point on the real line to a point on the unit circle?

Yes, a Mobius transformation can map any point on the real line to a point on the unit circle. This is because the transformation is a one-to-one function, meaning that every point on the real line is mapped to a unique point on the unit circle.

4. Are there any restrictions for the values of a, b, c, and d in the Mobius transformation formula?

Yes, there are restrictions for the values of a, b, c, and d in the Mobius transformation formula in order for it to properly map the real line to the unit circle. Specifically, ad-bc \neq 0 and c \neq 0. These restrictions ensure that the transformation is invertible and can accurately map between the real line and the unit circle.

5. How can I determine the specific Mobius transformation that maps the real line to the unit circle?

To determine the specific Mobius transformation, you will need to know two points on the real line and their corresponding points on the unit circle. These points can then be substituted into the general formula f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d} to solve for the values of a, b, c, and d. Alternatively, you can use geometric methods such as mapping the real line onto a diameter of the unit circle and using the cross-ratio to determine the values of a, b, c, and d.