Some examples of Möbius transformation

In summary: In (b) it gives you a point on the line. Just need to rotate. In (c) it gives you a circle of the right radius. Just need to translate.
skrat

Homework Statement

Find Möbius transformation that maps:
a) circle ##|z+i|=1## into line ##Im(z)=2##
b) circle ##|z-i|=1## into line ##Im(z)=Re(z)##
c) line ##Re(z)=1## into circle ##|z|=2##

Homework Equations

##f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Firstly to move the circle into the origin ##f_1=z+i## than to map it into a line ##f_2=\frac{1-z}{z+1}## than rotate it for ##pi/2## with ##f_3=iz## and lastly move it upwards for ##2i## with ##f_4=z+2i##

So ##f=f_4\circ f_3\circ f_2\circ f_1=f_4(f_3(\frac{1-z-i}{z+1+i}))=\frac{1-z-i}{z+1+i}i+2i=\frac{3i+iz-1}{1+z+i}##

Is that ok?

b) To find a,b,c and d I determine that ##f(0)=0## and ##f(2i)=\infty ## and ##f(-1+i)=i## which gives me ##f_2=\frac{-z}{z-2i}##

Finally I have to rotate the line for ##pi/4## therefore the answer should be

##f(z)=\frac{-z}{z-2i}e^{-i\pi /4}##

c) Well, I know that ##\frac{1-z/2}{1+z/2}## maps circle (with radius 2) into right half-plane.

So I guess ##f(z)=\frac{2-z}{2+z}+1=\frac{4}{z+2}##

Now the inverse transformation is also the answer to part c): ##f(z)=\frac{4-2z}{z}##

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can fairly easily check your answers. Just plug in a couple of different values for z. For (a), start with z = 0.
The way I find much easier is more geometric. If a circle passes through the origin then a simple inversion z→1/z will give you a straight line (and v.v.). The line will be orthogonal to the line joining the origin to the centre of the circle. In (a), this immediately gives you a line parallel to the desired one. Just need to multiply by a suitable real factor.

Related to Some examples of Möbius transformation

1. What is a Möbius transformation?

A Möbius transformation is a type of mathematical function that maps points on a complex plane to other points on the same plane.

2. What are some examples of Möbius transformations?

Some common examples of Möbius transformations include translations, rotations, and dilations.

3. How do I perform a Möbius transformation?

To perform a Möbius transformation, you will need to use a specific formula that involves multiplying and dividing complex numbers. It is often helpful to first graph the points on a complex plane to visualize the transformation.

4. What are the properties of Möbius transformations?

Möbius transformations have several important properties, including that they preserve circles, angles, and lines. They also have a unique inverse function and can be composed to create new transformations.

5. How are Möbius transformations used in science?

Möbius transformations have numerous applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, and to solve problems in geometry and topology.