Cartesian to polar unit vectors + Linear Combination

In summary, Chris says that the position vector for a particle's motion is given by: r(t) = 4txˆ + (10t − t)ˆy. The polar coordinate unit vectors ˆr and ˆθ are determined by solving for r using the Pythagorean theorem and the laws of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Differentiating the expression for r(t) yields v(t).
Christina909
I've been trying to solve this question all day. If somebody could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

(ii) A particle’s motion is described by the following position vector r(t) = 4txˆ + (10t − t)ˆy Determine the polar coordinate unit vectors ˆr and ˆθ for r. [4]

v(t) is given as: v(t) = 4xˆ + (10t − 1)ˆy
(iv) Using the ˆr and ˆθ you found in (ii) above, write v(t) as a linear combination of rˆ and ˆθ. [4]

(v) Differentiate the expression for r(t) you got in part (ii) (in terms of ˆr and ˆθ, and using the expressions ˙rˆ = ˙θ ˆθ , ˙ˆθ = − ˙θrˆ derived in the lectures, show that you obtain the same answer as in part (iv)

I understand that for θ^ = -sinθ + cosθ and r^=sinθ + cos θ I'm just unsure how to do part (ii) without it being really messy e.g with cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4)) where tan^-1(10t-1/4)=θ especially knowing I have to find a linear combination afterwords.

The attempt at a solution
My current answer for part (ii):
r^= cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))x^ + sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))y^
θ^= -sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))x^ + cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))y^

And for part (iv) am I am right in saying that I need to find, a and b scalars for the following:
4 = a*cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4)) +b*-sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))
10t-1 = a*sin(tan^-1(10t-1/4))+b*cos(tan^-1(10t-1/4))

I'm really not sure about this one. It appears like it's going to difficult to eliminate the t value.
Anyway, thanks in advance, I'm going to keep working on it now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Christina909 said:
A particle’s motion is described by the following position vector r(t) = 4txˆ + (10t − t)ˆy Determine the polar coordinate unit vectors ˆr and ˆθ for r. [4]

I am pretty sure there's at least one typo here. Why would anybody specify (10t - t)y?

Yes that was a typo, sorry.
But when I say y^ -'y' hat (Or ^y - the typo) I mean it as the component, and it's the same with the others, it was just a formatting error

Hi. This all seems a bit confusing, partly because of notation and possible typos... (What's the correct r(t) you are given, by the way?)
Now regardless of that, you seem to have taken a wrong track in the beginning. So to avoid the hats I'm going to define: r-hat = er ; θ-hat = eθ , and: x-hat = ex ; y-hat = ey

You know that in polar coordinates (because you mention it at some point):
er = cosθ ex + sinθ ey , eθ = –sinθ ex + cosθ ey , and this is always true.
You also know that: cosθ = x/r = x⋅(x2+ y2)–1/2, and: sinθ = y/r = y⋅(x2+ y2)–1/2 ,
And this is also always true.
Now you are given an expression: r(t) = x(t) ex + y(t) ey,
So what does all that make of er and eθ?

Christina909 said:
Yes that was a typo, sorry.
But when I say y^ -'y' hat (Or ^y - the typo) I mean it as the component, and it's the same with the others, it was just a formatting error
I think the typo referred to was writing the y-component as ##10t-t##. Why not simply write it as ##9t##? Plus it's inconsistent with what you later said was the y-component of the velocity, ##10t-1##. That's not the derivative of ##10t-t##.

r(t) = 4txˆ + (10t − t)ˆy Determine the polar coordinate unit vectors ˆr and ˆθ for r. [4]

Chris, can you clear this up ?

Either

##\vec r(t) = 4t\hat x + (10 t^2 - t )\hat y\ \ ##, but then ##\vec v(t) = 4\hat x + (20 t - 1)\hat y##,

or

##\vec v(t) = 4\hat x + (10 t - 1)\hat y\ \ ## and then ##\vec r(t) = 4t\hat x + (5 t^2 - t )\hat y##.Unless, of course, there is more than one typo harassing us...

Related to Cartesian to polar unit vectors + Linear Combination

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar unit vectors?

Cartesian unit vectors are used in the Cartesian coordinate system, which is a way of representing points in a plane or space using two or three perpendicular axes. These unit vectors, commonly denoted as i, j, and k, represent the directions of the x, y, and z axes, respectively. On the other hand, polar unit vectors are used in the polar coordinate system, which uses a radius and an angle to represent a point. These unit vectors, commonly denoted as ȷ and k, represent the directions of the radial and angular coordinates, respectively.

2. How do you convert Cartesian unit vectors to polar unit vectors?

To convert from Cartesian unit vectors to polar unit vectors, you can use the following equations:
ȷ = cos(θ)i + sin(θ)j
k = -sin(θ)i + cos(θ)j
where θ is the angle between the x-axis and the vector in the Cartesian coordinate system.

3. What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a sum of scalar multiples of those vectors. For example, if v1, v2, and v3 are vectors, then a linear combination of those vectors would be expressed as a1v1 + a2v2 + a3v3, where a1, a2, and a3 are scalars.

4. How do you represent a vector using a linear combination of Cartesian unit vectors?

A vector can be represented using a linear combination of Cartesian unit vectors by expressing its components in terms of the unit vectors. For example, if v = (x, y, z) is a vector, then it can be written as v = xi + yj + zk.

5. Why is it useful to use a linear combination of polar unit vectors?

Using a linear combination of polar unit vectors can provide a more intuitive way of representing vectors in polar coordinates. It can also make calculations and transformations easier, as the unit vectors represent the directions of the radial and angular coordinates. Additionally, using a linear combination allows for easier visualization of vector operations in the polar coordinate system.