The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Then refresh it. 20 minutes now.

185,000 viewers here:

10 minutes until the final weather briefing, 13 minutes until the rocket takes control of itself.

Likes DennisN
mfb said:
Then refresh it. 20 minutes now.
You beat me to it. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
Final 7 minutes. Weather is good, the synchronized countdown sequence has begun where the rocket takes care of most of its operations. Fuel loading is almost complete, a little bit of venting can be seen.

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Ok, time to wish the James Webb Space Telescope a safe flight and all the best!

Likes pinball1970
2 minutes to go.

Likes pinball1970
450,000 watching the NASA stream as the launch is less than a minute away.

And it's flying...

• Love
Likes pinball1970, valenumr and Borg
Changing too rapidly during launch I guess.

Approaching first stage separation.

Just needed to read further.
NOTE: speed and distance data becomes available on the Where Is Webb? page after upper stage separation. Temperature data becomes available 1-2 days after launch.

Now 10 times higher than Captain Kirk has gone. :oldtongue:

• Haha
Likes DennisN and berkeman
Second engine cutoff. Separation in about 2 minutes. Trajectory is still nominal: It will go to L2.

Edit: Separation. Ariane 5 did its job, JWST is on its own.

• Love
Likes berkeman and valenumr
Separated and leaving earth!

BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!
😍:partytime:

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, Motore, pinball1970 and 2 others
Merry Christmas!

Likes DennisN, berkeman, Borg and 1 other person
First solar panel deployed, it produces its own power now.
"Where is Webb" has data.

• Love
Likes berkeman, Borg and pinball1970
What an amazing view from the onboard camera when the JWST separated!
I just sat and watched in awe.

Likes Borg and pinball1970
Indeed!

JWST_On_Its_Way.jpg

• Love
Likes nsaspook, Filip Larsen, Hamiltonian and 4 others
The next major event will be the first mid-course correction burn in about 12 hours. In one day it will deploy its high gain antenna.
Major unfolding will only start in three days.

The teams will run tons of tests now to verify everything is healthy.

• Informative
Likes Motore, Hamiltonian, DennisN and 2 others
Where is Webb page shows JWST beyond geosynchronous orbit and 2.5% of its journey to L2 complete! It's going to be a long 29 days but I have lots of hope for a successful mission!

Likes Fervent Freyja, Frimus, fresh_42 and 4 others
155,000 km, 10.7% - but that's 10% of the distance not the time. The telescope is fast early on and slows down as its distance to Earth increases.
The first mid-course correction should happen within the next hour. Doing it early in the flight improves the efficiency - both from a smaller accumulated position error and from the Oberth effect.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, russ_watters, Fervent Freyja and 2 others
mfb said:
155,000 km, 10.7% - but that's 10% of the distance not the time. The telescope is fast early on and slows down as its distance to Earth increases.
The first mid-course correction should happen within the next hour. Doing it early in the flight improves the efficiency - both from a smaller accumulated position error and from the Oberth effect.
Is it significant that the first mcc burn was substantially later than planned? Also any info on the planned delta V expectations vs reality?

mfb said:
Correct.

One quick note though, performing maneuvers early on are only more efficient via the Oberth effect if they are prograde (in the direction of motion) or retrograde (in the opposite direction of motion). More-so, JWST has severe limitations concerning retrograde maneuvers at this point in its trajectory. If it accidentally overshoots its prograde maneuvers, it could potentially doom itself to zipping past L2 with little or no way to recover.*

For directions orthogonal to the direction of motion (e.g., "normal," "anti-normal," "radial-in," "radial-out"), the Oberth effect actually hurts the efficiency, rather than helps. For maneuvers in these directions, it may be best to wait until the Earth's and Sun's gravitational tug slows it down a little. This competes with the idea that since a small change to an orbit now will have a large change to the orbital position later, that generally speaking, orbital adjustments should be done sooner rather than later. My point here is that the Oberth effect itself only helps the efficiency of prograde/retrograde maneuvers, and decreases the efficiencies of orthogonal maneuvers, in and of itself.

There's another mid-course correction scheduled in a couple of days (MCC1b).

*[Edit: And it is for this reason that Ariane-5's second stage intentionally cut short of placing the JWST directly on a path to L2. Overshooting L2 could doom the mission. So JWST will make up the difference during its mid-course correction burns (in addition to its final insertion burn), where the JWST thrusters have more fine control.]

Last edited:
We (i.e. I) find to easy to forget the relevance of some aspects of big projects. The L2 position is not stable so the situation is very different from setting a course for orbiting round a massive object. The inverse law for GPE of a target planet provides a certain amount of help for getting into orbit, once you are near. There is no such central force around L2 so I imagine everything needs much more precision and you have to make your own quasi orbit around L2 (to avoid being eclipsed by Earth). L4 and L5 would probably be less problematical in that respect. L4 and L5 probably have their own disadvantages. Those points are a long way away (many minutes of signal path delay) and a much longer journey time.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
We (i.e. I) fond to easy to forget the relevance of some aspects of big projects. The L2 position is not stable so the situation is very different from setting a course for orbiting round a massive object. The inverse law for GPE of a target planet provides a certain amount of help for getting into orbit, once you are near. There is no such central force around L2 so I imagine everything needs much more precision and you have to make your own quasi orbit around L2 (to avoid being eclipsed by Earth).
There are at least quasi-stable "Halo orbits" around L2 as described in the Wikipedia article Lagrange Point. These can be quite extended to avoid eclipsing.
sophiecentaur said:
L4 and L5 would probably be less problematical in that respect. L4 and L5 probably have their own disadvantages. Those points are a long way away (many minutes of signal path delay) and a much longer journey time.
The L2 point is relatively close but enables the sun shade to hide all of the sun, the Earth and the moon at the same time.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, Hamiltonian and sophiecentaur
mfb said:
The cruising speed yesterday was in excess of 2.5 miles/second. Today, it's down to less than 1.1. It's going to take a month to get to L2 at this rate. :oldwink:

Likes Hamiltonian and sophiecentaur
Borg said:
The cruising speed yesterday was in excess of 2.5 miles/second. Today, it's down to less than 1.1. It's going to take a month to get to L2 at this rate. :oldwink:
Just like chucking a ball into the air!

Likes Richard Crane and Borg
Six and a half hours, Tracking Webb!

The shorter version.

Likes OmCheeto, russ_watters, collinsmark and 1 other person
QUERY:
Does anyone know whether the length of the first correction burn (65 minutes) was of an "expected" duration? How much of the total onboard fuel inventory does that represent?

Likes valenumr
hutchphd said:
QUERY:
Does anyone know whether the length of the first correction burn (65 minutes) was of an "expected" duration? How much of the total onboard fuel inventory does that represent?
A Google search on JWST mcc-1a duration gives this text:
The first, MCC-1a, is expected to be a long, continuous burn (potentially up to 3 hours) performed approximately twelve hours after launch. The concept for this maneuver is to execute 95% of the nominal maneuver that would take the observatory directly into the LPO.
Reference:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20140008868/downloads/20140008868.pdf

Likes mfb, collinsmark, valenumr and 1 other person
JWST has an unusual constraint that it can't slow down, only speed up, because the delta-V thrusters in the current configuration are only at the back end, and it can't turn round without exposing sensitive components to the sun. So it has to be very careful not to speed up too much.

• Informative
Likes Richard Crane, pinball1970, hutchphd and 2 others
hutchphd said:
QUERY:
I'd like to know as well!

valenumr said:
I'd like to know as well!
Oops..
Didn t get to the reference before I posted. Seems like 65 minute burn is really good.

Likes hutchphd