The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
sophiecentaur said:
I would normally respond with something about the lower cost of unmanned stuff but JWST costa packet.
https://www.planetary.org/space-policy/nasa-budget

Funding varies year-to-year, but generally about 50% of NASA's annual budget is spent on human spaceflight activities, 30% on robotic missions and scientific research, and the remainder split between aeronautics, technology development programs, staff salaries, facilities management, and other overhead.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I would normally respond with something about the lower cost of unmanned stuff but JWST costa packet.
Well it would have been considerably more expensive to put a crew on the JWST

Seriously, do contingency plans exist for a manned mission out to L2 for emergency servicing? Hubble had to be repaired by a human back in the 90s.

BWV said:
Well it would have been considerably more expensive to put a crew on the JWST

Seriously, do contingency plans exist for a manned mission out to L2 for emergency servicing? Hubble had to be repaired by a human back in the 90s.
No - see my post above. There may be a robotic mission someday to replenish fuel but that would be more than 10 years from now.

Likes BWV
Borg said:
but that would be more than 10 years from now.
Apparently, they used up less fuel than anticipated and the latest estimate is a 20 year lifespan. Fab or what?

Likes Borg and BillTre
Borg said:
This calibration capability was built specifically because of the previous Hubble mirror flaw.
I believe it was required because of the nature of the novel segmented berylium miorror. Do you have a reference for this particular assertion?

hutchphd said:
I believe it was required because of the nature of the novel segmented berylium miorror. Do you have a reference for this particular assertion?
It's from the video that I referred to in my earlier post. It depends on how you interpret that. Saying that it was specifically built because of the Hubble mirror flaw was my wording and may be a bit over-stated. However, the video goes into great detail about the issue with Hubble and how the engineers did not want a repeat of that since they wouldn't be able to repair this one with a mission.

Likes hutchphd
phyzguy said:
Also, remember that the problem with Hubble was that the mirror was fabricated incorrectly, and the problem wasn't caught because it was never completely tested on the ground. That's one of the reasons Webb was delayed so long, because they did extensive testing on the ground.
Yes, and I'm glad they did. I'm only saying, that's a lot of moving parts that have to work.

sophiecentaur said:
When you throw a stone up in the air, it goes slower and slower as it approaches the high point. That experiment on Earth is very nearly under constant gravitational force and the variation of the g field near L2 is a bit more complicated but the same principle applies; Kinetic Energy turns into Gravitational Potential Energy and, at L2, the GPE changes are very small so KE has to be low.
So why not manoeuvre JWST into place more aggressively? The design choice was to avoid retro thrust, which would involve facing back towards the Sun and frazzling equipment. When you can only 'push' you have to be very gentle with these of the engines and make it arrive in the desired spot traveling verrryy slowly (= a long time to get there).
It's quite comparable to rolling a ball up a hill, only we don't want to hit the peak at L2. If it drifts past, it will just continue to drift further out. The propellent will be used now and again to roll Webb back close to the peak from time to time (among other things) as it falls back toward earth. Perhaps we should call it Sisyphus (this is pretty standard for the many other observatories at L2).

Likes sophiecentaur
valenumr said:
It's quite comparable to rolling a ball up a hill,
Or the old pub game of shove ha'penny; just one go to get the coin up to the line and not a nanometre over it.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, collinsmark, anorlunda and 5 others
T+3 weeks

Where is Webb added a mirror position tracker. The launch position was -12.5 mm, the nominal position is 0 mm. The mirrors move by about 1 mm per day, except A6 and A3 which will be moved separately later. About a week to go for most segments.

The cold side is now below -200 C.
Edit: I found an expected cooldown timeline

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too, Borg, Motore and 1 other person
mfb said:
The mirrors move by about 1 mm per day,
That's some very low gearing, I think. But things, in space, tend not to be intuitive.

sophiecentaur said:
That's some very low gearing, I think. But things, in space, tend not to be intuitive.
The actuators move in steps of a few nanometers - the precision needed for the mirror alignment. A centimeter is millions of steps. To keep the operation simple they move one at a time, too.

Sure, it would have been possible to add some extra actuators for the coarse alignment, but it would have been useless extra complexity. Cooling down JWST will take longer anyway, two weeks to move the mirrors is not an issue.

-5 mm

• Informative
Likes Oldman too, hutchphd, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
mfb said:
The actuators move in steps of a few nanometers - the precision needed for the mirror alignment. A centimeter is millions of steps. To keep the operation simple they move one at a time, too.

Sure, it would have been possible to add some extra actuators for the coarse alignment, but it would have been useless extra complexity. Cooling down JWST will take longer anyway, two weeks to move the mirrors is not an issue.

-5 mm

so when fully deployed, the viewing time is scheduled based to some extent on the direction the telescope points as the Earth orbits the sun? What about pointing the thing perpendicular to the orbital plane? That would take weeks to accomplish?

BWV said:
so when fully deployed, the viewing time is scheduled based to some extent on the direction the telescope points as the Earth orbits the sun? What about pointing the thing perpendicular to the orbital plane? That would take weeks to accomplish?
No. The whole telescope/sunscreen rotates driven by reaction wheels. This can happen quickly. At any point in time it can see nearly half the sky. See the pictures I posted in post #117.

• Informative
Likes phinds, BillTre, Keith_McClary and 2 others
Most mirrors have reached their nominal position, A3 and A6 have moved by half of the distance.
NASA's 1 mm/day estimate was very conservative.

Likes Keith_McClary
And soon, the L2 insertion burn will be occurring - 94% of the way there today.

Likes InkTide, Oldman too and Keith_McClary
So, what is Webb doing today? Where is Webb says it arrives at L2 with a velocity of 0.135 mi/s around 2pm EST. I've googled and found conflicting answers about whether there is a burn. Is there one?

It would need to have a thruster pointing "up" to do a burn to slow down, but wouldn't that be generating a lot of heat on the "cold" side?

https://www.republicworld.com/scien...-before-orbit-insertion-read-articleshow.html

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/57702/james-webb-orbit-insertion

Likes Oldman too
I see this from NASA.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/01/21/webbs-journey-to-l2-is-nearly-complete/

"On Monday, Jan. 24, engineers plan to instruct NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to complete a final correction burn that will place it into its desired orbit, nearly 1 million miles away from the Earth at what is called the second Sun-Earth Lagrange point, or “L2” for short."

Likes Oldman too and russ_watters
Houston, we have L2 Orbit. Flawless!

Likes Hamiltonian, DennisN, russ_watters and 10 others
Grinkle said:
I see this from NASA.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/01/21/webbs-journey-to-l2-is-nearly-complete/

"On Monday, Jan. 24, engineers plan to instruct NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to complete a final correction burn that will place it into its desired orbit, nearly 1 million miles away from the Earth at what is called the second Sun-Earth Lagrange point, or “L2” for short."
Thanks, so my questions are:

1. What direction relative to the spacecraft was the burn? (where was the thruster?)
2. Did it generate heat that could be problematic for the cold (cooling) instruments?

In addition:
"Where is Webb" still shows a cruising speed of 0.1255 mi/s (presumably the orbital speed?) and quite a large curve to orbit insertion (graphical license or freefall path?). And what's the orbit diameter? What are the corrections going to look like (perpendicular delta-V?)

russ_watters said:
It would need to have a thruster pointing "up" to do a burn to slow down, but wouldn't that be generating a lot of heat on the "cold" side?
It came in sideways, the thrust was somewhat in the general direction of the Sun. It's a three-dimensional problem and thinking of just slowing down/speeding up isn't representing the geometry of the orbit. Here is a good 2D projection. The displayed velocity is probably the velocity relative to L2, which is non-zero as it orbits L2 now.

Likes Oldman too and russ_watters
mfb said:
It came in sideways, the thrust was somewhat in the general direction of the Sun. It's a three-dimensional problem and thinking of just slowing down/speeding up isn't representing the geometry of the orbit. Here is a good 2D projection. The displayed velocity is probably the velocity relative to L2, which is non-zero as it orbits L2 now.
You might have been writing that while I was writing the prior post. That's the graphic I was referring to. So, it's fairly accurate? Googling for the topography of the Lagrange points, it is difficult to see how it is pulled into a roughly circular if unstable orbit (per the graphic). For example:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Lagrange_points2.svg

Anyway, it hadn't occurred to me that the reported speed and distance weren't along the same line. Though I guess at first they were closer to it.

Likes Oldman too
This site says that, "Webb's orbit is represented in this screenshot from our deployment video (below), roughly to scale; it is actually similar in size to the Moon's orbit around the Earth! This orbit (which takes Webb about 6 months to complete once)...". If we assume that the "orbit" around L2 is circular with a radius of 400,000 km (moon's orbit SMA is 380,000 km), and that it takes 180 days to complete, then the speed would be 0.16 km/sec, and its current speed is 0.20 km/sec. So it all makes sense.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda, sophiecentaur, mfb and 2 others

Likes mfb
russ_watters said:
1. What direction relative to the spacecraft was the burn? (where was the thruster?)
In the same way as getting to the right distance without retro firing, starting off (early deployment) can give the craft the right 'lateral' velocity so that it will be doing 30 days' worth of 'corkscrew' motion on the way. It will ideally not lose any of that translational / orbital energy as it slows down due to (radial with respect to Earth and Sun) potential energy. If the orbit around L2 takes six months (?) then it will have done around 360/6 = 60 degrees of corkscrew on the journey and arrived 'hanging there' and gently moving around in a large ellipse.

phyzguy said:
So it all makes sense.
(Yep. After a bit of brain ache and arm waving.)
Navigating is space does have some advantages in that there's no wind, air pressure or rain to deal with so it's more predictable.

You do have radiation pressure and solar wind. They can lead to larger trajectory uncertainties, especially with uncontrolled spacecraft . An old Falcon 9 upper stage might hit the Moon in March. It launched a NASA spacecraft to L1, somewhat similar to Ariane 5's launch of JWST to L2. People are studying it to get a better estimate. If it hits then the impact will be used to study the Moon, just like the many deliberate impacts in the past.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and sophiecentaur
Ah yes. Solar wind does vary too. It will always be outwards tho’ and must affect station keeping a bit.

The way I heard it described was the launch rocket gave it slightly less velocity than was needed to reach the final orbit, so rather than turning around and thrusting to slow down (which would expose the mirror and instruments to the Sun’s heat), the final burn had to add a small amount of speed in the direction it was already moving (the telescope has been slowing down continuously relative to Earth since launch).

Webb received an intentional slight under-burn from the Ariane-5 that launched it into space, because it’s not possible to correct for overthrust. If Webb gets too much thrust, it can’t turn around to move back toward Earth because that would directly expose its telescope optics and structure to the Sun, overheating them and aborting the science mission before it can even begin.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/12/25/the-first-mid-course-correction-burn/

• Informative
Likes Imager, Oldman too, collinsmark and 1 other person
You know, it just dawned on me that I finally understand the Dune song:
"
I was sent to
outer space
To find another happy place
Now I'm left here all alone
Million miles away from home
"
It was about Webb! 😆

Likes davenn, Hamiltonian, Lord Crc and 2 others
There is a new video out from Launch Pad Astronomy explaining the Web orbit really well (I think):

Likes Oldman too, collinsmark and sophiecentaur