Will geodesics remain the same on an ellipsoidal Earth?

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
In summary, creating a computer program to find the "as the crow flies" distance between two points on an ellipsoidal Earth would require using a mathematical model and numerical integration methods to solve the geodesic equations. This would be a challenging task due to the varying methods available and the need for computational power. The geodesics on a sphere and an ellipsoid would be the same in theory, but verifying this would require parameterizing and changing the spherical metric to an ellipsoidal one.
snoopies622
I am wondering about writing a computer program that will find the "as the crow flies" distance between any two points on the Earth's surface, assuming that the planet is not a sphere but an ellipsoid.

Question: will the geodesics be the same? My intuition says yes: If I imagine a spherical balloon with a rubber band stretched between two surface points, the rubber band doesn't shift position as I flatten the balloon.

But parameterizing a geodesic on a sphere and seeing if it remains a geodesic while changing the spherical metric to an ellipsoidal one.. Well, that sounds like quite a challenge.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would need to use a mathematical model of the Earth as an ellipsoid and use a numerical integration method to solve the geodesic equations. The numerical integration methods available vary depending on the desired accuracy and the computational power available.

Related to Will geodesics remain the same on an ellipsoidal Earth?

What is the distance between my current location and Mooresville?

The distance between two locations can vary depending on the starting point and mode of transportation. To find the distance between your current location and Mooresville, you can use a mapping service such as Google Maps or a GPS device.

How long does it take to travel to Mooresville?

The travel time to Mooresville will depend on the mode of transportation and the distance from your starting point. If driving, it can take between 1-2 hours to reach Mooresville from most cities in North Carolina.

What is the most efficient way to travel to Mooresville?

The most efficient way to travel to Mooresville will depend on your starting location and personal preferences. If you are coming from a nearby city, driving may be the most efficient option. However, if you are coming from a farther location, flying may be a quicker option.

Are there any public transportation options available to travel to Mooresville?

There is limited public transportation available in Mooresville, but there are some options such as the Amtrak train and Greyhound bus services. However, these may not be the most convenient or efficient options for reaching Mooresville.

Is there a toll road to get to Mooresville?

There are no toll roads to get to Mooresville. However, there may be tolls on highways leading to Mooresville, depending on your starting location. It's best to check your route beforehand to avoid any unexpected toll fees.