Why voltage in a short circuit is 0?

In summary, when there is a short circuit, the resistance becomes zero and the voltage also becomes zero in order to limit the current and prevent damage to the circuit. This is because no energy is needed to move charge in a circuit with zero resistance. It is important to understand the underlying physics rather than getting caught up in mathematical calculations involving zeros and infinities.
alexmath

I=U/R , R goes to 0, I goes to infinity => U=IR= 0 times infinity, i don't get it, why 0 "wins" here? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
alexmath said:

I=U/R , R goes to 0, I goes to infinity => U=IR= 0 times infinity, i don't get it, why 0 "wins" here? Thank you!

R goes to zero correct. So U must be zero so that current is finite. 1/0 is infinite 0/0 is finite.

In real circuits, I is always limited in some way (by the power supply, for example). Usually this is more important than the tiny resistance of wires.

Voltage is a measure of how much energy is needed to move charge from one point to another.
If the resistance is zero then no energy is needed.
Understanding of physics is the explanation, don't get tied up multiplying and dividing zeros and infinities.

In a short circuit, the resistance drops to almost zero, causing a very high current to flow through the circuit. This high current can cause damage to the circuit and can be dangerous. However, according to Ohm's law, voltage (U) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In the case of a short circuit, R is extremely small, and as a result, U also becomes very small. This means that the voltage in a short circuit is close to zero.

The reason why 0 "wins" in this scenario is because the resistance is so low that it essentially "overrides" the voltage. As the resistance approaches 0, the voltage also approaches 0, making it the dominant factor in the equation. It is important to note that even though the voltage may be close to 0 in a short circuit, the current can still be very high and dangerous. This is why it is important to have safety measures in place to prevent short circuits from occurring.

Related to Why voltage in a short circuit is 0?

1. Why is the voltage in a short circuit 0?

In a short circuit, the resistance between the two points in the circuit is extremely low, causing a large amount of current to flow. According to Ohm's Law, V=IR, when the resistance is very low, the voltage (V) must also be very low, approaching 0.

2. How does a short circuit affect voltage?

A short circuit causes a significant drop in voltage because it creates a pathway for current to flow with very little resistance. This results in a large amount of current being drawn from the source, leading to a decrease in voltage.

3. Can the voltage in a short circuit ever be greater than 0?

No, the voltage in a short circuit can never be greater than 0. This is because the resistance in a short circuit is so low that it causes a significant drop in voltage, approaching 0 according to Ohm's Law.

4. How does a short circuit affect the overall circuit?

A short circuit can have a damaging effect on the overall circuit. It can cause overheating, damage to components, and even lead to fires or explosions. In addition, it can disrupt the normal flow of current and affect the performance of the circuit.

5. Can a short circuit be prevented?

Yes, short circuits can be prevented by using proper insulation, ensuring proper connections and using circuit breakers or fuses. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain circuits to prevent short circuits from occurring.