Why don't we heat homes using air conditioners?

• Thread starter Jocko Homo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Heat
In summary: The high efficiency furnace is supposed to be more than 90% efficient, so why is the outtake air so warm? I eventually occurred to me that the outtake air can't be any cooler than the air in the house, so that probably explains why it's so warm. However, another idea occurred to me that the outtake air doesn't have to be passively done, and a heat pump could be used to transfer even more heat. This raises the question of why heat pumps aren't used to heat homes, especially for those who live in apartments that are electrically heated. Upon further research, it was found that heat pumps are designed to cool homes in
russ_watters said:
Again, the COP of a heat pump never drops below 1, so no, your space heater does not win.

This game is really tiring. You're being argumentative and making no effort at all to learn how these things actually work, trying to contrive a scenario where an electric might win while ignoring the regular usages where they never do. What you're doing is like saying walking is faster than driving because my car won't start in Antarctica. It's irrelevant and purposely evasive/argumentative. Logic has been posted that you refuse to think about and evidence has been posted that you refuse to look at. What's left to do? Perhaps you should email Carrier and tell them their performance spec is wrong.

I see.
I recuse myself from this disussion.
Best of luck to all.

Science news on Phys.org
pallidin said:
Not as good as a resistive space heater. Show me ANY evidence otherwise.
What?!
Jocko Homo said:
The heat pump can't be less efficient (loosely defined) than the "resisitive heater" because heat is the necessary by-product of the heat pump (aside from the noise, I guess, but I think the energy in that is trivial)...

For example, let's compare a heat pump using 1000 W of energy to a resistive heater using the same amount of energy. Obviously the resistive heater is going to produce 1000 W of heat energy. However, the heat pump will also produce that much heat energy (as its waste by-product, otherwise heat pumps can be perfectly efficient) plus whatever heat it was pumping from whatever reservoir it was connected to. Therefore, the heat pump can't be any worse than the resistive heater, hence my originating post...
You still haven't rebutted this... at all!

pallidin said:
Best of luck to all.
You too.
I recuse myself from this disussion.
I think that's a good idea, but more importantly, while dropping the fight, I still highly recommend you go back and read some of the evidence and discussion posted - read it for real, not as if people are trying to trick you to win a game. If you drop the fighting stance, you may yet be able to start learning. And don't worry - this really isn't about winning or losing, so I don't much care if you learn you are wrong and come back to admit it. The learning is what is important.

...and FYI, while it may feel clever to say you'd bet your paycheck on this issue, I actually do bet my paycheck (and my clients' money!) on this issue every day!