Why do we need a voltage regulator here?

In summary, this circuit uses a LM311 oscillator to generate a 5 volt DC output. The oscillator needs at least 2 volts of input to operate correctly, so a 9 volt battery or higher can be used. The LM7805 regulator chip helps to provide a stable 5 volt output.
Neyolight
Hi all

Here is the circuit that I will refer to: LINK : http://electronics-diy.com/lc_meter.php

Ok my first question, Why do we need a voltage comparator (LM311) there? A voltage comparator compare the + and - voltages and output the difference??

What I want to do is, measure the inductance of the L and then send that value to a computer for further analysis.

Thanks o:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The LM311 is working as an oscillator in this circuit and the frequency depends on the values of the inductor and capacitor in the circuit between pins 2 and 3.

The output is taken to the microprocessor from pin 7, so you could take this output to your computer if you wished. You would have to calibrate the output yourself, but the component values may be directly related to the output frequency.

The original kit has a programmed PIC 16F628 chip in it, so an unprogrammed one would not work.

It does seem a bit overpriced, though.
You could get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCR-Inductance-Capacitance-Multimeter-Meter-RCL-M05-/300548703185?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item45fa1943d1
for about $16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that vk6kro :smile:

Im still a bit confused as to how that circuit works. Let me divide that circuit into 3 parts:

1) Oscillator: Does this provide the alternating current the LC circuit needs to oscillate at resonant frequency? Does it also modify the frequency as the L in the LC circuit changes?

2) Battery : Circuit is using a 5V DC battery I believe

3) LC circuit

Neyolight said:

No its most likely using a 9V battery There's a 5V regulator there to provide a stable 5V for the osc cct and the PIC processor etc. The 7805 regulator needs at least 2V headroom for it to regulate correctly

cheers
Dave

Neyolight said:

Im still a bit confused as to how that circuit works. Let me divide that circuit into 3 parts:

1) Oscillator: Does this provide the alternating current the LC circuit needs to oscillate at resonant frequency? Does it also modify the frequency as the L in the LC circuit changes?

3) LC circuit

The oscillator uses a LM311 with positive feedback, but the feedback happens at the resonant frequency of the tuned circuit formed by the external L or C and carefully chosen internal components.

So, the oscillation happens only at the resonant frequency of the tuned circuit.

The oscillator is the entire combined LC circuit and the comparator chip.

The LM7805 chip produces 5 volts out but it must have about 7 volts minimum input to produce 5 volts out.
So, the supply can be 7 volts, 8 volts, 9 volts or anything up to about 37 volts which is the maximum rating of the LM7805. The chip will waste more power and get hotter with higher voltages.

There is a clearer diagram in this article and it may be easier to see how the oscillator works:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110500/article.html

Related to Why do we need a voltage regulator here?

1. Why is a voltage regulator necessary in an electronic circuit?

A voltage regulator is necessary in an electronic circuit to maintain a steady and constant output voltage, regardless of changes in the input voltage or load. This ensures that the components in the circuit receive a consistent and safe voltage, preventing damage and ensuring proper functioning of the circuit.

2. What happens if a voltage regulator is not used in a circuit?

If a voltage regulator is not used in a circuit, the output voltage can fluctuate greatly depending on the input voltage and load. This can cause damage to sensitive components and lead to inconsistent or unreliable operation of the circuit.

3. What are the different types of voltage regulators?

There are three main types of voltage regulators: linear regulators, switching regulators, and shunt regulators. Linear regulators use a series pass element to regulate the output voltage, while switching regulators use a switching element to control the output voltage. Shunt regulators use a shunt element to regulate the voltage by diverting excess current.

4. When is a voltage regulator typically used?

A voltage regulator is typically used in electronic circuits that require a stable and consistent output voltage, such as in power supplies, amplifiers, and microcontrollers. It is also commonly used in battery-powered devices to maintain a steady voltage as the battery drains.

5. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by comparing the output voltage to a reference voltage and adjusting the amount of current flowing through the regulator to maintain a constant output voltage. This is achieved through the use of internal circuitry and components such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors.