Why do these terms vanish in this solution?

• Thread starter rokyen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem where the person found the solution online but does not fully understand it. They are asking about the concept of functions evaluated from -∞ to +∞ vanishing and if it is related to calculus or quantum mechanics. The expert explains that this is a physical condition for wave functions to be zero at infinity, similar to an electric field being zero far away from a charge source. The person thanks the expert for clarifying.
rokyen

Homework Statement

I was given this problem as homework and managed to find the solution online, but I don't fully understand it.

ANoeS.jpg

My only question, and the reason I was getting this problem wrong, is because I wasn't realizing that the functions evaluated from -∞ to +∞ were vanishing. Is this a concept from calculus I'm not understanding or is this related somehow to a QM postulate or something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

That condition is just a physicality condition on f. f is a wave function so the physical interpretation of this is that any wave function or derivatives of wave functions must vanish or be zero at infinity. Its kind of like an electric field due to a charge source being zero really far away from the charge source. Its a simplifying assumption.

Ah, thanks.

Related to Why do these terms vanish in this solution?

1. Why do some terms disappear in certain solutions?

Some terms may disappear in solutions due to cancellation or simplification of equations. This can happen when the variables involved have opposite signs or when the terms have common factors that can be factored out.

2. How does the concentration of a solution affect the disappearance of terms?

The concentration of a solution can affect the disappearance of terms by changing the values of the variables involved. In some cases, a higher concentration may lead to the disappearance of certain terms due to increased interactions between the components of the solution.

3. Can the disappearance of terms in a solution be predicted?

In some cases, the disappearance of terms in a solution can be predicted based on the properties of the components involved and the type of reaction taking place. However, in more complex systems, it may be difficult to accurately predict the disappearance of terms.

4. Are there any factors other than concentration that can cause terms to vanish in a solution?

Yes, there are other factors that can cause terms to disappear in a solution. These can include temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. These factors can affect the rate of reactions and the interactions between components, leading to the disappearance of certain terms.

5. How can the disappearance of terms in a solution be explained using chemical equations?

The disappearance of terms in a solution can be explained using chemical equations by balancing the reactants and products and considering the stoichiometry of the reaction. This can help to identify which terms will disappear and which ones will be present in the final solution.