Why do absolute values appear in the simplification of square roots?

In summary, when simplifying equations with radicals, use y^{10} to remember that an absolute value is not needed. If x is an even power, that result is non-negative.
Rably

Homework Statement

Simplify.

a) [tex]\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
b) [tex]8 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}} - 10 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}}[/tex]

For b, it's y^10. I can't make it look right for some reason.
Mod note: Fixed the exponent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can simplify all of them but I don't know when or where I need to put in absolute value symbols to the solution. I know the solution because my book shows me, but I don't understand why the absolute values are where they are.

For instance, the solution to a is [tex]|x^3|[/tex] but I can only get to [tex]x^3[/tex] without becoming confused.
For b, i can get to [tex]-2x^3y^5 \sqrt{x}[/tex] but the solution is [tex]-2x^3|y^5| \sqrt{x}[/tex]
So how do you know when an absolute value is required?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rably said:

Homework Statement

Simplify.

a) [tex]\sqrt{x^6}[/tex]
b) [tex]8 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}} - 10 \sqrt{x^7y^{10}}[/tex]
For b, it's y^10. I can't make it look right for some reason.
Use y^{10}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can simplify all of them but I don't know when or where I need to put in absolute value symbols to the solution. I know the solution because my book shows me, but I don't understand why the absolute values are where they are.

For instance, the solution to a is [tex]|x^3|[/tex] but I can only get to [tex]x^3[/tex] without becoming confused.
For b, i can get to [tex]-2x^3y^5 \sqrt{x}[/tex] but the solution is [tex]-2x^3|y^5| \sqrt{x}[/tex]
So how do you know when an absolute value is required?
[itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{u^2}=|u|[/itex]

Also, remember that if n is a positive integer, then [itex]u^{2n}\ge0\,,[/itex] so there is no need to use absolute value.

So in my scenario, x has to be positive because it's still underneath the square root so I don't need to put an absolute value around x^3, whereas y can be either positive or negative because it's not still beneath the square root so an absolute value is required?

Rably said:
So in my scenario, x has to be positive because it's still underneath the square root
No. x can be any real number.

Like SammyS said,
$$ \sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$

so
$$ \sqrt{x^6} = \sqrt{(x^3)^2} = |x^3|$$

This is also the same as |x|3.
Rably said:
so I don't need to put an absolute value around x^3, whereas y can be either positive or negative because it's not still beneath the square root so an absolute value is required?

Rably said:
So in my scenario, x has to be positive because it's still underneath the square root so I don't need to put an absolute value around x^3, whereas y can be either positive or negative because it's not still beneath the square root so an absolute value is required?
Which scenario ?

If x is to an even power, that result is non-negative. So that can be under a radical -- actually one signifying a square root -- no matter what value x has.

SammyS said:
Which scenario ?

If x is to an even power, that result is non-negative. So that can be under a radical -- actually one signifying a square root -- no matter what value x has.

I was referring to question b. Do you mean if x has an even power in the initial equation or in the solution?

Mark44 said:
No. x can be any real number.

Like SammyS said,
$$ \sqrt{x^2} = |x|$$

so
$$ \sqrt{x^6} = \sqrt{(x^3)^2} = |x^3|$$

This is also the same as |x|3.

Oh wow, I think it makes sense now. Seeing the step between x^6 and |x^3| was really helpful. I wasn't writing that step down, I was simply skipping to the final step. Thanks a bunch.

Related to Why do absolute values appear in the simplification of square roots?

1. What does it mean to simplify absolute values?

Simplifying absolute values means to find a simpler form of an expression that contains absolute value notation, typically by removing the absolute value bars and replacing the expression inside with its positive equivalent.

2. How do I simplify absolute values with variables?

To simplify absolute values with variables, you can follow these steps: 1) Identify any possible cases where the expression inside the absolute value is either positive or negative. 2) Rewrite the expression without using absolute value notation for each case. 3) Combine the two cases into a single expression.

3. Can you give an example of simplifying absolute values?

Sure, for the expression |x-5|, we can rewrite it as x-5 when x≥5 and -(x-5) when x<5. Then, we can simplify it to the equivalent expression of 5-x for x≥5 and x-5 for x<5.

4. Is it possible to simplify absolute values with fractions?

Yes, you can simplify absolute values with fractions by following the same steps as simplifying absolute values with variables. Just make sure to be careful with the signs when rewriting the expression without using absolute value notation.

5. Why is it important to simplify absolute values?

Simplifying absolute values can help make expressions easier to work with and solve, especially in more complex math problems. It can also help us better understand the behavior of a function and its graph.