How to find the range of a function with square roots?

arham_jain_hsr
Homework Statement
Find the domain and range of f(x)=√(9-x^2)
Relevant Equations
N/A
$$y = f(x) = \sqrt{9-x^2}$$
According to me,
Domain: $$ 9-x^2 \geq 0 \implies (x+3)(x-3) \leq 0 \implies x \in [-3,3] $$
which is correct, but this is how I calculate the range:
$$y = \sqrt{9-x^2} \implies y^2 = 9-x^2 \implies x^2 = 9-y^2$$
Now, since $$ 9-x^2 \geq 0 $$
we get $$9-9+y^2 \geq 0 \implies y^2 \geq 0 \implies y \geq 0$$
$$\therefore y\in[0,\infty)$$
But, the correct answer is supposed to be [0, 3]. Where did I go wrong in my approach? Also, how do I tackle similar problems algebraically?
The reason I think the answer "should" have been correct is that I think that y is only restricted by values of x. So, if we use the domain as a constraint on y, we should get the range of y. But, somehow that yields the wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, an implication is not reversible. If you conclude that ##\Rightarrow \ f(x) \ge 0##, then that does not mean that the range of ##f## is ##[0, \infty)##. For example, if ##f(x) = 1##, then ##f(x) \ge 0##, but the range of ##f## is only the single point ##1##.

The range is precisely the set of possible functions values. Not any set which contains those function values.

PS to emphasise the point, for any function you can conclude that ##\Rightarrow \ f(x) \in \mathbb R##.

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and MatinSAR
PS if the range of ##f## is ##[0, \infty)##, the you should be able to find ##x## such that ##f(x) = 4##. Is that possible?

PeroK said:
In general, an implication is not reversible. If you conclude that ##\Rightarrow \ f(x) \ge 0##, then that does not mean that the range of ##f## is ##[0, \infty)##. For example, if ##f(x) = 1##, then ##f(x) \ge 0##, but the range of ##f## is only the single point ##1##.

The range is precisely the set of possible functions values. Not any set which contains those function values.

PS to emphasise the point, for any function you can conclude that ##\Rightarrow \ f(x) \in \mathbb R##.

My idea was that there is only one condition on what y is like. And, therefore after applying that condition, whatever interval we get for y should be the required range.

Like, in my case, I thought the range of y is [itex][0, \infty)[/itex] because I didn't know anything else about y (other than its relation to x) that could possibly narrow the range down.

PeroK said:
PS if the range of ##f## is ##[0, \infty)##, the you should be able to find ##x## such that ##f(x) = 4##. Is that possible?

I supposed that by "using" [itex]9 - x^2 > 0[/itex] to find my answer, the interval of y that I get would be such that it complied with [itex]9 - x^2 > 0[/itex].

arham_jain_hsr said:
My idea was that there is only one condition on what y is like. And, therefore after applying that condition, whatever interval we get for y should be the required range.

Like, in my case, I thought the range of y is [itex][0, \infty)[/itex] because I didn't know anything else about y (other than its relation to x) that could possibly narrow the range down.
You know a lot more about ##y## than it's just any non-negative number.
arham_jain_hsr said:
I supposed that by "using" [itex]9 - x^2 > 0[/itex] to find my answer, the interval of y that I get would be such that it complied with [itex]9 - x^2 > 0[/itex].
Exactly! Or, sketch a graph of the function.

Likes MatinSAR
arham_jain_hsr said:
Homework Statement: Find the domain and range of f(x)=√(9-x^2)
Relevant Equations: N/A

Also, how do I tackle similar problems algebraically?
You can also start from ##-x^2 \leq 0 ## then try to create ##f(x)## on one side of this inequality the other side will help you find the range.

PeroK said:
You know a lot more about ##y## than it's just any non-negative number.

Exactly! Or, sketch a graph of the function.

But, why does my approach yield the wrong answer?

Maybe if you set ##y=f(x)##, square both sides, you'll obtain a revognizable expression that will help you determine the range.

Last edited:
arham_jain_hsr said:
But, why does my approach yield the wrong answer?
I already explained that. The range is the precise set of values that ##f(x)## can take. You didn't look for the precise set of values. You just noted that the range is a subset of ##[0, \infty)## and then stopped there. You didn't use the other information about ##f##.

PS to take an example. Find the range of the function ##f(x) = x^2 + 1##?

Your solution: ##f(x) > 0##, so the range is ##[0, \infty)##.

My solution: the range is precisely ##[1, \infty)##.

arham_jain_hsr said:
A circle at origin with radius 3 units?
Precisely.

WWGD said:
Precisely.
Oh, so, since it represents a circle, y may vary from -3 to +3. We are getting this because we lost the information that y must be positive in the process of squaring both sides. So, reconsidering that, we get the range [0, 3].

Well, I think my confusion can be better stated as follows:
Why, if I derived my answer from the fact that "[itex]9 - x ^ 2[/itex] should be greater than equal to [itex]0[/itex]", am I getting an answer that allows values of [itex]y[/itex] for which [itex]x[/itex] is greater than [itex]3[/itex]?

arham_jain_hsr said:
Why, if I derived my answer from the fact that "[itex]9 - x ^ 2[/itex] should be greater than equal to [itex]0[/itex]", am I getting an answer that allows values of [itex]y[/itex] for which [itex]x[/itex] is greater than [itex]3[/itex]?
Well, ##9-x^2 \geq 0 ## doesn't exclude values for ##x## in ##[-3,0]##.

arham_jain_hsr said:
I already explained that. You simply showed that ##y \ge 0##. That's true, but not the whole story. I'll repost post #2, which you either didn't read or didn't understand.
PeroK said:

Likes MatinSAR
Oh, ok. Now, I understand. As it appears, my flaw here is pretty silly. So, basically, to find the domain, I "used" the fact that [itex]y^2 = 9 - x^2 \geq 0[/itex]. That's fine, because the fact that [itex]y^2[/itex] should be greater than [itex]0[/itex] puts a constraint on what the possible values of [itex]x[/itex] can be.
Now, here, I am trying to use the same piece of information [itex]y^2>0[/itex] (which due to the substitution, I was illusioned to think is something "novel") to find the range. But, the problem is that this piece of information doesn't restrict the values of [itex]y[/itex] to what is supported by the possible values of [itex]x[/itex].
And, hence unless and until I "constrain" the values of [itex]y[/itex] as described by the question, I won't get the correct range. For example, if I'd rather begun from [itex]x^2 = 9 - y^2 > 0[/itex], therefore restricting the values of [itex]y[/itex] "based" on the possible values of [itex]x[/itex], I'd indeed have arrived at the correct range for this relation. (Of course, limiting the values of y to positive real numbers only)

Thank you so much for helping me understand 🙏 @PeroK @MatinSAR @WWGD @DaveE :)

Likes MatinSAR, DaveE and WWGD
arham_jain_hsr said:
As it appears, my flaw here is pretty silly. So, basically, to find the domain, I "used" the fact that [itex]y^2 = 9 - x^2 \geq 0[/itex]. That's fine, because the fact that [itex]y^2[/itex] should be greater than [itex]0[/itex] puts a constraint on what the possible values of [itex]x[/itex] can be.
I'm not sure you understand, yet. ##y^2##, merely by virtue of being the square of a real number, will always be greater than or equal to zero. The same is true of ##x^2##. This means that the largest value of ##y^2## is 9, hence ##y \in [-3, 3]##. But since the original equation is ##y = \sqrt{9 - x^2}##, that means the smallest value of y is 0.
arham_jain_hsr said:
Now, here, I am trying to use the same piece of information [itex]y^2>0[/itex] (which due to the substitution, I was illusioned to think is something "novel") to find the range. But, the problem is that this piece of information doesn't restrict the values of [itex]y[/itex] to what is supported by the possible values of [itex]x[/itex].

Likes MatinSAR and SammyS
I agree with @Mark44. I would have noted that:
$$0 \le \sqrt{9-x^2} \le 3$$Informally, you can then conclude that the range of ##f## is ##[0,3]##. Technically, however, you still have to show that for any ##y \in [0,3]## you can find ##x## such that ##f(x)=y##.

Likes Delta2 and MatinSAR
Mark44 said:
I'm not sure you understand, yet. ##y^2##, merely by virtue of being the square of a real number, will always be greater than or equal to zero. The same is true of ##x^2##. This means that the largest value of ##y^2## is 9, hence ##y \in [-3, 3]##. But since the original equation is ##y = \sqrt{9 - x^2}##, that means the smallest value of y is 0.
I'm sorry. I don't get you. Isn't that exactly what I said as well?

arham_jain_hsr said:
I'm sorry. I don't get you. Isn't that exactly what I said as well?
It's hard for me to say, but I don't think so. Here's what you said:
arham_jain_hsr said:
Now, here, I am trying to use the same piece of information
[itex]y^2>0[/itex] (which due to the substitution, I was illusioned to think is something "novel") to find the range. But, the problem is that this piece of information doesn't restrict the values of [itex]y[/itex] to what is supported by the possible values of [itex]x[/itex].
And, hence unless and until I "constrain" the values of [itex]y[/itex] as described by the question, I won't get the correct range. For example, if I'd rather begun from [itex]x^2 = 9 - y^2 > 0[/itex], therefore restricting the values of [itex]y[/itex] "based" on the possible values of [itex]x[/itex], I'd indeed have arrived at the correct range for this relation. (Of course, limiting the values of y to positive real numbers only)
You wrote ##y^2 > 0## which really should be ##y^2 \ge 0##, and this has nothing to do with any substitution, but only due to the fact that the square of a real number has to be nonnegative. Then you made a diversion to another equation, ##x^2 = 9 - y^2##, and seemed to miss the fact that ## 0 \le y = \sqrt{9 - x^2} \le 3##, which gives you the range.
As far as the domain, ##9 - x^2 \ge 0 \Rightarrow -3 \le x \le 3##.

Likes arham_jain_hsr, MatinSAR and PeroK
Mark44 said:
It's hard for me to say, but I don't think so. Here's what you said:
You wrote ##y^2 > 0## which really should be ##y^2 \ge 0##, and this has nothing to do with any substitution, but only due to the fact that the square of a real number has to be nonnegative. Then you made a diversion to another equation, ##x^2 = 9 - y^2##, and seemed to miss the fact that ## 0 \le y = \sqrt{9 - x^2} \le 3##, which gives you the range.
As far as the domain, ##9 - x^2 \ge 0 \Rightarrow -3 \le x \le 3##.
Noted. Thanks for pointing that out.