When Does the Norm of the Sum Equal the Sum of Norms for Integral Operators?

• MHB
  • Thread starter sarrah1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm Sum
In summary: However, it is not always true that the sum of two norms is equal to the sum of the norms themselves. For example, consider the case of the absolute value norm. That norm satisfies the triangle inequality, but it is not the usual norm on which two sums of absolute values are equal.
sarrah1
Hi
I have 2 linear integral operators

$(Ku)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,t)u(t)dt$
$(Mu)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,m(x,t)u(t)dt$

I am defining $||K||=max([x\in[a,b]\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,t| dt$ same for $L$

when does $||K+M||=||K||+||M||$
thanks
sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
sarrah said:
Hi
I have 2 linear integral operators

$(Ku)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,t)u(t)dt$
$(Mu)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,m(x,t)u(t)dt$

I am defining $||K||=max([x\in[a,b]\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,t| dt$ same for $L$

when does $||K+M||=||K||+||M||$
thanks
sarrah
I believe that the answer will be "hardly ever". Notice that $\int_{a}^{b}|k(x,t)|\, dt$ and $\int_{a}^{b}|m(x,t)| \,dt$ are both functions (of $x$), and the sup norm of a sum of two functions is very seldom equal to the sum of the sup norms of the functions. In fact, equality only occurs if the two functions attain their maximum at the same point.

Opalg said:
I believe that the answer will be "hardly ever". Notice that $\int_{a}^{b}|k(x,t)|\, dt$ and $\int_{a}^{b}|m(x,t)| \,dt$ are both functions (of $x$), and the sup norm of a sum of two functions is very seldom equal to the sum of the sup norms of the functions. In fact, equality only occurs if the two functions attain their maximum at the same point.

Dear Oplag
you are always of great help.
But if a,,b greater than 0 and both k(x,t) and m(x,t) are represented by series of positive terms only or negative terms only, like $k(x,t)=sinhxt$ and $m(x,t)=xt+x^3t^3/3!$ i.e. $m(x,t)$ and $k(x,t)$ reach their maximum at point b then $||M||+||K-M||=||K||. right ?

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Oplag
you are always of great help.
But if a,b greater than 0 and both k(x,t) and m(x,t) are represented by series of positive terms only or negative terms only, like k(x,t)=sinhxt and m(x,t)=xt+x 3 t 3 /3! i.e. m(x,t) and k(x,t) reach their maximum at point b then $||M||+||K-M||=||K||. right ?

sarrah said:
But if a,b greater than 0 and both k(x,t) and m(x,t) are represented by series of positive terms only or negative terms only, like k(x,t)=sinhxt and m(x,t)=xt+x 3 t 3 /3! i.e. m(x,t) and k(x,t) reach their maximum at point b then $||M||+||K-M||=||K||. right ?
That is correct. In that case, the functions both attain their maximum at the endpoint $b$, so that is the exceptional situation when the norm of the sum is the sum of the norms.

Dear Oplag
final 2 small questions and I wouldn't bother you anymore:

1. When I write $||K||=max ( x\in[a,b])\int_{a}^{b} \,|k(x,t)| dt$ should I write $||K||\infty$ on the L.H.S instead of $||K||$ only

2. For 2 linear integral operators $K$ and $M$ say is $||K+M||\le||K||+||M||$ ? always
thanks
sarrah

sarrah said:
1. When I write $||K||=\max ( x\in[a,b])\int_{a}^{b}|k(x,t)|\, dt$ should I write $||K||_\infty$ on the L.H.S instead of $||K||$ only
Personally, I would not put a subscript $\infty$ against that norm. That subscript usually indicates a supremum norm, which in this case would mean the norm \(\displaystyle \|K\|_\infty = \max_{x,t\in[a,b]}|k(x,t)|.\) But the norm here is a "mixed norm", obtained by using the sup norm for the $x$ variable and the $L^1$-norm (the integral norm) for the $t$ variable.

sarrah said:
2. For 2 linear integral operators $K$ and $M$ say is $||K+M||\le||K||+||M||$ ? always
It is part of the definition of a norm that it should satisfy the triangle inequality $\|A+B\| \leqslant \|A\|+\|B\|$. That certainly applies in the case of this integral norm.

Related to When Does the Norm of the Sum Equal the Sum of Norms for Integral Operators?

1. What is the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" in mathematics?

The "norm" of a mathematical object, such as a vector or a matrix, is a measure of its size or magnitude. The "norm of sum" refers to the norm of the sum of two or more mathematical objects, while the "sum of norms" refers to the sum of the norms of each individual object. In other words, the "norm of sum" is a single value that represents the combined size of multiple objects, while the "sum of norms" is the total of the individual sizes of each object.

2. How are the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" calculated?

The specific calculation for the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" depends on the type of mathematical objects involved. For vectors, the norm is typically calculated using the Pythagorean theorem (square root of the sum of the squared components). For matrices, there are different types of norms that can be used, such as the Frobenius norm or the maximum absolute column sum norm. The "norm of sum" is then calculated by taking the norm of the combined vector or matrix, while the "sum of norms" is calculated by taking the norm of each individual vector or matrix and then adding them together.

3. What is the purpose of using the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" in mathematics?

The "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" are useful concepts in mathematics because they allow us to quantify the magnitude of multiple objects at once. This can be helpful in many applications, such as optimization problems, where we want to find the minimum or maximum value of a function that depends on multiple variables. By using the "norm of sum" or "sum of norms", we can simplify the problem and find a solution more efficiently.

4. Are the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" always equal?

No, the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms" are not always equal. In fact, they are usually different unless all of the individual objects have the same norm. This is because the "norm of sum" takes into account the relationship between the objects, while the "sum of norms" treats each object separately.

5. Are there any other related concepts to the "norm of sum" and "sum of norms"?

Yes, there are several related concepts in mathematics, such as the "norm of difference" (the norm of the difference between two objects), the "sum of squares" (the sum of the squared components of an object), and the "norm of product" (the norm of the product of two objects). These concepts are all related to measuring the size or magnitude of mathematical objects and can be useful in different contexts.