How Can I Calculate the Norm of the Operator \(I-L^{-1}K\)?

In summary, you need to find the eigenvalues of the operator $I-{L}^{-1} K$, or at least the norm $|I-{L}^{-1}K|$.
sarrah1
I have a linear integral operator

$K\psi=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) \psi(s) ds$

$L\psi=\int_{a}^{b} \,l(x,s) \psi(s) ds$

both are continuous

I know how to obtain the eigenvalues of each alone.

But how can I calculate the eigenvalues of the operator $I-{L}^{-1} K$ or at least the norm $||I-{L}^{-1} K||$
the reason I want to check if it is less than unity

thanks
Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be helpful to mention that since $L(I-L^{-1}K)=L-K$, that therefore $\|L-K\| \le \|L\| \cdot \|I-L^{-1}K\|$?

thank you
but this gives a lower bound and I need an upper bound
thanks anyway for your help
sarrah

sarrah said:
I have a linear integral operator

$K\psi=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) \psi(s) ds$

$L\psi=\int_{a}^{b} \,l(x,s) \psi(s) ds$

both are continuous

I know how to obtain the eigenvalues of each alone.

But how can I calculate the eigenvalues of the operator $I-{L}^{-1} K$ or at least the norm $||I-{L}^{-1} K||$
the reason I want to check if it is less than unity

thanks
Sarrah
How about $\|I-{L}^{-1} K\| = \|{L}^{-1}(L-K)\| \leqslant \|{L}^{-1}\|\|L-K\|$ as a starting point? To show that this is small, you would need to have an estimate for $\|{L}^{-1}\|$ and also to know that $L$ is suitably close to $K$. Unless you have some extra condition saying that $\|L-K\|$ is small, I doubt whether it will necessarily be true that $\|I-{L}^{-1} K\| < 1.$

thank you very much Oplag

Again it's always you who run for help.

Your idea is smart in the sense you made it depending on $||L−K||$ and $||{L}^{-1}||$. How easy and simple.

HOWEVER although I can estimate a bound for $||L−K||$ i.e. to control this difference. But what about $||{L}^{-1}||$. This I can't tell anything about. I happened to have asked this question here, how can I calculate the inverse of a linear integral operator. If this is possible then half my journey is done. I am well versed in matrices and the inverse exists if the matrix is nonsingular. Does equally ${L}^{-1}$ has inverse eigenvalues of $L$ for instance like matrices. But how can I get this inverse? Even if the spectral radius is equal to 1/smallest eigenvalue in modulus of $L$ it will be less than $||{L}^{-1}||$ and not larger in order to obtain a bound for the latter.

Unfortunately $L$ and $K$ don't commute otherwise they can have I suppose the same eigenfunctions and I can work directly on the spectral radius of $||I-{L}^{-1}K||$

To elucidate more: My problem concerns the solution of a Fredholm 1st kind integral equation which is involved. Its kernel is $k(x,s)$ i.e. $f(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s)\psi(s) ds$ which I know. I am trying to substitute it by another kernel $l(x,s)$ which I can also choose. I have some algorithm which converges if $||I-{L}^{-1}K||$<1
thank you once more
Sarrah

Related to How Can I Calculate the Norm of the Operator \(I-L^{-1}K\)?

What is the norm of an integral operator?

The norm of an integral operator is a mathematical concept that measures the size or magnitude of the operator. It is a way to quantify the effect of the operator on the functions it operates on.

How is the norm of an integral operator calculated?

The norm of an integral operator is typically calculated using the L^p norm, where p is a positive real number. It is defined as the supremum of the ratio of the norm of the operator applied to a function to the norm of the function itself.

What is the significance of the norm of an integral operator?

The norm of an integral operator plays an important role in functional analysis and operator theory. It is used to study the behavior and properties of integral operators, and it can also be used to determine convergence of series involving integral operators.

How does the norm of an integral operator relate to its eigenvalues?

The norm of an integral operator is equal to the absolute value of its largest eigenvalue. This is known as the spectral radius and it provides important information about the operator, such as its stability and convergence properties.

Can the norm of an integral operator be infinite?

Yes, the norm of an integral operator can be infinite. This occurs when the operator is unbounded, meaning that it can grow without bound when applied to certain functions. In these cases, the operator is not considered to be a bounded linear operator.