What's the Correct Interpretation of |r| in Math?

In summary, the absolute value of r, |r|, does not only represent positive values of r, but also includes all values of r within 1 unit of 0. This means that |r| < 1 and -1 < r < 1 are equivalent statements. The hint should read |r|<1 means -1<r<1.
phospho
udhlG.png

I thought |r| means the positive values of r? Why do they say it means -1<r<1? Also, if |r| means -1<r<1 then why do they say |r|<1 when |r| is already -1<r<1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
I thought |r| means the positive values of r?
No that's not what |r| means. It means all of the values of r that are within 1 unit of 0. That would include -.5, for example, not just positive values (and zero) of r.
phospho said:
Why do they say it means -1<r<1? Also, if |r| means -1<r<1 then why do they say |r|<1 when |r| is already -1<r<1 ?

These two statements say exactly the same thing: |r| < 1 and -1 < r < 1. They are equivalent statements.

Mark44 said:
No that's not what |r| means. It means all of the values of r that are within 1 unit of 0. That would include -.5, for example, not just positive values (and zero) of r.

These two statements say exactly the same thing: |r| < 1 and -1 < r < 1. They are equivalent statements.

|r| is it not the absolute value of r? if so then I don't understand how it can be negative.

how can they also be equivalent when they said |r| is -1<r<1 then they are saying |r|<1, which is -1<r<1 < 1?

phospho said:
|r| is it not the absolute value of r?
Yes
phospho said:
if so then I don't understand how it can be negative.
Who is "it"? There are two things we're talking about here - r and |r|. Which one do you mean?
phospho said:
how can they also be equivalent when they said |r| is -1<r<1
No. I didn't say "|r| is -1<r<1".

I said that |r| < 1 (first statement) and -1 < r < 1 (second statement) were two statements that said exactly the same thing. They are equivalent statements.
phospho said:
then they are saying |r|<1, which is -1<r<1 < 1?
Now, who are "they"? I said that |r|<1 and -1<r<1 [STRIKE]< 1[/STRIKE] were equivalent statements

There is a typo in the hint. It should be: |r|<1 means -1<r<1.

Erland said:
There is a typo in the hint. It should be: |r|<1 means -1<r<1.
To be honest, I didn't notice that. I have my browser open to less than full-screen width, and didn't notice that hint way off to the right.

Related to What's the Correct Interpretation of |r| in Math?

1. What is modulus in mathematics?

Modulus, also known as the absolute value, is a mathematical operation that determines the magnitude or size of a number. It is denoted by two vertical bars surrounding the number, and it always results in a positive value.

2. How is modulus used in programming?

In programming, modulus is often used to determine the remainder of a division operation. This is useful in tasks such as finding even or odd numbers, or determining leap years. It can also be used in cryptography to generate random numbers.

3. What are some real-world applications of modulus?

Modulus has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to calculate electric currents in circuits, analyze the strength of materials, and determine the profitability of investments.

4. Can modulus be negative?

Yes, modulus can be negative. When applied to a negative number, the result will be its positive counterpart. However, in some programming languages, the modulus operation on a negative number will also return a negative value.

5. How is modulus related to absolute value?

Modulus and absolute value are essentially the same operation. They both result in the positive value of a number, regardless of its sign. The only difference is that modulus is used in mathematical operations, while absolute value is used for descriptive purposes.