In the expansion of ##(1+x)^n##, the coefficients of terms equidistant from the beginning and the end are equal

• Thread starter RChristenk
  • Start date
RChristenk
Homework Statement
In the expansion of ##(1+x)^n##, the coefficients of terms equidistant from the beginning and the end are equal.
Relevant Equations
Binomial Theorem
I'm having trouble with this concept:

In the expansion of ##(1+x)^n##, the coefficients of terms equidistant from the beginning and the end are equal.
The coefficient of the ##(r+1)^{th}## term from the beginning is ##^nC_r##. The ##(r+1)^{th}## term from the end has ##n+1−(r+1)##, or ##n−r## terms before it; therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term, and its coefficient is ##^nC_{n−r}##, which is equal to ##^nC_r##.

I understand this until "therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term". Where did ##(n−r+1)^{th}## come from?

For example ##(1+x)^6= x^6+6x^5y+15x^4y^2+20x^3y^3+15x^2y^4+6xy^5+y^6##

Let ##r=2##, then the ##(r+1)##, or third term, has the coefficient ##^6C_2=15##. This is correct since the third term is ##15x^4y^2##.

From the end, the third term has ##6+1-(2+1)=4## terms before it, which is also correct (after the third term, it is these four terms: ##20x^3y^3+15x^2y^4+6xy^5+y^6##).

"therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term". Plugging in values gives the correct answer, ##6-2+1=5##, but I cannot understand what ##(n-r+1)## actually means or where it is derived from. I have no intuition about this part. Thanks for the assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
RChristenk said:
Homework Statement: In the expansion of ##(1+x)^n##, the coefficients of terms equidistant from the beginning and the end are equal.
Relevant Equations: Binomial Theorem

I'm having trouble with this concept:

The coefficient of the ##(r+1)^{th}## term from the beginning is ##^nC_r##. The ##(r+1)^{th}## term from the end has ##n+1−(r+1)##, or ##n−r## terms before it; therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term, and its coefficient is ##^nC_{n−r}##, which is equal to ##^nC_r##.

I understand this until "therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term". Where did ##(n−r+1)^{th}## come from?

For example ##(1+x)^6= x^6+6x^5y+15x^4y^2+20x^3y^3+15x^2y^4+6xy^5+y^6##

Let ##r=2##, then the ##(r+1)##, or third term, has the coefficient ##^6C_2=15##. This is correct since the third term is ##15x^4y^2##.

From the end, the third term has ##6+1-(2+1)=4## terms before it, which is also correct (after the third term, it is these four terms: ##20x^3y^3+15x^2y^4+6xy^5+y^6##).

"therefore counting from the beginning it is the ##(n−r+1)^{th}## term". Plugging in values gives the correct answer, ##6-2+1=5##, but I cannot understand what ##(n-r+1)## actually means or where it is derived from. I have no intuition about this part. Thanks for the assistance.
The expansion of ##(1 + x)^n## has n + 1 terms. If you look at the rth term from the beginning, then the rth term from the other end will have the same coefficient. That would be the (n+1)-r th term.

-Dan

Likes FactChecker
One can see the symmetry of the coefficients in Pascal's Triangle. Below are the coefficients of ##(1 + x)^n## for the first few values of n.
1 (n = 0)
1 1 (n = 1)
1 2 1 (n = 2)
1 3 3 1 (n = 3)
1 4 6 4 1 (n = 4)
and so on.

Likes topsquark and WWGD
Mark44 said:
One can see the symmetry of the coefficients in Pascal's Triangle. Below are the coefficients of ##(1 + x)^n## for the first few values of n.
1 (n = 0)
1 1 (n = 1)
1 2 1 (n = 2)
1 3 3 1 (n = 3)
1 4 6 4 1 (n = 4)
and so on.
And there's a recursion rule to Pascal 's Triangle that proves the symmetry.

Likes topsquark