Binomial Expansion Coefficient of x^n

In summary: I'm pretty sure it's obvious that the answer is 2^n/n! .In summary, based on the given conversation, it can be determined that the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of the given polynomial is 2^n/n! and it can be found by summing the two-by-two products of the coefficients of the polynomial's factors. This can also be seen by comparing the difference between the product and the power series expansion of e^(2x). The sum can be simplified to n!/(k!(n-k)!), which is a well-known formula, and the answer is 2^n/n!.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of ( 1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ... + x^n/n! )^2 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance, this looks like the polynomial form of e^x, but the expansion of e^x goes to infinity, so any use of that seems ruled out. Furthermore, I can't try expanding this or writing it in terms of the rth term and equating the power of x to n and doing something with that. Basically, I don't know how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of ( 1 + x/1! + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ... + x^n/n! )^2 .

Homework Equations

At first glance, this looks like the polynomial form of e^x, but the expansion of e^x goes to infinity, so any use of that seems ruled out. Furthermore, I can't try expanding this or writing it in terms of the rth term and equating the power of x to n and doing something with that. Basically, I don't know how to begin.

Ask yourself whether the terms that are missing from the expansion of e^x would make any difference to the coefficient of the x^n term.

erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Why not work it out for n = 2, n = 3 and possibility n =4 and see if you can work out what's happening.

I tried for n=2, I got 2. However, looking at it, I don't see any pattern that might be of much use for figuring out x^n.

erisedk said:
I tried for n=2, I got 2. However, looking at it, I don't see any pattern that might be of much use for figuring out x^n.

Try it for the other ones and compare with the coefficient of x^n in (e^x)^2.

erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Think of putting two copies of your polynomial side-by-side; these are the two factors in the squared expression. The coefficient of x^k in the product consists of a sum of coefficient products: 1= 1/0! from factor 1 and 1/k! from factor 2, or 1/1! from factor 1 and 1/(k-1)! from factor 2, or 1/2! from factor 1 and 1/(k-2)! from factor 2, or ... or 1/k! from factor 1 and 1/0! from factor 2. You want the sum of all the two-by-two products of these numbers.

If we write the squaring multiplication with one of the terms reversed, it's may make it easier to see the components of the x^n coefficient in the answer.

##
\begin{matrix}
( & 1 & + &x/1! & + &x^2/2! & + & \dots & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + &x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^n/n! & ) & \times \\
( & x^n/n! & + & x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + & \dots & + & x^2/2! & + & x/1! & + & 1 & ) &
\end{matrix}
##

Joffan said:
If we write the squaring multiplication with one of the terms reversed, it's may make it easier to see the components of the x^n coefficient in the answer.

##
\begin{matrix}
( & 1 & + &x/1! & + &x^2/2! & + & \dots & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + &x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^n/n! & ) & \times \\
( & x^n/n! & + & x^{n-1}/(n-1)! & + & x^{n-2}/(n-2)! & + & \dots & + & x^2/2! & + & x/1! & + & 1 & ) &
\end{matrix}
##

Sure, you can write down the series. But it's also not terribly hard just to write down the number that it must sum to.

Ray Vickson said:
Think of putting two copies of your polynomial side-by-side; these are the two factors in the squared expression. The coefficient of x^k in the product consists of a sum of coefficient products: 1= 1/0! from factor 1 and 1/k! from factor 2, or 1/1! from factor 1 and 1/(k-1)! from factor 2, or 1/2! from factor 1 and 1/(k-2)! from factor 2, or ... or 1/k! from factor 1 and 1/0! from factor 2. You want the sum of all the two-by-two products of these numbers.

So I want to sum the following-
( 1/0! * 1/n! ) + ( 1/1! * 1/(n-1)! ) + ... + ( 1/n! * 1/0! )
How do I sum that up to get the answer 2^n/n! ?

erisedk said:

What powers of x are in the difference between your product and the power series expansion of e^(2x)?

erisedk said:

Does 1/(k!(n-k)!) look familiar to you at all? How about n!/(k!(n-k)!) ?

Likes erisedk
Joffan said:
Does 1/(k!(n-k)!) look familiar to you at all? How about n!/(k!(n-k)!) ?
Yes of course. So I multiply and divide by n!, and I get ( C0+C1+...Cn )/n! Which is just 2^n/n!

Thank you everyone :D

erisedk said:
Yes of course. So I multiply and divide by n!, and I get ( C0+C1+...Cn )/n! Which is just 2^n/n!

Thank you everyone :D

Yes, but you didn't even have to sum the series. Your product is identical to the power series for e^(2x) up to order n. The nth term of that is 2^n/n!.

Dick said:
Yes, but you didn't even have to sum the series. Your product is identical to the power series for e^(2x) up to order n. The nth term of that is 2^n/n!.

That's pretty neat. I haven't formally learned power series and stuff, so I didn't know that.

Dick said:

I just googled operations on power series, and that's definitely a much better way of doing this problem.

Related to Binomial Expansion Coefficient of x^n

1. What is the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n?

The binomial expansion coefficient of x^n is the numerical value that appears in front of the variable x^n in a binomial expansion. It represents the number of ways to choose n items from a set of two options, and is often written as nCn.

2. How is the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n calculated?

The binomial expansion coefficient of x^n is calculated using the formula nCn = n! / (n!(n-n)!), where n! represents the factorial of n.

3. Can the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n be negative?

No, the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n cannot be negative. It represents the number of ways to choose items, which is always a positive value.

4. What is the significance of the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n in mathematics?

The binomial expansion coefficient of x^n is an important concept in combinatorics and probability. It is used to calculate the probabilities of events and to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.

5. How does the binomial expansion coefficient of x^n relate to Pascal's Triangle?

The binomial expansion coefficient of x^n can be found in Pascal's Triangle by locating the nth row and the nth entry in that row. It is also known as the nth diagonal of Pascal's Triangle and is often referred to as the "binomial coefficients."