What is the inductance of a length l of a coaxial cable?

In summary, the inductance of a length l of a coaxial cable can be calculated by taking a thin rectangular slice between the inner wire and outer shell and considering it as a long loop in a solenoid of length l. The inductance is then given by L=ϕ/I. However, since the individual loops in the solenoid are in series, while the rectangular slices in the cable may be in series or parallel, it is unclear whether the inductance should be calculated as L=(2∏b)ϕ/I or if there should be a term equivalent to N in the solenoid inductance equation.
user3
A coaxial cable is modeled as a long thin cylindrical shell with radius b concentric with a solid wire of radius a (the wire is inside the shell). Calculate the inductance of a length l of this cable.

(Example 32.5 Here) ---> https://echsphysics.wikispaces.com/file/view/APPhysicsCH32.pdf

the solution in my textbook is as follows: take a thin rectangular slice between the inner wire and the outer shell. If we assume that the outer shell and the inner wire are connected at the two ends of the cable, that rectangular slice can be imagined as a very long loop (with length l) in an solenoid. We get the flux through this long rectangular slice, then the inductance is just L=ϕ/I

My question is: By definition, the inductance of a solenoid is L=Nϕ/I where is the number of loops. Now if we considered the rectangular slice to be a loop among many that form the coaxial cable, shouldn't the inductance be L=(2∏b)ϕ/I or something? shouldn't there be term equivalent to the N in the solenoid inductance equation because the magnetic field is passing through many of these long rectangular slices?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the solenoid, the individual loops are in series. So, the emf's of the loops add together.

In the cable, if you choose two different rectangular slices you will get an emf for each slice. But are these slices in series or parallel?

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the inductance of a length l of a coaxial cable?

1. What is coaxial cable inductance?

Coaxial cable inductance refers to the ability of a coaxial cable to store energy in a magnetic field when a current is flowing through it. It is measured in units of henries (H) and is influenced by the physical characteristics of the cable such as its length, diameter, and number of turns.

2. How does inductance affect the performance of coaxial cables?

Inductance can have both positive and negative effects on the performance of coaxial cables. On one hand, it can reduce signal loss and improve the cable's ability to transmit high-frequency signals. On the other hand, it can cause interference and signal distortion if the inductance is too high.

3. What factors affect the inductance of coaxial cables?

The inductance of a coaxial cable is influenced by several factors, including the cable's length, diameter, and material composition. It is also affected by the proximity of other conductors and the frequency of the signals being transmitted through the cable.

4. How can inductance be measured in coaxial cables?

Inductance in coaxial cables can be measured using a special instrument called an inductance meter. This device sends an electrical signal through the cable and measures the resulting voltage and current to calculate the inductance. The measured inductance can then be compared to the cable's specifications to ensure proper performance.

5. Can inductance in coaxial cables be reduced?

Yes, inductance in coaxial cables can be reduced by using specific techniques such as using shorter cable lengths, increasing the diameter of the cable, and using materials with lower permeability. Additionally, using proper shielding and grounding techniques can also help reduce unwanted inductance in coaxial cables.