What is the domain of f(g(x)) given f(x)= radical 25-x^2 and g(x)= ln(x+3)?

I'm not sure about my new g(x) domain, 0, infinityIn summary, the domain of f(g(x)) is (-3, infinity) and the domain of g(x) is (0, infinity).
Psichlohomeo
1. Find the domain of f(g(x)) where f(x)= radical 25-x^2 and g(x)= ln(x+3)

2. For the domain of f I got x < or equal to +/- 5 and for the domain of ln(x+3) I got x+3 > 0

3. (0, 145)

Thanks for your time. :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Psichlohomeo said:
1. Find the domain of f(g(x)) where f(x)= radical 25-x^2 and g(x)= ln(x+3)

2. For the domain of f I got x < or equal to +/- 5 and for the domain of ln(x+3) I got x+3 > 0

Ol. I suppose you mean -5 <= x <= 5 for the domain of f.

3. (0, 145)

No.. The first number is wrong. the second number is nearly right, but since this is math and not physics: If you get e^5 in an anwer, just leave it.

Ah. So, [e^-5, 0)(0, e^5]?

Last edited:
Also, how can I find the domain of f o g when f(x) = log(x-1) and g(x)=x/16-x^2?

For the domain of f(x), I put x>2 (??) and g(x) cannot equal +/- 4. I got this strange answer: (-1+rad65/-2 , -4) (-4, -1-rad65/-2)(-1-rad65/-2 , 4)

Thank again. :)

log(x) is defined for x>0. The domain of log(x-1) would be where x-1>0
You got the domain of g(x) right.

[tex]f\circ g(x) = f(g(x)) = \log\left(\frac{x}{16-x^2}\right)[/tex]

Putting the domains together, what will be the domain of the composition? Where will the x values be that make it defined?

Psichlohomeo said:
Ah. So, [e^-5, 0)(0, e^5]?

there's no problem at 0. and you forgot about the x+3.

Alright, for my first problem I've reworked it to (-3, infinity)

Related to What is the domain of f(g(x)) given f(x)= radical 25-x^2 and g(x)= ln(x+3)?

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions. This is done by taking the output of one function and using it as the input for another function. The resulting function is called the composite function.

2. How do you find the domain of a composite function?

To find the domain of a composite function, you need to first determine the domain of each individual function in the composite. Then, you need to consider the restrictions on the input values that result from combining these functions. The domain of the composite function will be the set of all input values that satisfy these restrictions.

3. What is the difference between the domain of a composite function and the domain of an individual function?

The domain of an individual function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In contrast, the domain of a composite function is the set of all input values that satisfy the restrictions resulting from combining multiple functions. This means that the domain of a composite function may be smaller than the domain of an individual function.

4. Can the domain of a composite function be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the domain of a composite function to be empty. This can happen when the restrictions resulting from combining the individual functions result in no valid input values. It is important to pay attention to the restrictions when finding the domain of a composite function to avoid an empty domain.

5. How can the domain of a composite function be used in real-world applications?

The domain of a composite function can be used to determine the range of possible outputs for a given set of input values. This can be helpful in real-world applications, such as in economics or engineering, where understanding the relationship between different variables is important. Additionally, the domain of a composite function can help identify any potential limitations or restrictions on the inputs that may affect the overall function.