What is the 2nd Fundamental Form and how does it relate to geometry in 3-space?

• Thread starter Reality_Patrol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: The "distance between two points" is a concept that comes from Euclidean geometry. The second fundamental form is a length that is dimensionally equivalent but not geometrically.
Reality_Patrol
Can anyone provide an intuitive explanation for what the 2nd fundamental form is (maybe in 3-space geometry)? How does it relate to the 1st fundamental form??

Perhaps surprisingly I've read over (& understood fairly well) an advanced explanation, but it doesn't provide the kind of intuitive understanding I'm seeking. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
there are only two concepts in differential geometry, length and curvature, so probably the first fundamental form is length and the second is curvature?

Uhh, not exactly...the "advanced" explanation of the 2nd fundamental form I found described it as an "intrinsic" metric for determining the infinitesimal distance to a parallel surface (embedded in a n+1) space. So, I guess you could say that it's a "extrinsic length" but I don't get what it is within the n-space itself (i.e. intrinsically). I'm sure it has an geometrical interpretation within it's own n-space. I would like to find that alternative interpretation and understand it in familiar 3-space.

Maybe you are referring to the "extrinsic curvature", which can be interpreted in terms of the lie derivative of the hypersurface metric along the unit normal.

well i just googled second fundamental form, and i was right, the first fundamental form is the dot product of two vectors, hence equivalent to the length or metric,

and the second fundamental form is an operator on two vectors, dotting the second one with, as robphy says, the extrinsic curvature of the first vector, i.e. the derivative of the normal vector to the surface in the direction of the given vector.

I still like my "zen" approach to answering your question. what else could it be?: there are no other concepts in the subject. actually that is not right, there are as many concepts as there are derivatives. so is suppose the "third" fundamental form is the torsion.

i'll go look it up and see.

i seem to have given the namers too much credit, the third form is just a product of two second forms.

Last edited:
Mathwonk,

Thanks for the reply, it certainly was a help. Still see some comments below:

mathwonk said:
well i just googled second fundamental form, and i was right, the first fundamental form is the dot product of two vectors, hence equivalent to the length or metric,
Equivalent dimensionally (in terms of units) but not geormetrically.
mathwonk said:
and the second fundamental form is an operator on two vectors, dotting the second one with, as robphy says, the extrinsic curvature of the first vector, i.e. the derivative of the normal vector to the surface in the direction of the given vector.
Ahh, but what are these initial two vectors that so uniquely define the second fundamental form? Your definition suggests any 2 vectors, that's not the case. Also, I'm trying to understand it in terms of intrinsic geometry - your description involves extrinsic concepts. Maybe there is no purely intrinsic view.
mathwonk said:
I still like my "zen" approach to answering your question. what else could it be?: there are no other concepts in the subject...
OK, I'll go along with your zen approach. So it's a length? What does that really mean geometrically since it's certainly not the "distance between two points" (as the first fundamental form gives that)??

Related to What is the 2nd Fundamental Form and how does it relate to geometry in 3-space?

What is the 2nd Fundamental Form?

The 2nd Fundamental Form is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to study the curvature of a surface. It is a tensor that describes how the surface curves in different directions.

What is the difference between the 1st and 2nd Fundamental Form?

The 1st Fundamental Form, also known as the metric tensor, describes the intrinsic geometry of a surface, while the 2nd Fundamental Form describes the extrinsic curvature of a surface in relation to its embedding in a higher dimensional space.

How is the 2nd Fundamental Form calculated?

The 2nd Fundamental Form is calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface's normal vector. Specifically, it is the dot product of the normal vector and the Hessian matrix, which contains the second-order partial derivatives of the surface's position function.

What is the significance of the 2nd Fundamental Form?

The 2nd Fundamental Form is significant because it allows us to quantify the amount and direction of curvature of a surface. It is used in many applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering, to understand and solve problems involving curved surfaces.

What are some real-world examples of the 2nd Fundamental Form?

The 2nd Fundamental Form has many real-world applications, such as calculating the stress and strain on curved surfaces in engineering, understanding the shape of soap bubbles, and modeling the shape of biological membranes.