What Are the Radii and Intervals of Convergence for These Series?

In summary, the radius of convergence for all four series is 1 and the interval of convergence is (-1,1). However, the series in part (e) converges for all values of x, while the series in part (f) only converges for x = 0.
KarmaSquared
Radius of convergence, interval of convergence

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence of the following series.

a) [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{(n^2)+1}[/tex]

c) [tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{x^n}{ln(n)}[/tex]

e) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n!x^n}{n^2}[/tex]

f) [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n!2^nx^n}{n^n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think I use the Ratio test:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = L < 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{x^n}{(n^2)+1}[/tex]
So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x^(n+1)}{((n+1)^2)+1} * \frac{n^2+1}{x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x*n^2+1}{n^2+2n+2} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]
Radius: 1, Interval of convergence (-1, 1)

c) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{x^n}{ln(n)}[/tex]
So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x^(n+1)}{ln(n+1)} * \frac{ln(n)}{x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x*ln(n)}{ln(n+1)} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

e) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{n!x^n}{n^2}[/tex]
So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+1)!x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^2} * \frac{n^2}{n!x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

f) Let [tex]{a_n} = \frac{n!2^nx^n}{n^n}[/tex]
So:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n+1!2^(n+1)x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^(n+1)} * \frac{n^n}{n!2^nx^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} 2x * (\frac{n}{n+1})^n = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} 2x[/tex]
Radius: 1/2, Interval of convergence (-0.5, 0.5)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The radii for three of these seem alright; you may wish to check your ratio in part (e). A number of these series converge for at least one of the endpoints of their intervals of convergence.

dynamicsolo said:
The radii for three of these seem alright; you may wish to check your ratio in part (e). A number of these series converge for at least one of the endpoints of their intervals of convergence.

I thought it seemed weird that three of the radii were 1, thanks for checking them over :)

May I inquire which part of (e) you think I might have stumbled? Is it from:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+1)!x^(n+1)}{(n+1)^2} * \frac{n^2}{n!x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

Will check the endpoints in a bit, thanks again.

KarmaSquared said:
I thought it seemed weird that three of the radii were 1, thanks for checking them over :)

May I inquire which part of (e) you think I might have stumbled? Is it from:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{(n+1)!x^{n+1}}{(n+1)^2} * \frac{n^2}{n!x^n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1}[/tex]

or

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n^2x}{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x[/tex]

Will check the endpoints in a bit, thanks again.

Just a note on LaTex: if you want exponents to show up you need to enclose them in curly brackets; i.e. x^{n+1}.

Oh thanks. I'm still working my way around with LaTeX.

This is not an equation:

The left-hand side is correct. I believe you should find the radius of convergence for this series to be R = 0. (In fact, the original general term for this series should make one suspicious...)

Related to What Are the Radii and Intervals of Convergence for These Series?

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that determines the interval on which a power series will converge. It is represented by the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series does not converge.

2. How do you calculate the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge, and the radius of convergence can be found by taking the reciprocal of this limit.

3. Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the interval of values for which a power series will converge. This allows us to determine the range of values for which the series is valid and can be used for approximations in mathematical calculations.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must be a positive value. It represents the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series does not converge, and a negative value would not make sense in this context.

5. How does the radius of convergence relate to the convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence is directly related to the convergence of a power series. If the radius of convergence is greater than 0, the series will converge within that interval. If the radius of convergence is 0, the series will only converge at the center point. And if the radius of convergence is infinite, the series will converge for all values.