Finding limit of the Fibonacci sequence

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations
Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##
For this problem,
1693109161637.png

My working is

##\{\frac{a_{n + 2}}{a_{n+1}}\} = \{1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}}\}## using part (b)
Then

##\lim_{n \to \infty} b_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})## which should equal ##L##.

However, does someone please know why it does this cause the sequence to converge to ##L##. The solution does not explain anything (just simply states the definition):
1693127774509.png

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit, n, in
##
\def\brack{\overwithdelims[]}

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{n+2}} \brack \log {a_{n+1}}}
##
is a dummy index. We can replace ##n+1## with ##m## and so also ##n+2 = m+1##. Then it becomes
##

\lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{m+1}} \brack \log {a_{m}}}
##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations: Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##

For this problem,
View attachment 331096
My working is

Then

##\lim_{n \to \infty} b_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})## which should equal ##L##.

However, does someone please know why it does this cause the sequence to converge to ##L##. The solution does not explain anything (just simply states the definition):
View attachment 331100

Many thanks!
I am not sure what you are asking, partly because the question is bizarre.
Part c, as @FactChecker notes, is a somewhat trivial and general result unconnected with parts a and b.
I would have written the question as "using the trivial fact that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_{n+2}}) = \lim_{n \to \infty} ( \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})##, show that ##L=1+1/L##". Or is that part d?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
The limit, n, in
##

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{n+2}} \brack \log {a_{n+1}}}
##
is a dummy index. We can replace ##n+1## with ##m## and so also ##n+2 = m+1##. Then it becomes
##

\lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{m+1}} \brack \log {a_{m}}}
##
haruspex said:
I am not sure what you are asking, partly because the question is bizarre.
Part c, as @FactChecker notes, is a somewhat trivial and general result unconnected with parts a and b.
I would have written the question as "using the trivial fact that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_{n+2}}) = \lim_{n \to \infty} ( \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})##, show that ##L=1+1/L##". Or is that part d?
Thank you for your replies @FactChecker and @haruspex !

Yeah I am still confused by this problem. I might have a chat to the professor who made since he might have idea what the tutorial question was trying to ask. Part d is:
1693202663634.png

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

Yeah I am still confused by this problem. I might have a chat to the professor who made since he might have idea what the tutorial question was trying to ask. Part d is:
View attachment 331120

Many thanks!
I would say my proposed version of part c is the logical step towards part d.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I would say my proposed version of part c is the logical step towards part d.
Thank you for your help @haruspex! I think you are right.

You may also use the fact that if the sequence converges to L, all values for n large-enough will be as close to L as you wish.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations: Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##

For this problem,
View attachment 331096
My working is

Then

View attachment 331100

Many thanks!
c) Is just saying that if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n+1} = L##.
This is a true statement, and in fact true for every fixed-length shift (positive & negative).
The proof idea / sketch would be notice that if for ##n > N## we have ##|a_n - L| < \delta##, then for ##n > N## we must trivially have ##|a_{n+1} - L| < \delta##, as ##n+1>N##.

There's no need for fancy arguments.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and e_jane
ChiralSuperfields said:

View attachment 331120

Many thanks!
Suppose we have proved convergence of the limit ##\lim_{n\to \infty} {a_{n+1} \over a_n}## (I'm not sure if that was proven beforehand? and I'm also too lazy to do a proof of convergence if I don't know if it has).
Even if you don't know what this limit is, but call it ##L## for now.
You can rewrite the recurrence relation as ##{a_{n+2} \over a_{n+1}} = 1 + {a_n \over a_{n+1}}##.
We can apply the limit on both sides, notice by c) the limit of LHS is just ##L##
The probably known laws of limits (though mention me if you don't know) tell you:
##\lim_{n \to \infty} 1 + {a_n \over a_{n+1}} = 1 + 1 /\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} {a_{n+1} \over a_n}\right) = 1+ {1 \over L}##
Finally you arrive at ##L = 1 + {1 \over L}##, and so ##L^2 - L - 1 = 0##.
Solving this leads to two solutions, those being:
##L \in \left\{ {1-\sqrt{5} \over 2}, {1 + \sqrt{5} \over 2}\right\}##
The one with the ##-## is negative, but the terms of the fibonacci sequence are always positive (can you prove / convince yourself why?) so the limit must be ##{1 + \sqrt{5} \over 2}##, ending the exercise.
I think this highlights the ideas of a proof, again if you have any question feel free to mention me.

• Informative
Likes ChiralSuperfields and e_jane