What are the advantages of using Linux over Windows for PC desktop users?

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation revolved around the favorite computer operating systems among Mathematics, Physics, and Engineering enthusiasts, with various individuals sharing their preferences and reasons for using certain operating systems. The conversation also touched on the number of different Linux distributions available and the debate between open source and closed source software. Some individuals also mentioned the ease of use and versatility of certain operating systems, while others mentioned the importance of using an operating system that fits their needs and gets the job done efficiently.
NoTime said:
:smile: Put your favorite UNIX(LINUX) core on a 4.5mhz x86 processor with 64k of memory and tell me which one is that :smile:

Every tool has its place.
Just because you have a hammer doesn't mean that everything is a nail :smile:

Do you enjoy saying silly things that make absolutely no sense?

You might care to visit Wikipedia or Google for "UNIX history" before you make such blatantly incorrect statements and inferrences. It seems everything you've said in this thread is nonsense.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
NoTime said:
:smile: Put your favorite UNIX(LINUX) core on a 4.5mhz x86 processor with 64k of memory and tell me which one is that :smile:
:smile:

Whats a Unix or Linux core? These are new terms for me.

graphic7 said:
Do you enjoy saying silly things that make absolutely no sense?
So what am I saying that doesn't make sense to you?

graphic7 said:
You might care to visit Wikipedia or Google for "UNIX history" before you make such blatantly incorrect statements and inferrences. It seems everything you've said in this thread is nonsense.
I was writing software long before UNIX in any form existed.
Or for that matter the time sharing systems from where the idea for UNIX originated.
Just what is it that you think is so wrong?

ranger said:
Whats a Unix or Linux core? These are new terms for me.

In this case core = OS.

Anything that meets my requirements. Anything from WinBlows to Linux :)

I am a happy full time Linux user since 2000. I have tried several Linux flavors until 2004 when I found Gentoo Linux, which is my OS at home and work. I also use it in a small cluster.

I have a tendency to remain foolishly loyal to companies (I nearly followed Nintendo into the GameCube era, until I had the sense to try something better). In the spirit of learning from my mistakes, I've decided to branch off of Windows and, after partitioning my drive, try Linux for a bit.

I've noticed that many Linux users seem very proud, if not pompous (kidding!) about their choice of OS. However, most of these users know much more about computers than I do, so I tend to treat their comments with some dignity...

What is it, precisely, about Linux that makes it "so much better"? I understand that Linux is open source - which I'm a huge fan of...but let's face it, I won't be customizing much of anything, and I'm not running a server. Are there any PC desktop user benefits to using Linux over Windows? Which distro would you recommend? Does a particular download come with a GUI installed, or do I choose one after downloading, or can I have more than one on my machine?

SynapticSelf said:
I have a tendency to remain foolishly loyal to companies (I nearly followed Nintendo into the GameCube era, until I had the sense to try something better). In the spirit of learning from my mistakes, I've decided to branch off of Windows and, after partitioning my drive, try Linux for a bit.
Be loyal to some company might be a bad idea. Some friends who used to program in Fortran got very upset when HP bought Compac and stopped to produce its Fortran Compac, the best Fortran (in their opinion).

SynapticSelf said:
I've noticed that many Linux users seem very proud, if not pompous (kidding!) about their choice of OS. However, most of these users know much more about computers than I do, so I tend to treat their comments with some dignity...
Learning is an amazing process. All time we are learning, and certainly your friends started from point where you are. Linux knowledge is spread out through several internet pages, forums and communities where you may found answers to your problems with Linux.

SynapticSelf said:
What is it, precisely, about Linux that makes it "so much better"?
Stability, performance, safety, compatibility with several kind of CPU's (from mainframes to palmtops). For me the most important are stability and performance. I can run simulations for months without worry about Blue Screen of Death :approve: Another important point is that I run Linux since 2000 and I did NOT get any virus or trojans until now.

SynapticSelf said:
I understand that Linux is open source - which I'm a huge fan of...but let's face it, I won't be customizing much of anything, and I'm not running a server. Are there any PC desktop user benefits to using Linux over Windows? Which distro would you recommend? Does a particular download come with a GUI installed, or do I choose one after downloading, or can I have more than one on my machine?
If you don't want customize things you may be fine using pre-compiled Linux flavors like Fedora, Mandriva or ArchLinux. Is up to you! Read something about them at http://www.linux.org" or at any webpage you may found. After installing and using it for while you can realize if it has some benefit for you. Usually such distros comes with several GUI's that you can choose.
If you need some help to find equivalent softwares to Linux just ask in appropriated thread and I and other Linux users may help you.

Cheers, Luís

Last edited by a moderator: