Wave Function - Normalisation & Calculation of Expectation Values

To calculate the expectation values given a wave function \psi(x) = (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{4}}exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{4\sigma})We can use the following equations:|<\hat{p}>| = \sqrt{\frac{\sigma}{2}}|<\hat{p^{2}}>| = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{2}{\sigma}}|<\hat{x}>| = \sqrt{\frac{\sigma}{2}}|<\hat{x^{2}}>| = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{2}{\sigma}}In summary, when confirming the
Hart

Homework Statement

i. Confirming the wavefunction is normalised

ii. Calculating the expectation values: [tex]<\hat{x}> , <\hat{x^{2}}> , <\hat{p}> , <\hat{p^{2}}>[/tex] as a function of [tex]\sigma[/tex]

iii. Interpreting the results in regards to Heisenberg's uncertainty relation.

Homework Equations

wave function [tex]\psi(x) = (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{4}}exp[\frac{-x^{2}}{4\sigma}][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i. I know that a wave function [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] is normalised if:

[tex]|\psi(x)|^{2} = 1[/tex]

So I have tried to modulus [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] and then square it, but this doesn't equal to 1. Or at least I'm just doing it wrong.. I'm thinking maybe have to take the real part of the exponential term in the equation.. or something like that, but I don't know.

ii. I'm not sure how to calculate these for this wave function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hart said:
i. I know that a wave function [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] is normalised if:

[tex]|\psi(x)|^{2} = 1[/tex]

No, the wavefunction is normalized if [itex]\langle\psi|\psi\rangle=1[/itex]. You can expand this in the position basis by using the identity,

[tex]\hat{1}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|x\rangle\langle x|dx[/tex]

(Where [tex]\hat{1}[/itex] is the identity operator) Using this, along with the fact that [tex]\hat{1}|\psi\rangle=|\psi\rangle[/itex], you have

[tex]1=\langle\psi|\hat{1}|\psi\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\langle\psi|x\rangle\langle x|\psi\rangle dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi(x)|^2dx[/tex]

This derivation is done in every introductory QM text I can recall, so the fact that you don't know it by heart yet suggests you need to study your text and notes.

I actually just missed off the indefinate integral from what I posted by mistake.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to show, but I just can't figure out what steps to take at the moment!

Last edited:
Hart said:
I actually just missed off the indefinate integral from what I posted by mistake.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to show, but I just can't figure out what steps to take at the moment!

Okay, so did you try evaluating the integral? If so, what did you get?

I think I've figured it out now..

[tex]|\psi(x)| = (2\pi\|\sigma|)^{-\frac{1}{4}}exp^{(-\frac{1}{4})Re(\frac{-x^{2}}{\sigma})} = (2\pi\sigma)^{-\frac{1}{4}}exp^{(-\frac{1}{4})(\frac{-x^{2}}{\sigma})}[/tex]

Then can square this:

[tex]((2\pi\sigma)^{-(\frac{1}{4})})^{2} = (2\pi\sigma)^{-(\frac{1}{2})}[/tex]

Also:

[tex](exp^{(-\frac{1}{4})(\frac{-x^{2}}{\sigma})})^{2} = exp^{(\frac{x^{2}}{4\sigma})}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\integral exp^{(\frac{x^{2}}{4\sigma})} = \sqrt{2\sigma\pi}[/tex]

And:

[tex](2\pi\sigma)^{(\frac{-1}{2})} = \frac{1}{\sqrt(2\pi\sigma)}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\integral |\psi(x)|^{2} = \frac{(\sqrt{2\sigma\pi})}{(\sqrt{2\sigma\pi})} = 1[/tex]

How's that?

Hart said:
[tex](exp^{(-\frac{1}{4})(\frac{-x^{2}}{\sigma})})^{2} = exp^{(\frac{x^{2}}{4\sigma})}[/tex]

No,

[tex]\left(e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma}\right)^2=e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\integral exp^{(\frac{x^{2}}{4\sigma})} = \sqrt{2\sigma\pi}[/tex]

This makes absolutely no sense. On the RHS of this equation you have a function with a numerical value that depends on the value of [itex]x[/itex]. On the LHS you have a constant. How can these two quantities possibly be equal to each other for all [itex]x[/itex]?

[tex]\left(e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma}\right)^2=e^{-\frac{2x^2}{4\sigma}} = e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma}[/tex]

My lecturer gave the hint:

[tex]\integral exp(-ax^{2}) = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

Hence from this I took [tex]a = \frac{1}{2\sigma}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\integral exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) = \sqrt{2\pi\sigma}[/tex]

Hart said:
[tex]\left(e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma}\right)^2=e^{-\frac{2x^2}{4\sigma}} = e^{-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma}[/tex]

My lecturer gave the hint:

[tex]\integral exp(-ax^{2}) = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

Do you mean

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2}dx= \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

?

Try using \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} instead of \integral so it doesn't look like you are claiming [tex]e^{-ax^2}= \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex].

Hence from this I took [tex]a = \frac{1}{2\sigma}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) dx= \sqrt{2\pi\sigma}[/tex]

If this fixed post is what you meant, then yes, that's correct.

Yes that is what I meant! =D

Just got to find the expectation values now.. I'll give that a go..

[tex]

<\hat{x}> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^{*}x\psi dx

[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\psi^{*}\psi= ((2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{4}})^{2}(exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{4\sigma}))^{2} =(2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}}exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})[/tex]

[tex]x\psi^{*}\psi= x(2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}}exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})[/tex]

[tex] \int x \psi^{*}\psi= \int x(2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}}exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) = (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} \int x exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) [/tex]

[tex](2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} \int x exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})

= (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} [\frac{-2x^{3}}{2\sigma} exp^{(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})} - \frac{-2x^{2}}{2\sigma} exp^{(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})}]

= (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} (x)

= <\hat{x}>

[/tex]

.. hopefully this is correct.. or at least along the right lines?

Last edited:
Hart said:
[tex] \int x \psi^{*}\psi= \int x(2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}}exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) = (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} \int x exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}) [/tex]

If you are integrating with respect to [itex]x[/itex], then shouldn't there be some [itex]dx[/itex]'s in these integrals? And you are also neglecting to put the limits of integration in.

This may seem nitpicky, but what good is performing a calculation if you can't communicate it clearly to other physicists? You could (theoretically) come up with some brilliant unified field theory that revolutionizes physics and fail to get it published, simply because the reviewers don't look past the basic errors in notation. For this reason, you will likely find that your professors will deduct marks for these somewhat inconsequential errors when they are present on your assignments. You should get in the habit of proofreading everything you write/ type before submitting it, whether it is to your professor, a scientific journal, or even just an internet forum.

[tex](2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} \int x exp(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})

= (2\pi\sigma)^{\frac{-1}{2}} [\frac{-2x^{3}}{2\sigma} exp^{(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})} - \frac{-2x^{2}}{2\sigma} exp^{(\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma})}]
[/tex]

There are numerous calculation errors here. When calculating an integral, it is always a good idea to differentiate the result (before substituting limits) to make sure you get the original integrand back. If you don't, then you've done something wrong.

So, do you get [itex]xe^{-x^2/2\sigma}[/itex] back when you differentiate [tex] \frac{-2x^{3}}{2\sigma} e^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}} - \frac{-2x^{2}}{2\sigma} e^{\frac{-x^{2}}{2\sigma}}[/itex]?

No..

[tex] \left< x \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x\left(2\pi\sigma\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{-\left(\frac{x^{2}}{2\sigma}\right) }dx[/tex]

So:

[tex] \left< x \right> = 0 [/tex]

Hart said:
No..

[tex] \left< x \right> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x\left(2\pi\sigma\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{-\left(\frac{x^{2}}{2\sigma}\right) }dx[/tex]

So:

[tex] \left< x \right> = 0 [/tex]

That's much better!:approve:

Now, how about the rest of the expectation values?

Good! Yeah, basically I looked at my notes again and realized I was going about them completely the wrong way! Will get on with having a go at the other expectation values..

Related to Wave Function - Normalisation & Calculation of Expectation Values

1. What is the wave function and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

The wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It is important in quantum mechanics because it is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular position or state, and it can also be used to determine the expectation value of a physical observable.

2. What does it mean for a wave function to be normalised?

A normalised wave function is one in which the total probability of finding a particle somewhere in space is equal to 1. This means that the particle has a 100% chance of being somewhere in the system, and there is no possibility of it being in any other region. Normalisation is important because it ensures that the laws of probability are obeyed in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the normalisation condition used to determine the unknown constant in a wave function?

The normalisation condition states that the integral of the square of the wave function over all space must equal 1. By setting this equal to the unknown constant, we can solve for the value of the constant and thus determine the complete wave function.

4. What is the expectation value of a physical observable in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of a physical observable is the average value that would be obtained if the measurement of that observable was repeated many times on a large number of identical systems. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the operator corresponding to the observable over all space.

5. How is the expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. The expectation value of the position and momentum operators can be used to calculate the standard deviation of these values, which represents the uncertainty in the measurements. Therefore, the expectation value is related to the uncertainty principle in that it gives us information about the range of possible values for a physical observable.