Was My Gym Teacher Out of Line?

In summary, a student shares an incident where her gym teacher insulted her and made her cry in front of the class. The student explains that she didn't dress out for gym because her gymsuit was dirty, but the teacher singled her out while others do the same thing regularly. The teacher also called the student out for wanting to use the bathroom during a fitness day activity. The student expresses anger and hate towards the teacher, who she believes has a condescending attitude towards her and her gifted classmate. Other forum members comment on the situation, with some stating that the student's 'hate vibes' and attitude may have contributed to the conflict. The student and others question whether the teacher's behavior is justified and some suggest involving parents
pineapples
Today my gym teacher insulted me in front of everyone and made me cry.
I didn't dress out for gym because my gymsuit was freaking nasty dirty. Thats not a big deal, it's a once a month thing, but he SINGALED me out of the whole class for it when two other ppl do this every day. Anyway, we were doing this fitness day thing. stuuuuuupid. So Then, I started walking to the locker room. He said, "Maggie where are you going?" and I said "The bathroom" and he said "Finsih this first". So I finished the stupid station I was at. Then I went. I got back out, and he's mad at me! "I said FINSIH this first!" and I was like, "I did!" and he said, "I meant the whole ting course!" HOW was I supposed to know?? That doesn't even make sense! But that REALLY set him off. Ooooh, I'm soooo bad. So he took me into the office and said I had an "attitude problem". He never even warned me! Then he asked my phone number and started calling my house! For this one little thing! I was SO mad, I sent out hate vibes as strong as possible and stared him in the eye the whooole time. he started yelling that "I get this all the time from you 8th grade, G/T (gifted/talented) students! You have this condescending, rude, 'I don't want to be here, I'm above you all' kind of attitude" Uhm, hello! He just described himself! He thinks he's the supreme ruler of EVERY little thing. WHERE is he getting this from?? Two other people have these attitudes every day and not once has he picked on them or yelled at them! He gave a whole long speech and let's just say it would insult ANY one and it was very rude! Eventually I got tired of staring at his ugly, hairy, wrinkly, distorted face and all my hate/anger vibes had run out and i couldn't hold it in so I started crying. plus people were making faces at me in the window. i haaaate himm!

Now here's the thing: do you think he was out of line? Did he have a right to go off on me just for that? And two other people who always do much worse than me, and who happen to NOT be in G/T and who happen to be popular, he has never disciplined? On a side note, he does this to my friend Sarah too. We have the same personality and she's in G/T (gifted and talented classes), too. He insults her and critcizes her and kind of mocks her in front of the class. Maybe its in his personality, but...he's made her cry, too! In front of everyone!
OK, rant over. Do you think this is OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
If you feel threatened by the faculty get your parents involved and order a sit down. It's possible that he might have some psychological issues towards females?

Your first post is this?

Most teachers are messed up. It's no wonder teachers don't have the respect they used to have.

Eventually I got tired of staring at his ugly, hairy, wrinkly, distorted face and all my hate/anger vibes had run out

Well, even though you're pissed off, it does sound like you're a little condescending and rude. If you get into a power struggle with a teacher, they will almost always win. Sometimes the teacher starts the power struggle, but it always takes two to escalate it. Get over it, and find something more worthy of your 'hate vibes.' Better yet, get over it, and stop sending so many 'hate vibes,' period. This whole incident is really pathetically unimportant, and is not worthy of your (or my) concern.

- Warren

Yeah, just leave it alone and ignore him, unless it continues and becomes a bigger issue. But for now, it doesn't seem to serious.

JasonRox said:
...Most teachers are messed up...

Jason, that statement is not only unqualified, it is also wrong to make such a statement to a student.

I think sending "hate vibes" at a person would, indeed, consitute an attitude problem.

I think she just mean she was angry

pallidin said:
Jason, that statement is not only unqualified, it is also wrong to make such a statement to a student.

Why so?The message I have entered is too short. Please lengthen my message to 10 characters.

yomamma said:
I think she just mean she was angry

I think it meant she didn't even try to conceal her anger.

Why would she try to?

You're a spoiled little brat which means you are an average 8th grade kid. Just realize that in 5 or so years you'll realize what a little moron you were and you'll move on with your life. At least we hope so.

Nice first post. I can think of no better way to introduce yourself to a forum of strangers than an emo outburst. I want those 2 minutes of my life back that I used to read it.

Jason, I think I have to agree with Pallidin. Blanket statements like that to someone, who is obviously trolling for comments like that, are not productive and help no one.

Last edited:
1) I'm assuming that that was directed towards pineapples...?
2) if so... That was a little harsh...they were just angry

yomamma said:
Why would she try to?

Usually it helps to feign civility.

And do you think the teacher was showing civility? At least from what she wrote, it doesn't sound like it...

Yeah, it's right. Showing people that you "hate" them or showing them an attitude isn't a good thing. Just to be pollite and nice, you could go before the class and just explain the situation, that would put the things straight forward.

"Eventually I got tired of staring at his ugly, hairy, wrinkly, distorted face and all my hate/anger vibes had run out and i couldn't hold it in so I started crying. plus people were making faces at me in the window. i haaaate himm!"

Why ugly? why wrinkly? It's better to judge people after their thoughts and personality than look. You see, you don't choose how you want to look, God made us all the same, and you aren't any better than him nor he's isn't better than you. Else, if you hate people, try to fix it. Power is in your hands. Go on and talk to him, say that it was your fault, as you were the person to cause the situation, maybe he wasn't polite to you but it doesn't matter. Learn to fix your and maybe even others' mistakes. Together we can build a better world.

Thanks,

yomamma said:
And do you think the teacher was showing civility? At least from what she wrote, it doesn't sound like it...

From what she wrote, it seems to be a drastic overreaction to nothing important.

Oh for God's sake! You, as an adult, are attacking an 8th grader with words such as "moron" ?
I am truly disgusted.
She came here to "vent" and for help. In return she get's direct insults and sarcasm.

Well, she's indicated in a single post that not only does she think everything the teacher tells her to do is stupid, but that she also thoroughly dislikes him in general.

Maggie, regardless of whether or not your teacher is deserving of such an attitude, such language doesn't exactly make you look like the cool, rational person you probably want us to think you are.

Since we don't have his side of the story, we can really only speculate about how he feels about you. From the sound of it, you've already had repeated unpleasant interactions with him, even to the point that you've become hypersensitive to the way he interacts with others in your class. This indicates, to me, that you're probably looking for any reason at all to get upset with him these days -- in other words, spoiling for a fight.

The best thing you can do now -- even if it's difficult -- is to approach him when you're both cooled off, offer him a handshake, tell him you're sorry for the confrontation, and come to an agreement with him that you'll both try to be a little more accomodating of the other.

If you continue sending 'hate vibes' at him and generally interacting with him like a child, you will surely continue to be treated like a child.

- Warren

heartless said:
Yeah, it's right. Showing people that you "hate" them or showing them an attitude isn't a good thing. Just to be pollite and nice, you could go before the class and just explain the situation, that would put the things straight forward.

"Eventually I got tired of staring at his ugly, hairy, wrinkly, distorted face and all my hate/anger vibes had run out and i couldn't hold it in so I started crying. plus people were making faces at me in the window. i haaaate himm!"

Why ugly? why wrinkly? It's better to judge people after their thoughts and personality than look. You see, you don't choose how you want to look, God made us all the same, and you aren't any better than him nor he's isn't better than you. Else, if you hate people, try to fix it. Power is in your hands.
Thanks,

I get what you mean, but she was just angry. Alot of people prejudge people when they're angry..

I agree with the solution you requested to her though

Do you think this is OK?

Absolutely not!

Perhaps, if I had been in your situation, I would have asked permission to go to the bathroom at the outset, thereby reaffirming the status quo authority figure/student relationship; rather than simply walking away from the said task and possibly signalling to the instructor your disdain for the said task, which could also be construed as disdain for the instructor's position, and possibly the individual residing therein.

Perhaps it was that unconscious signal to that individual that acted as the thorn is his side, and maybe, he was determined to reaffirm the status quo in your head that, perhaps, he believed you threatened.

For the status quo to be successful, it takes the two parts to understand their place and accept it.

Nevertheless, regardless of your actions, any instructor intent on insulting, criticizing or mocking a student might instruct, but they do not teach.

Last edited:
From my position, it is inappropriate for a teacher to insult or humiliate a student, and it appears this teacher was out of line.

However, I think the student also mishandled the situation. First, the student could have said something like, "Excuse me," or "Pardon me", and then explain the reason for not wearing the gym suit. Perhaps even ask for an alternative.

A student cannot simply walk away from a teacher, especially in front of a class. A student cannot admonish a teacher, even if the teacher misbehaves, in front of a class. To do so undermines the authority of the teacher.

The student must ask a teacher to be excused in order to leave the classroom, and the student might have to wait.

Respect must be mutual and reciprocal. This is my approach in all human interaction, including work and in teaching. :cool:

Last edited:
It sounds like you just don't like gym class

pallidin said:

It's best to think everyone is messed up and stupid. That way if anything messed up or stupid happens, you won't be surprised. It works very well just ask Marcus Aurelius.

Not a single reply from anyone who has been a girl in the 8th grade? :confused: Or at least from someone who has had a daughter in the 8th grade?

My daughter failed a semester of gym class because she didn't want to be seen in a swim suit - unfortunately, she managed to keep it quiet until she'd already failed the class. It boggled my mind how someone on the soccer team could fail gym class, resulting in being ineligible for the soccer team for a semester, let alone someone who would have made the honor roll except for the F.

It isn't rational - it's being a girl in the 8th grade.

In junior high, boys had to swim naked - in winter time no less. We never did understand why, because the boys swim team wore bathing suits. Apparently the logic was that the staff did not want boys leaving wet trunks in metal lockers.

But -

Girls got to wear bathing suits.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Respect must be mutual and reciprocal. This is my approach in all human interaction, including work and in teaching. :cool:

I understand your entire post. However, from the statement I quoted from you, allow me this perspective:

It is NOT reasonably possible to expect an 8th-grader to have the maturity of an adult; be it intellectually or emotionally.
It IS the responsibility of an adult educator to fully recognize this and conduct him/herself accordingly.

Rach3 is right about feigning civility. There are many situations in life where you just have to accept that the person you are up against is holding all the cards and you have no choice but to treat them that way. Whether it is the cop who pulled you over for speeding or a dumb gas company employee who'se only goal in life is to avoid being hassled (a current thorn in my side), swallowing your pride and accepting that they are god of their little kingdom is the easiest way to avoid a conflict (you want to avoid a conflict with someone you can't beat).

This is a critical life skill you are learning here.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
BobG said:
It isn't rational - it's being a girl in the 8th grade.
Good point, but it is still a good idea to provide rational advice if we can...

JasonRox said:
It's best to think everyone is messed up and stupid...

There you go again! Why?
In my opinion, educators are under-appreciated and under-paid.

Astronuc said:
In junior high, boys had to swim naked - in winter time no less. We never did understand why, because the boys swim team wore bathing suits. Apparently the logic was that the staff did not want boys leaving wet trunks in metal lockers.

*prays to his God that this is a joke*

I have a pretty high opinion of most teachers. But gym teachers? Ehh...

I have a pretty low opinion of most teachers. They always (before high school) tend to be the dreamy "i can save the world personally" types that barely got into college and really have no business attempting to educate our children. They kinda act a bit irrational and all seem to have this artsy lightheaded personality. While it's great for all this creativity bs, it doesn't sustain an economy.

High school teachers don't act that way however. I can't really make a generalization about the teachers I've had personally. College professors just love their job it seems... except lecturers there part time haha.

pallidin said:
There you go again! Why?
In my opinion, educators are under-appreciated and under-paid.

It's an inside comment you clearly don't understand. It's actually a good thing to think that way, but I won't bother to explain because it's just not practical to explain on here.

If you want to know, read about Stoic Ethics and then read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

It's not practical to explain so you tell them to go read a whole book?