Want to be a multibody expert, looking for tips

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to become an expert in multi-body simulation and asking for book recommendations and software suggestions. The expert suggests taking a multibody dynamics class and recommends a specific textbook. They also advise the individual to be prepared to put in extra work to become an expert and suggest finding other resources such as online lectures and contacting students for notes. The individual mentions already having online material and books and seeking advice from experienced people. The expert advises them to continue studying and mentions that multibody dynamics is a subfield of mechanical engineering with crossover to aerospace engineering. They also provide a link to a list of books on the subject and mention one that is not on the list.
serbring
Hi all,

I want to be a multibody expert. How could you do that? Is there any book you suggest me to read? Which sw do you suggest me to learn? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Multi body expert?
An expert in multi-body what?

All engineering is "multi-body" so you'll have to be more specific.
Where abouts are you in your education?

Simon Bridge said:
Multi body expert?
An expert in multi-body what?

All engineering is "multi-body" so you'll have to be more specific.
Where abouts are you in your education?

I meant "multi-body simulation". I'm a mechanical engineer and I do simple multibody simulation but anytime sometime I loose a lot of time in correcting my models because I get some unexpected numerical errors and I don't have any idea how to fix them. So I want to improve my skills in it.

Oh well, then you want to learn about "numerical modelling" for the grounding.
Then you need to apply it to the specific kind of multi-body simulation you want to do.

serbring said:
I want to be a multibody expert.
The standard approach is to take a mechanical engineering class in multibody dynamics. Or two classes. It's a complex subject. It's a yearlong class in many schools.

Simon Bridge said:
Oh well, then you want to learn about "numerical modelling" for the grounding.
Then you need to apply it to the specific kind of multi-body simulation you want to do.

thanks, is there any reference material I should study?

D H said:
The standard approach is to take a mechanical engineering class in multibody dynamics. Or two classes. It's a complex subject. It's a yearlong class in many schools.

Unfortunately I already work, so I can't take classes anymore. I have to study it on my own. :(

If there is a college class named "multibody dynamics" or similar, then it will be the bare minimum that you need to become expert. By itself the class can get you to the "functional" level from which you just need experience to get "competent".

I understand you cannot actually attend classes :) but that does not mean you cannot do the course.
You want to be an "expert" and that means being prepared to go the extra mile. If you just want to know about it as a hobby, that is a different proposition.

Find out what the textbook is and see if you can get hold of the regular assignments... use your initiative.
There will also be other courses that go with that one - find out what they are: the college prospectus should help - they are online these days. You could also contact students, find out who takes good notes and ask them to get you a copy.

A lot of colleges put their lectures online - have you looked?

If you are not prepared to put in this sort of work, then you probably won't become "expert".
But you could become "knowledgeable".

serbring said:
Unfortunately I already work, so I can't take classes anymore. I have to study it on my own. :(
There is no rule that says your education must stop when you leave college for the working world. Do you work in an even somewhat related technical field? Does your employer provide educational benefits? If the answer to the first question is yes and the second no, this is a sign that it might be time to look for a new employer.

Simon Bridge said:
If there is a college class named "multibody dynamics" or similar, ...
Many schools have a class with this exact name. In others, it's a major part of a class called "advanced dynamics", or "analytical dynamics", or something similar. Multibody dynamics is a subfield of mechanical engineering (with crossover to aerospace engineering). Look at all the books on this one subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=multibody+dynamics&tbm=bks

serbring: One text that is not on the above list is Analytical Dynamics by Haim Baruh.

Simon Bridge said:
If there is a college class named "multibody dynamics" or similar, then it will be the bare minimum that you need to become expert. By itself the class can get you to the "functional" level from which you just need experience to get "competent".

I understand you cannot actually attend classes :) but that does not mean you cannot do the course.
You want to be an "expert" and that means being prepared to go the extra mile. If you just want to know about it as a hobby, that is a different proposition.

Find out what the textbook is and see if you can get hold of the regular assignments... use your initiative.
There will also be other courses that go with that one - find out what they are: the college prospectus should help - they are online these days. You could also contact students, find out who takes good notes and ask them to get you a copy.

A lot of colleges put their lectures online - have you looked?

If you are not prepared to put in this sort of work, then you probably won't become "expert".
But you could become "knowledgeable".

Thanks for your reply, What I meant is that I can't follow classes but I can study what I need.

I have tons of online material and books, so I posted here to have a suggestion from experienced people about books to read or exercises to do in order to understand very well multibody dynamics.

D H said:
There is no rule that says your education must stop when you leave college for the working world. Do you work in an even somewhat related technical field? Does your employer provide educational benefits? If the answer to the first question is yes and the second no, this is a sign that it might be time to look for a new employer.

I totally agree, I study almost everyday in order to improve my skill.

Many schools have a class with this exact name. In others, it's a major part of a class called "advanced dynamics", or "analytical dynamics", or something similar. Multibody dynamics is a subfield of mechanical engineering (with crossover to aerospace engineering). Look at all the books on this one subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=multibody+dynamics&tbm=bks

serbring: One text that is not on the above list is Analytical Dynamics by Haim Baruh.

Have you used any of those books?

I work close to the University and the book analytical dynamics, there are many solved examples. I was looking for a book like that. Thanks

I have tons of online material and books, so I posted here to have a suggestion from experienced people about books to read or exercises to do in order to understand very well multibody dynamics.
And what you got was suggestions for how to figure out which materials to concentrate on. :)

Happy hunting.

Simon Bridge said:
And what you got was suggestions for how to figure out which materials to concentrate on. :)

Happy hunting.

Thanks! :)

Related to Want to be a multibody expert, looking for tips

1. What is a multibody expert?

A multibody expert is someone who has advanced knowledge and skills in the field of multibody dynamics, which involves the analysis and simulation of mechanical systems consisting of multiple interconnected bodies. This can include anything from simple machines to complex robots and vehicles.

2. How can I become a multibody expert?

Becoming a multibody expert requires a strong background in mathematics, mechanics, and computer science. It is recommended to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering or a related field, and then gain experience through internships or research projects in multibody dynamics. It is also important to continuously learn and stay updated on the latest developments and software in the field.

3. What are some tips for mastering multibody dynamics?

Some tips for mastering multibody dynamics include practicing problem-solving and analytical skills, familiarizing yourself with software such as MATLAB or Simulink, and participating in workshops and conferences related to multibody dynamics. Additionally, reading research papers and collaborating with other experts in the field can also help improve your skills.

4. What are some common challenges faced by multibody experts?

Some common challenges faced by multibody experts include dealing with complex and nonlinear systems, accurately modeling contact and friction between bodies, and efficiently solving large sets of equations. Additionally, keeping up with advancements in technology and software can also be a challenge.

5. What are some industries that require multibody experts?

Multibody experts are in demand in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, robotics, and biomechanics. They play a crucial role in the design, analysis, and optimization of mechanical systems in these industries. They may also work in research and development roles in academic institutions or government agencies.