Voltage Regulation: Ideas for Building Circuit

In summary, you want to convert 90-270 volts to 88 or 112 volts. You are looking for a voltage regulator that will give you your desired voltage.
abstraktkid
Good day all!

I am new to this forum however i hear its great and full of good engineers. I want to convert 90-270 volts into either 88 volts or 112. I was thinking about a buck converter due to the efficiency however i cannot find one that can take my vin min and vin max. Then i though of a voltage regulator however i cannot find one that will give me my vin max. I also know that regulators that are built with resistors will lose lots of power due to heat dissipation and the voltage drop across the resistor may vary if voltage isn't constant. Please anyone give me some ideas on what i can do to build this circuit using as least components as possible. Thanks (PS this is not homework)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are those AC or DC voltages?

Dc voltages ill convert the ac to dc by using a rectifier circuit

Can't you just go directly to the final voltage? What is the 90-270?

What output power are you looking to get?

okay I am sorry to everyone for not being clear enough in my 1st post and i thank everyone for their responses. I want the application to have an input range span on vin min 90v DC and vin max 270V DC. This is because i want my application to be diverse. If it were to be connected in another country that doesn't use our 120V 60hz system. I want to be able to step down that 90-270V to 88V for one application of the design or the 90-111 step up to the 112 desired or from 113-270V step down to 112v desired. The system will only pull what is needed...just looking to find components to help put my idea together

i don't know for sure, but can you step down your input voltage to a value say 9-27 V DC and then use the voltage regulator and then step up to your desired value?

Related to Voltage Regulation: Ideas for Building Circuit

1. What is voltage regulation?

Voltage regulation is the process of maintaining a constant voltage output from a circuit or device, regardless of changes in input voltage or load. It is crucial for the proper functioning of electronic devices and ensuring their longevity.

2. Why is voltage regulation important?

Voltage regulation is important because it helps protect electronic devices from damage due to voltage fluctuations. It also ensures that devices receive the correct and stable voltage they need to function properly.

3. What are some common methods for voltage regulation?

Some common methods for voltage regulation include using zener diodes, voltage regulators, and feedback control circuits. These methods can be used individually or in combination to achieve the desired level of voltage regulation.

4. How can I build a voltage regulation circuit?

Building a voltage regulation circuit can be done using basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes. It is important to carefully select these components based on the desired output voltage and current requirements. You can also find pre-made voltage regulator ICs that make the circuit building process simpler.

5. What are some tips for designing an effective voltage regulation circuit?

To design an effective voltage regulation circuit, it is important to consider factors such as the input voltage range, output voltage requirements, and load current. It is also crucial to choose high-quality components and to properly calculate the values of resistors and capacitors to ensure stable and accurate voltage regulation.