Using Voltage Regulation to find load capacitance (Transformer)

In summary, the conversation involved an experiment with transformers, including open circuit and short circuit tests with a resistor, capacitor, and inductor. The last question asked for the load capacitance and inductance to be calculated from voltage regulation readings. The voltage regulation readings for capacitors showed a decrease of -0.271%, while the inductors had an increase of 0.272%. With three different loads, the capacitors had a decrease of -0.812% and the inductors had an increase of 1.95%. It was suggested that the Thevanin's Equivalent derived from the open circuit and short circuit tests should be used with the loads to find the missing linking formulae.
Maccca
Hi,
I did an experiment, involving transformers. Where we did open circuit and short circuit tests then test with a resistor, capacitor and inductor.

For the last question it asks Calculate the load capacitance and inductance from the voltage regulation readings.

Voltage regulation readings were: Capacitors -

Initial Voltage (Switch off) Final Voltage (Switch on) Voltage Regulation
110.2 V 110.5 V -0.271%

Inductors -

110.4 V 110.1 V 0.272 %

THREE LOADS
Capacitors -

110 V 110.9 -0.812 %

Inductors -

110 V 107.9 V 1.95 %

Help please I think i am missing something because I am not sure of the linking formulea.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the open circuit and short circuit tests, you should have derived a Thevanin's Equivalent, then use the equivalent with the loads. I think that's what you are missing.

Related to Using Voltage Regulation to find load capacitance (Transformer)

1. What is voltage regulation?

Voltage regulation is the measure of how well a power supply can maintain a stable output voltage under varying load conditions.

2. How does voltage regulation affect load capacitance?

Voltage regulation and load capacitance are inversely proportional. As voltage regulation increases, the required load capacitance decreases. This is because a power supply with better voltage regulation can better handle changes in load demand without significant changes in output voltage.

3. What is the role of a transformer in voltage regulation?

A transformer is used to step up or step down the input voltage to the desired output voltage. This helps in achieving the required voltage regulation by adjusting the turns ratio of the transformer.

4. How can I use voltage regulation to determine the required load capacitance?

To determine the required load capacitance, you can use the formula C = (I x T) / ΔV, where C is the required load capacitance, I is the load current, T is the load transient time, and ΔV is the acceptable change in output voltage. This formula takes into account the voltage regulation of the power supply.

5. Why is it important to consider voltage regulation when selecting load capacitance?

Voltage regulation is important because it ensures that the power supply can maintain a stable output voltage under different load conditions. If the load capacitance is not properly chosen, it can lead to fluctuations in output voltage, which can affect the performance and lifespan of electronic components.