Using the theory of simultaneous equations

In summary, A is 45 years old, B is 30 years old, C is 20 years old, and D is 5 years old. Their ages add up to 100 years and the sum of A and D's ages is equal to the sum of B and C's ages. The difference between A and D's ages is twice C's age. And when D is as old as A is now, C will be twice as old as B is now.
adam640

Homework Statement

A, B, C and D are celebrating their joint birthdays and find
that their ages add up to exactly 100 years. The sum of A's and
D's ages equals the sum of B and C, while the di fference between
the ages of A and D is twice C's age. Finally when D is as old
as A is now, C will be twice as old as B is now.
Given that A is older than D, how old are the four of them?

Homework Equations

I constructed the following but I am unsure if they are correct, and where I would go from there?
a+b+c+d = 100
a+d = b+c
a-d = 2c
a > d
when... d = a
2c = b

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
adam640 said:

Homework Statement

A, B, C and D are celebrating their joint birthdays and find
that their ages add up to exactly 100 years. The sum of A's and
D's ages equals the sum of B and C, while the difference between
the ages of A and D is twice C's age. Finally when D is as old
as A is now, C will be twice as old as B is now.
Given that A is older than D, how old are the four of them?

Homework Equations

I constructed the following but I am unsure if they are correct, and where I would go from there?
a+b+c+d = 100
a+d = b+c
a-d = 2c
a > d
when... d = a
2c = b

The last part (which I bolded) isn't right. Let's look at the statement: "Finally when D is as old as A is now, C will be twice as old as B is now."

Suppose D is 15 and A is 21. "When D is as old as A is now" would mean 6 years (21 minus 15) from now. In general, this would be the difference in their ages (A-D). So 'after this number of years, C's age' would mean that you would add this difference to C's age, and the sum would equal twice B's age. So the remaining equation would be
c + (a - d) = 2b

Now you have four equations and four unknowns.
a + b + c + d = 100
a + d = b + c
a - d = 2c
c + (a - d) = 2b(Hope I'm not giving too much away -- the OP did attempt at the set up.)

Solved! Thanks for your help. I got a = 45, b = 30, c = 20, d = 5!

Related to Using the theory of simultaneous equations

1. What is the theory of simultaneous equations?

The theory of simultaneous equations is a mathematical concept that involves solving a system of equations with multiple variables. It is used to find the values of these variables that satisfy all equations at the same time.

2. How is the theory of simultaneous equations used in science?

The theory of simultaneous equations is used in science to model and understand complex systems with multiple variables. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of these systems and analyze the relationships between the variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of the theory of simultaneous equations?

The theory of simultaneous equations has many real-world applications, such as in economics to analyze supply and demand, in physics to solve problems involving multiple forces, and in engineering to design and optimize systems.

4. What are the steps to solve a system of simultaneous equations?

The steps to solve a system of simultaneous equations involve rearranging the equations to eliminate one variable, solving for the remaining variables, and then substituting these values back into the original equations to check for consistency.

5. Are there any limitations to using the theory of simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the theory of simultaneous equations. It may not be applicable to all systems, and it assumes that the relationships between variables are linear and consistent. Additionally, it requires a sufficient number of equations to solve for each variable.