Gaussian Elimination: Translating text into equations

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding Gaussian Elimination and using information in a block of text to form equations and an augmented matrix. The problem involves finding the ages of four people, with only three equations and four unknowns. After some hints and clarification, the fourth equation is determined and the set of answers is found.
Matty R
Hello :smile:

I have a homework question regarding Gaussian Elimination, where I am supposed to use information in a block of text to get equations, and form an augmented matrix.

There are 4 unknowns, but I can only seem to get 3 equations and 3 "checks", to see if the values I get are correct.

Could anyone help me please?

I'm fine with Gaussian Elimination itself. I'm just having trouble translating the information into equations.

Homework Statement

Ann, Bea, Claire and Dawn have joint birthdays.
The sum of their ages is exactly 100 years.
The sum of Ann's and Dawn's ages is the same as the sum of Bea's and Claire's.
The difference between the ages of Claire and Bea is twice Ann's age.
When Claire is as old as Dawn is now, Bea will be twice as old as Ann currently is.
Claire is older than Bea.
How old is each person?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a + b + c + d = 100

a + d = b + c

a - b - c + d = 0

2a = c - b

2a + b - c = 0

c = d [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] b = 2a

c > b

I end up with 4 unknowns in three equations, and apparently that means there are infinite solutions. I've been told a set of answers, and they fit all of the equations I've worked out, along with the "checks". I just can't seem to work out the fourth equation.

I'd be grateful for any and all help. :smile:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Matty R! :smile:
Matty R said:
When Claire is as old as Dawn is now, Bea will be twice as old as Ann currently is.

No, that doesn't mean anything, does it? :redface:

Hint: what will Bea's age be when Claire is as old as Dawn is now? :wink:

Matty R said:
Hello :smile:

I have a homework question regarding Gaussian Elimination, where I am supposed to use information in a block of text to get equations, and form an augmented matrix.

There are 4 unknowns, but I can only seem to get 3 equations and 3 "checks", to see if the values I get are correct.

Could anyone help me please?

I'm fine with Gaussian Elimination itself. I'm just having trouble translating the information into equations.

Homework Statement

Ann, Bea, Claire and Dawn have joint birthdays.
How old is each person?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a + b + c + d = 100

a + d = b + c

a - b - c + d = 0

2a = c - b

2a + b - c = 0

c > b
"When Claire is as old as Dawn is now, Bea will be twice as old as Ann currently is.
Claire is older than Bea."
Claire will be as old as Dawn is now in d- c years. Bea's age then will be b+ (d- c) and that will be twice Ann's current age: b+ d- c= 2a or 2a- b+ c- d= 0.

I end up with 4 unknowns in three equations, and apparently that means there are infinite solutions. I've been told a set of answers, and they fit all of the equations I've worked out, along with the "checks". I just can't seem to work out the fourth equation.

I'd be grateful for any and all help. :smile:

Thanks
You have four equations:
a+ b+ c+ d= 100

a- b- c+ d= 0

2a+ b- c= 0
("Claire is older than Bea" tells you that the difference between the ages of Claire and Bea is c- b, not b- c).

2a- b+ c- d= 0

Thanks for the replies. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hello Matty R! :smile:

No, that doesn't mean anything, does it? :redface:

Hint: what will Bea's age be when Claire is as old as Dawn is now? :wink:

HallsofIvy said:
"When Claire is as old as Dawn is now, Bea will be twice as old as Ann currently is.
Claire is older than Bea."
Claire will be as old as Dawn is now in d- c years. Bea's age then will be b+ (d- c) and that will be twice Ann's current age: b+ d- c= 2a or 2a- b+ c- d= 0.

I'd never have got that. I completely see how to get it now, but I just couldn't understand it before.

I did get the set of answers I'd been told about.

Thanks again. :smile:

Related to Gaussian Elimination: Translating text into equations

1. What is Gaussian Elimination and how does it work?

Gaussian Elimination is a method used in linear algebra to solve a system of equations by systematically eliminating variables. The goal is to reduce the system to an equivalent system with fewer equations and variables, until a unique solution can be found.

2. Can Gaussian Elimination be used to solve any system of equations?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be used to solve any system of linear equations. However, it is most efficient when the system is in the form of augmented matrix, with the coefficients of the variables arranged in a matrix.

3. How do you translate a text into equations for Gaussian Elimination?

To translate a text into equations for Gaussian Elimination, you first need to identify the variables and write them as unknowns. Then, use the given information in the text to form equations with these variables. The equations should be in the form of Ax = b, where A is a matrix of coefficients, x is a column vector of variables, and b is a column vector of constants.

4. What is the purpose of using Gaussian Elimination?

The purpose of using Gaussian Elimination is to solve a system of linear equations and find the unique solution, if one exists. It is also used to simplify complex systems of equations, making them easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian Elimination?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Gaussian Elimination. It cannot be used to solve systems of equations with no solutions or infinite solutions. It also becomes more computationally intensive as the size of the system increases.