Using the d'Alembert operator for wave equations

In summary, for a derivation of the generalized inhomogeneous wave equation, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig is a good resource. The derivation involves using the D'Alembert operator and integration by parts. For the time-dependent Green's function, the Fourier transform is first taken and then the solution is obtained through inversion, which involves applying the Fourier inversion theorem. Lines 487-492 in the link provided show the steps of this inversion process.
adphysics
1. Is there anywhere where I can find a derivation for the generalized inhomogeneous wave equation? I found a derivation of the 1D wave equation for an infinitesimal region of an elastic string here:

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/apps/wave.pdf

But I am looking for proof of the generalized version in n dimensions where
[(grad)^2-(1/c^2)d^2/dt^2)]f=0 in free space.

Additionally, I'm having trouble following this derivation of the solution to the time-dependent Green's function here:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node49.html

I can understand the derivation of the generalized solution to Poisson's equation in the time-independent case, but I'm having trouble understanding lines 487-492 in the link above. Intuitively, I can understand where the solution comes from since an observer at r will only measure the potential resulting from an impulse at t' and r' at time t=t'+(/r-r'//c), so we use the delta-dirac function, and the potential still falls off like 1/r so the spatial component is the same as the time-independent case. Can anyone help with those lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a derivation of the generalized inhomogeneous wave equation, you can refer to the book Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig. In this book, the derivation of the generalized inhomogenous wave equation is presented using the D'Alembert operator (∂2/∂t2 − c2∆) and the integration by parts technique. Regarding the derivation of the solution to the time-dependent Green's function, the first step is to take the Fourier transform of the Green's function. Then, substitute the Fourier transformed Green's function into the wave equation to obtain a solution in the frequency domain, which is then inverted to get a solution in the time domain. Lines 487-492 show the steps of this inversion process, which essentially involves applying the Fourier inversion theorem.

Related to Using the d'Alembert operator for wave equations

1. What is the d'Alembert operator and how is it used for wave equations?

The d'Alembert operator, also known as the wave operator, is a mathematical operator used to describe the behavior of wave-like phenomena in physics and engineering. It is denoted by ∇² - ∂²/∂t² and is used in wave equations, such as the wave equation for electromagnetic waves or the Schrödinger equation for quantum mechanics.

2. How does the d'Alembert operator relate to the wave equation?

The d'Alembert operator is the key component of the wave equation, as it represents the second-order spatial and temporal derivatives of the wave function. It is used to describe the propagation of waves through a medium, such as sound waves through air or electromagnetic waves through space.

3. Can the d'Alembert operator be used for any type of wave equation?

Yes, the d'Alembert operator is a general operator that can be applied to any type of wave equation, as long as the equation is linear and homogeneous. This includes the wave equations for classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the advantages of using the d'Alembert operator for wave equations?

The d'Alembert operator allows for the simplification of complex wave equations, making it easier to study and analyze wave-like phenomena. It also allows for the application of mathematical techniques, such as Fourier analysis, to solve the wave equation and obtain useful information about the wave behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using the d'Alembert operator for wave equations?

The d'Alembert operator is only applicable to linear and homogeneous wave equations, which means it cannot be used for nonlinear or inhomogeneous equations. Additionally, it may not accurately describe certain types of waves, such as shock waves, which require different mathematical approaches.