Using Green's Theorem for line integral

In summary: When I solve for #3, I get the same answer as #2. Oops! I will do it again and post my solution attempt.In summary, the use of Green's Theorem allows for the evaluation of line integrals along a given positively oriented curve. This can be used to find the area enclosed by the curve if the partial derivatives of the integrand are equal to 1. In the given examples, the second and fourth line integrals are set up correctly, while the first and third require some corrections. The boundary curve in question three is actually an ellipse of the form ##x^2+ 2y^2= 2## and can be parametrized using trigonometric functions. In the
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate the line integral along the given positively oriented curve.

1) Is the statement above the same as finding the area enclosed?
2) ##\int_C \cos ydx + x^2\sin ydy ##, C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0) (5,0) (5,2) and (0,2).
3) ##\int_C y^4 dx + 2xy^3dy ##, C is the ellipse ##x^2 + xy^2 = 2##
4) ## \int_C {(1-y^3)dx + (x^3+e^\psi)dy} ##, where ##\psi = y^2## and C is the boundary of the region between the circles ##x^2 + y^2 =4## and ##x^2 + y^2 =9##

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved all of these questions, with the exception of the first one. Unfortunately, these do not come with answers, so I would like to check if my answers are correct. For questions 2 to 3, I just wrote out Green's double integral.

1) Yes
2) ##\int_0^2 \int_0^5 (\sin y(2x+1)) dxdy ##
3) ##\int \int -2\sin ^3 \theta d \theta ##
4) ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_2^3 3r^3 drd \theta ##

I think I got #1 and #3 wrong. If they are wrong, I will put up my original solution attempt. .

Note to self: Stewart, page 1090, 1 refers to question 6, 2 = 8 and 3 = 10.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate the line integral along the given positively oriented curve.
To evaluate what line integral? Do you mean each of 2, 3, 4, below? (So this does not apply to 1.)

1) Is the statement above the same as finding the area enclosed?
Green's Theorem says that [itex]\oint_C P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int_D \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/itex]
Since area is given by [itex]\int\int_D dxdy[/itex] that will give the area if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}= 1[/itex] and that will depend upon what P and Q are.

2) ##\int_C \cos ydx + x^2\sin ydy ##, C is the rectangle with vertices (0,0) (5,0) (5,2) and (0,2).
3) ##\int_C y^4 dx + 2xy^3dy ##, C is the ellipse ##x^2 + xy^2 = 2##
This is not an ellipse. At first I thought you meant just ##x^2+ y^2= 2## but that would be called a circle, not ellipse.

4) ## \int_C {(1-y^3)dx + (x^3+e^\psi)dy} ##, where ##\psi = y^2## and C is the boundary of the region between the circles ##x^2 + y^2 =4## and ##x^2 + y^2 =9##

Homework Equations

n/a
I would have thought Green's Theorem would be a "relevant equation"!

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I solved all of these questions, with the exception of the first one. Unfortunately, these do not come with answers, so I would like to check if my answers are correct. For questions 2 to 3, I just wrote out Green's double integral.

1) Yes
2) ##\int_0^2 \int_0^5 (\sin y(2x+1)) dxdy ##

In (2), P(x,y)= y and [itex]Q(x,y)= x^2 sin(y)[/itex] So [itex]Q_x- P_y= 2x sin(y)- 1[/itex] NOT [itex]sin(y)(2x+ 1)[/itex]

3) ##\int \int -2\sin ^3 \theta d \theta ##
Assuming the "ellipse" was actually the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2[/itex] then you are missing a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

4) ##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_2^3 3r^3 drd \theta ##
This one is set up correctly. What did you get for the actual integrals?
I think I got #1 and #3 wrong. If they are wrong, I will put up my original solution attempt. .

Note to self: Stewart, page 1090, 1 refers to question 6, 2 = 8 and 3 = 10.

Thanks everyone!

#1 is correct. Green's theorem allows you to find the area of a region ##D## with a positively oriented, piecewise-smooth, simple closed curve ##C## making up the boundary.

#2 is correct.

#3 needs some work. First of all, the boundary curve ##C## is not ##x^2 + xy^2 = 2##, but is actually ##x^2 + 2y^2 = 2## according to Stewart question #8. Now that we actually have an ellipse of the form ##\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 2##, it can be parametrized by means of the equations:

$$x = a \text{cos}(\theta) = \text{cos}(\theta)$$
$$y = b \text{sin}(\theta) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \text{sin}(\theta)$$

Now, what happens to ##-2y^3##? What will be the limits of integration?

#4 is correct.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
To evaluate what line integral? Do you mean each of 2, 3, 4, below? (So this does not apply to 1.) Green's Theorem says that [itex]\oint_C P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int_D \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/itex]
Since area is given by [itex]\int\int_D dxdy[/itex] that will give the area if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}= 1[/itex] and that will depend upon what P and Q are. This is not an ellipse. At first I thought you meant just ##x^2+ y^2= 2## but that would be called a circle, not ellipse. I would have thought Green's Theorem would be a "relevant equation"!

In (2), P(x,y)= y and [itex]Q(x,y)= x^2 sin(y)[/itex] So [itex]Q_x- P_y= 2x sin(y)- 1[/itex] NOT [itex]sin(y)(2x+ 1)[/itex] Assuming the "ellipse" was actually the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2[/itex] then you are missing a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] This one is set up correctly. What did you get for the actual integrals?

Oops, number three should have been ##x^2+ 2y^2= 2##

HallsofIvy said:
To evaluate what line integral? Do you mean each of 2, 3, 4, below? (So this does not apply to 1.) Green's Theorem says that [itex]\oint_C P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int_D \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/itex]
Since area is given by [itex]\int\int_D dxdy[/itex] that will give the area if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}= 1[/itex] and that will depend upon what P and Q are. This is not an ellipse. At first I thought you meant just ##x^2+ y^2= 2## but that would be called a circle, not ellipse. I would have thought Green's Theorem would be a "relevant equation"!

In (2), P(x,y)= y and [itex]Q(x,y)= x^2 sin(y)[/itex] So [itex]Q_x- P_y= 2x sin(y)- 1[/itex] NOT [itex]sin(y)(2x+ 1)[/itex] Assuming the "ellipse" was actually the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2[/itex] then you are missing a factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

This one is set up correctly. What did you get for the actual integrals?

I solved number two again and I still got the same integral. Additionally, Zondrina says I'm right

Related to Using Green's Theorem for line integral

1. What is Green's Theorem and how does it relate to line integrals?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a closed curve in a two-dimensional region to a double integral over the region. It states that the line integral around a closed curve is equal to the double integral of the partial derivatives of the two components of the curve with respect to their respective variables.

2. What is the significance of using Green's Theorem for line integrals?

Using Green's Theorem allows us to evaluate a line integral that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve directly. It also provides a connection between line integrals and double integrals, making it a powerful tool in solving various mathematical problems.

3. How does one use Green's Theorem for line integrals in practice?

To use Green's Theorem, one first needs to determine if the given curve is a closed curve. Then, the partial derivatives of the curve's components with respect to their variables must be calculated. Finally, the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve can be evaluated to find the line integral.

4. What are some common applications of Green's Theorem for line integrals?

Green's Theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetism. It is also used in vector calculus to evaluate line integrals in a more efficient manner.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem for line integrals?

Green's Theorem can only be used for closed curves in a two-dimensional region. It also requires the curve to be smooth and continuously differentiable. Additionally, the region enclosed by the curve must not have any holes or gaps. If these conditions are not met, Green's Theorem cannot be applied to solve the line integral.