Understanding RP^n and CP^n: Geometric Projective Spaces

• Thread starter AlphaNumeric
  • Start date
In summary, there are different descriptions of RP^{n} and CP^{n} in various sources, which can be confusing. RP^{n} is defined as the hemispherical surface of one half of S^{n}, with the entire equator included to ensure closure. In CP^{n}, points are lines through the origin in \mathbb{C}^{n+1}. It is the compactification of affine n-space by adding a projective n-1 space at infinity. The projective plane is homogeneous and the complement of any projective line is an affine plane.
AlphaNumeric
I'm trying to get a kind of geometric understanding of [tex]RP^{n}[/tex] and [tex]CP^{n}[/tex], unfortunately various books and websites I've read seem to give different descriptions, at least sufficently different to be confusing me.

The projective space seems to be defined via the equivalence relation x~y is x=ky for k not 0 and [tex]RP^{n} = \mathbb{R}^{n+1} - \{ 0 \} / \sim[/tex].
Therefore you can rescale any point in [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n+1}[/tex] down onto the surface of a unit sphere [tex]S^{n}[/tex] and you also have the fact antipodal points are equivalent, so you end up with [tex]RP^{n}[/tex] defined as the hemispherical surface of one half of [tex]S^{n}[/tex], but with the entire 'equator' (ie boundary of the hemisphere) included.

Why is the entire equator included, when you only need half of it? Is it to make sure tne boundary is entirely closed and allows for this hemisphere to be identitied with [tex]D^{n}[/tex], the 'circular' disk?

That all seems fairly okay to me, but then when it comes to the complex version, [tex]CP^{n}[/tex], the extension doesn't seem to be "It's the same, but in complex space", a whole new description seems to be done (which varies from place to place I've read) and even my supervisor wasn't sure about it (not that this stuff is her thing though). Is [tex]CP^{n}[/tex] just the collection of lines through the origin in [tex]\mathbb{C}^{n+1}[/tex] or is it more subtle than that now you're in complex space?

Any help would be appreciated. It's not something I desperately need to know, but it's mentioned enough times in various books I'd like to get my head around it.

Physics news on Phys.org
in real space the equator is included but opposite points of the equator are identified.

in complex space, yes it is "lines" through the origin but they are of course complex lines.

perhaos more intuitively, ikt is the compactification of affine n space obtained by adding a projective n-1 space at infinity. so real projective plane is the disjoint union of A^2 + A^1 + one point.

imagine real 3 space, and a real plane at height z =1. then every line through the origin that is not horizontal hits that plane in one point.

so the points of that afine plane represent a large portion of the points of the projective plane. but the hoprizontal lines, i.e. the lines through the oprigin of the real x,y plane are not included.

that is how the projetive plane augments the affine plane by a projective line, i.e. by the horizontal lineas through the origin.

those lines again mostly meet the affine line in the x,y plane with y = 1, but one line escapes, the line parallel to the x axis, i.e. the x-axis itself.

that is the point.

but as you can see, there is great latitude in choosing these esceptionalplanes lines and point, indeed any plane through the origin can contain the extra lines, so the projective plane is quite homogeneous, and the complement of any projective line is an affine plane.

it is actually a lovely gadget.

Cheers Mathwonk. I've got to admit, I didn't follow the A^2+A+1 description initially, but after your second post I've got what you mean by that and it's a pretty nifty way of thinking about it! Thanks :smile:

thank you my friend.

Related to Understanding RP^n and CP^n: Geometric Projective Spaces

1. What is RP^n and CP^n?

RP^n and CP^n are mathematical constructions known as projective spaces. RP^n is the real projective space, while CP^n is the complex projective space. They are used to generalize Euclidean spaces to include points at infinity and to handle degenerate cases in geometry and algebraic equations.

2. How are RP^n and CP^n different from Euclidean spaces?

RP^n and CP^n differ from Euclidean spaces in that they include points at infinity, while Euclidean spaces do not. This allows for a more complete and unified understanding of geometry and algebraic equations, as it eliminates the need for separate treatment of degenerate cases.

3. What are the applications of RP^n and CP^n?

RP^n and CP^n have a wide range of applications in fields such as algebraic geometry, topology, and theoretical physics. They are used to study projective varieties, algebraic curves, and complex manifolds, among other concepts.

4. How is RP^n and CP^n related to homogenous coordinates?

Homogenous coordinates are a way of representing points in projective spaces, including RP^n and CP^n. In fact, projective spaces are often defined as the set of all possible homogenous coordinates, with some equivalence relations imposed on them.

5. Are there any real-world examples of projective spaces?

One example of a real-world application of projective spaces is computer graphics, where they are used to represent points on a 2D or 3D screen. They are also used in computer vision to handle 3D object recognition and image transformations.