Understanding Faraday's Law and the Significance of divB = 0

• Thread starter r4nd0m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding Faraday's law and the relationships between Coulomb's law, Biot-Savart's law, and Ampere's law. The questions posed are whether Faraday's law is a consequence of the other laws and if divB=0 can be derived from Biot-Savart's law. The laws are discussed in terms of their compatibility and the potential effects of the existence of a magnetic monopole.
r4nd0m
I'm reading a book on electromagnetism and I am a bit confused about some things in Maxwells equations. This is what I don't like about many physics books: they are very wordy, but at the end you don't know what is an experimental fact, what is a "theorem", what is an assumption and so on,...

Anyway the questions are:

1. Is Faraday's law a consequence of Coulomb's and Biot-Savart's (or Ampere's) law?

2. Is divB = 0 consequence of Biot-Savart's law i.e. if we found the magnetic monopole, would that mean that Biot-Savart's law is not true? (I think so, but I am not 100% sure)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. No, it is a new law, not envisioned by Coulomb, Biot, Savart, nor even Farady until he discovered it.
2. divB=0 is derivable from the B-S law. and was originally found that way,
but one can start the study of magnetostatics with divB=0 and curlB~j and derive B-S. The two laws are compatible, each derivable from the other.
If a magpole exists, then divB is no longer zero and a Coulomb-like term would have to be added to B-S, but B-S would still give the B field of a current. What EM book are you reading?

Related to Understanding Faraday's Law and the Significance of divB = 0

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field.

Who is Michael Faraday?

Michael Faraday was a British scientist who made significant contributions to the fields of electromagnetism and chemistry. He is credited with discovering the principles of electromagnetic induction, which led to the development of Faraday's Law.

How is Faraday's Law expressed mathematically?

Faraday's Law can be expressed mathematically as:
EMF = -N(dΦ/dt)
where EMF is the electromotive force (or voltage) induced in a closed loop, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

What is the significance of div B = 0 in Faraday's Law?

The equation div B = 0, also known as Gauss's Law for magnetism, means that the divergence of the magnetic field is always equal to zero. This is significant because it shows that magnetic fields have no sources or sinks, and reinforces the idea that magnetic fields are created by moving charges.

What are some practical applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, including power generation in generators, operation of electric motors, and the functioning of transformers. It is also used in electromagnetic induction heating, which is used in industrial processes such as welding and melting metals.