Transferring Files Securely with SFTP & PuTTy

In summary, the conversation is about a server that has been changed to only allow SFTP, making it difficult for the speaker to transfer files using their usual method of using PuTTy and SCP. They are looking for a client that will allow them to drag files to their local machine and two suggestions are given, WinSCP and FileZilla. The speaker is hesitant about using WinSCP due to some confusion about its website.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys, recently a server that I have data on inverted its firewall and turned on normal FTP, only allowing SFTP. Typically I log into the server cluster (linux) via PuTTy and SCP the files onto that server (windows). I then just open up windows explorer oin my local machine (windows) and ftp://.[/URL]... and drag the files to my local machine.

Of course I cannot do this. I can still SCP to and from that server, but is there a client or something that I can use to drag the files to my local machine? (well I'm sure there is, I guess I could use a favorable opinion on one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
FileZilla is also a good option.

I was hesitant with WinSCP since google turned up both winscp.com and winscp.net

I'll give them a shot, thanks guys,

As a scientist, it is important to prioritize the security and integrity of your data. It is understandable that the recent change in the server's firewall may have caused inconvenience in transferring files. However, it is important to note that the use of SFTP and PuTTy is a much more secure and recommended method for transferring files compared to normal FTP.

SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) uses SSH (Secure Shell) to encrypt data during transfer, providing a higher level of security compared to normal FTP. PuTTy is a popular and reliable SSH client that allows for secure file transfer between a local machine and a remote server.

In this situation, instead of using windows explorer and normal FTP, I would recommend using a SFTP client such as FileZilla or WinSCP to securely transfer files between your local machine and the server. These clients have a user-friendly interface and allow for drag and drop functionality, similar to what you were used to with normal FTP.

It is important to note that using a secure method of file transfer not only protects your data, but also ensures compliance with any regulations or standards that may be applicable to your research. I hope this helps and I wish you success in securely transferring your files.

Related to Transferring Files Securely with SFTP & PuTTy

1. How does SFTP ensure secure file transfer?

SFTP uses a secure channel to transfer files between a client and a server. It encrypts all data, including file content, username, and password, using a combination of symmetric and asymmetric encryption algorithms.

2. What is the difference between SFTP and FTPS?

FTPS uses SSL/TLS to encrypt data during file transfer, while SFTP uses SSH to establish a secure connection. SFTP is more firewall-friendly and supports more authentication methods than FTPS.

3. Why is PuTTy commonly used for SFTP connections?

PuTTy is a free and open-source terminal emulator that supports various network protocols, including SFTP. It is lightweight, easy to use, and compatible with multiple operating systems.

4. Can SFTP be used for large file transfers?

Yes, SFTP can handle large file transfers as it supports chunking and resuming of file transfers. It also has a higher maximum file size limit compared to other file transfer protocols.

5. How can I improve the security of my SFTP connection?

To improve the security of your SFTP connection, you can use stronger encryption algorithms, limit access to the SFTP server, regularly update your SFTP software, and implement multi-factor authentication for user authentication.