Time evolution of a two-state system

In summary, the conversation is about a question that asks to find the state of an Electron Nuetrino (U1) at later times t > 0. The question is based on a two state system where U1 and U2 are column vectors and the goal is to expand U(t=0) in terms of energy eigenstates in order to include the time dependent exponential for t>0. The conversation also mentions the procedure being applicable to any two level system and the need to express U1 in the mass eigenstates. One person admits they have not seen how to write an arbitrary vector as a linear combination of basis vectors, but the other clarifies that it is not specific to neutrino oscillations and applies to any two
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Hey guys,
I have a question that asks;
Assume an Electron Nuetrino (U1) is produced at t = 0. Find the state U(t) for later times t > 0.

To give some context the question is based on a two state system where U1 = Collumn vector (sin(theta) cos(theta)) and U2 = Collumn vector (-sin(theta) cos(theta)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I get that its asking me to essentially write the system with the time dependance, and I can't simply bolt the time dependence exponential on the end because U1/U2 are not generally eigenstates of the hamiltonian. So I need to expand U(t=0) in terms of energy eigenstates and then I can include the time dependant exponential for t>0.
Im just not sure how to do this, since I know its in the state U1 at t=0 what's to expand? any advice would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start would be to express U1 in the mass eigenstates.

Hmmm, we havn't covered that, we havn't looked in any detail at the specific case of nuetrino oscillations. I think he was just hoping to make us think about simple two state systems rather than nuetrino oscillations themselves.

Well, there is nothing specifically peculiar for the case of neutrino oscillations. The same procedure will be applicable to any two level system.

Are you saying you have not seen how to write an arbitrary vector as a linear combination of a set of basis vectors?

No sorry, it was the mass eitrnstates I haven't seen before.

Related to Time evolution of a two-state system

1. What is a two-state system?

A two-state system is a physical system that can exist in two distinct states, also known as quantum states. These states can be described by quantum mechanics and can have different energies, probabilities, and other properties.

2. How does time evolution occur in a two-state system?

Time evolution in a two-state system is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation determines how the quantum states of a system change over time.

3. What factors influence the time evolution of a two-state system?

The time evolution of a two-state system can be influenced by external factors, such as external forces or interactions with other systems. It can also be influenced by internal factors, such as the energy difference between the two states or the strength of the system's coupling to its environment.

4. Can the time evolution of a two-state system be observed?

Yes, the time evolution of a two-state system can be observed through experiments and measurements. This is often done by measuring the probabilities of the system being in each state at different points in time.

5. How is the time evolution of a two-state system important in physics?

The time evolution of a two-state system is important in understanding various physical phenomena, such as atomic and molecular processes, quantum computing, and quantum information processing. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication.