Time dependent quantum state probability calculation

In summary, the Hamiltonian ##H_0## is the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom without an external magnetic field, and its eigenvalues can be found. To approach part b, the time variable can be added to the states using the formula ##\psi(t)=e^{-i Ht/\hbar}\psi(0)##, and the probabilities can be calculated using projections.
kdlsw
For part a I have (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m)|nlm>, which I think the (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m) part is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian, also is the energies?

And mainly, I am not sure how to approach part b, the time variable is not in any of the states. I saw this in our lecture notes: ψ(r,t)=∑Cnψn(r) e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex]. Do I simply add the e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex] term after each ψ state? And then what? Please help me with this, thanks

Attachments

• QQ??20140527230648.png
    QQ??20140527230648.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
kdlsw said:
For part a I have (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m)|nlm>, which I think the (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m) part is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian, also is the energies?
##H_0## is the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom in the absence of the external magnetic field. You should be able to find its eigenvalues.

kdlsw said:
And mainly, I am not sure how to approach part b, the time variable is not in any of the states. I saw this in our lecture notes: ψ(r,t)=∑Cnψn(r) e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex]. Do I simply add the e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex] term after each ψ state?
Basically, yes. The time evolution of a state ##\psi## (with a time-independent Hamiltonian ##H##) is given by
$$
\psi(t) = e^{-i H t / \hbar} \psi(0)
$$
For ##\phi_n## and eigenstate of ##H## with eigenvalue ##E_n##,
$$
e^{-i H t / \hbar} \phi_n = e^{-i E_n t / \hbar} \phi_n
$$
Therefore, if ##\psi## is a superposition of eigenstates ##\phi_n##,
$$
\psi(0) = \sum_n c_n \phi_n
$$
then
$$
\psi(t) = \sum_n c_n e^{-i E_n t / \hbar} \phi_n
$$

kdlsw said:
And then what?
When you've done a correctly, you'll have ##E_{nlm}## for each state ##| n l m \rangle##, and therefore can get ##|\Psi(t)\rangle## for any time ##t##. You will then have to calculate projections like ##\langle \psi_1 | \Psi(t) \rangle##, from which you can calculate the probabilities.

Related to Time dependent quantum state probability calculation

1. What is time-dependent quantum state probability calculation?

Time-dependent quantum state probability calculation is a mathematical method used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. It involves calculating the probabilities of different states that a quantum system can be in at different points in time.

2. Why is time-dependent quantum state probability calculation important?

Time-dependent quantum state probability calculation is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time, which is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics, quantum computing, and quantum chemistry. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How is time-dependent quantum state probability calculation different from time-independent quantum state probability calculation?

Time-dependent quantum state probability calculation takes into account the changing nature of quantum systems over time, while time-independent quantum state probability calculation assumes that the system is in a constant state. Time-dependent calculations are more complex and require the use of time-dependent Schrödinger equations, while time-independent calculations use time-independent Schrödinger equations.

4. What are some applications of time-dependent quantum state probability calculation?

Time-dependent quantum state probability calculation has many applications in various fields, such as quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum chemistry. It is used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and to predict the outcomes of experiments in these fields.

5. How is time-dependent quantum state probability calculation used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, time-dependent quantum state probability calculation is used to predict the behavior of quantum bits (qubits) over time. This allows us to design and optimize quantum algorithms that can solve complex problems more efficiently than classical computers. Time-dependent calculations are also essential in error correction and noise reduction in quantum computing.