Thermodynamic Equilibrium of N2 Molecule in Electrical Discharge

In summary, spectroscopic observation of molecular N2 in an electrical discharge reveals that the relative numbers of molecules in excited bivrational states follow the distribution given by (epsilon)i=(i+1/2)hv, with i representing the energy state and ni/n representing the relative amount of molecules in that state. This suggests that the gas is in thermodynamic equilibrium with respect to the distribution of vibrational energy. Using the Boltzmann formula (S=kln(omega)), the temperature of the gas can be calculated.
asdf1
for the following question:
spectroscopic observation of molecular N2 in an electrical discharge shows that the relative numbers of molecules in excited bivrational states with energies given by (epsilon)i=(i+1/2)hv
are i 0 1 2 3
ni/n 1.00 0.25 0.062 0.016
show that the gas in the thermodynamic equilivrium with respect to the distributioonn of vibrational energy, and calculate the temperature of the gas.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have over 400 posts and you don't know to show some work on homework problems?

How are energy states distributed in equilibrium? Is there a particular formula that might provide the nuts and bolts (hint hint) for constructing a solution to the problem?

@@
sorry about that~
the only forumla i know is the boltzman formula (S=kln(omega))
but i think it has nothing to do with that, right?

See if http://www.chemsoc.org/exemplarchem/entries/pkirby/exemchem/Boltzmann/Boltzmann.html" website gives you any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you!

Related to Thermodynamic Equilibrium of N2 Molecule in Electrical Discharge

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is a state in which all thermodynamic variables, such as temperature, pressure, and composition, remain constant over time. In this state, there is no net exchange of energy or matter between different parts of the system.

2. How does an electrical discharge affect the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules?

An electrical discharge can excite the N2 molecules, causing them to gain energy and enter a higher energy state. This can disrupt the thermodynamic equilibrium by increasing the temperature and altering the pressure and composition of the system.

3. What factors can influence the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules in an electrical discharge?

The factors that can influence the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules in an electrical discharge include the applied voltage, electrode geometry, gas pressure, and gas composition. These factors can affect the energy and frequency of collisions between the molecules, altering their distribution of energy states.

4. How does the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules in an electrical discharge differ from that of a non-electrified gas?

In a non-electrified gas, the molecules are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium based on their temperature, pressure, and composition. In an electrical discharge, the energy input from the electric field can cause the molecules to enter higher energy states, disrupting the thermodynamic equilibrium and leading to a different distribution of energy states.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules in electrical discharges?

Understanding the thermodynamic equilibrium of N2 molecules in electrical discharges is important in various fields, such as plasma physics, materials processing, and environmental science. It can help in designing and optimizing processes that involve electrical discharges, such as plasma etching, welding, and air pollution control.