Take care of the environment and buy an electric car

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electric cars and their viability as a more environmentally-friendly option. Despite the use of electromagnetic induction in some electric cars, there are still concerns about the source of electricity used to power them, with coal being a major contributor. Alternative options such as hybrid cars or simply driving in a more eco-friendly manner are suggested. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of bikes as a mode of transportation.
brandon26
I am concerned about our environment, and do my best to keep it clean as much as possible.
I am going to buy a car soon, and I am looking for an electric car.

When I was doing my O'levels, I learned about electromagnetic induction, producing an electric current from changing magnetic field.
Why can't be use this method to run cars? So far, no one has attempted it!:mad:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your best bet is probably a hybrid like the Toyota Prius.

Btw, electromagnetic induction is being utilized. Pure electric cars use induction motors.

And power is generated at the power plant via induction - So I'm not sure what you mean, Brandon.

AFAIK, there aren't any commercially viable electric cars, and even if there were, you need to charge the batteries, which depending on where you live, could just mean your car is coal powered instead of gas powered. Half the eletricity in the US comes from coal.

You could get a Milk Float! Tax exempt, low insurance, and loads of room on the back for crates of whatever you might want to carry around.

Pay attention, however, to Mr Watters' point that you'll probably just be burning coal to get your electricity.

Oh right. So it doesn't really make a difference. I might as well drive a normal petrol car then.

brandon26 said:
Oh right. So it doesn't really make a difference. I might as well drive a normal petrol car then.

Not at all. You could, as suggested, get a hybrid and use much less fuel, and therefore release more pollutants into the atmosphere. Or you could get a less polluting car. Or you could simply learn to drive in a more environmentally-friendly manner...

You could always ride a bike...or walk...

Bikes don't attract the girls hehe.

Related to Take care of the environment and buy an electric car

1. How does buying an electric car help the environment?

Electric cars emit significantly less greenhouse gases compared to traditional gasoline-powered cars, which helps reduce air pollution and combat climate change. They also have lower overall emissions throughout their lifetime, including during the production process.

2. Are electric cars expensive to buy?

While the upfront cost of an electric car may be higher than a gasoline car, the long-term savings on fuel and maintenance can make them more cost-effective. In addition, many governments offer incentives and tax breaks for purchasing an electric car, making them more affordable.

3. How does the range of an electric car compare to a gasoline car?

The range of an electric car can vary depending on the model, but most modern electric cars have a range of around 200-300 miles per charge. This is comparable to the range of a traditional gasoline car and can be sufficient for most daily commutes and trips.

4. Do electric cars require special charging stations?

While it is recommended to install a charging station at home for convenience, electric cars can also be charged at public charging stations. These stations are becoming more common and can be found at shopping centers, parking garages, and even along highways.

5. Are there any downsides to owning an electric car?

One downside to owning an electric car is the limited availability of charging stations in some areas. This can make long-distance travel more challenging, although the network of charging stations is constantly expanding. Additionally, the initial cost of an electric car may be a barrier for some consumers.