Symmetry in Objects: Is Every Object Symmetric & How to Prove It?

• Thread starter khotsofalang
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the formal definition of symmetry and whether it is true that every object in space is symmetric about one certain axis. It is argued that this assertion is false, as there are manifolds with trivial isometry groups and measurable sets in space that have no symmetries under reflection. The conversation also mentions how symmetry is defined in mathematics and suggests reading an article about it.
khotsofalang
is there a formal definition of symetry? suppose i was to make an assertion that every object in space is symetric at least about one certain axis in space, is this assertion true? why or why not...how would you go about the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
khotsofalang said:
is there a formal definition of symetry? suppose i was to make an assertion that every object in space is symetric at least about one certain axis in space, is this assertion true? why or why not...how would you go about the proof?

one definition of symmetry is an isometry. I believe there are manifolds with trivial isometry groups i.e. the only isometry is the identity. Since any manifold can be embedded isometrically in space, you conjecture is false.

In any dimension, it should be easy to construct measurable sets in space that have no symmetries under reflection - but I am not sure

Your hand is a 3D object that has no symmetries.

Even functions are symmetric with respect to the y-axis. This is expressed in the relation
f(x) = f(-x). For a 3-D object, a similar expression of symmetry might be
f(x,y,z) = f(-x,-y,z)

but how do we formally define symetry? is it just in terms of isometry? if you were to place you hand infinite distances away, then your hand gets very tiny and converges to a point in space which is definitely isometric about some point...eventually becoming symetric!

Before you get carried away with mindless sophistry, take a little time and peruse the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry

I think you can glean from these scribblings how mathematics treats the definition of symmetry.

Related to Symmetry in Objects: Is Every Object Symmetric & How to Prove It?

1. What is symmetry in objects?

Symmetry in objects refers to a balanced or harmonious arrangement of parts or shapes on either side of a dividing line or plane. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used to describe the repeating patterns and structures found in nature and man-made objects.

2. Is every object symmetric?

No, not every object is symmetric. Symmetry can be found in various forms, such as rotational, reflective, or translational symmetry, but not all objects possess these types of symmetry. Some objects may have partial symmetry or no symmetry at all.

3. How can symmetry be proven in an object?

Symmetry in an object can be proven through various methods, such as using a mirror to check for reflective symmetry, rotating the object to check for rotational symmetry, or using a grid to check for translational symmetry. Additionally, mathematical equations and geometric principles can also be used to prove symmetry in objects.

4. What are some examples of symmetric objects?

Some common examples of symmetric objects include circles, squares, equilateral triangles, rectangles, and regular polygons. Natural examples of symmetry can also be found in plants, animals, and snowflakes.

5. How is symmetry in objects important?

Symmetry in objects has many practical applications in fields such as art, design, architecture, and engineering. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and describing the natural world, as well as in various branches of mathematics, such as geometry, algebra, and group theory.