Surjective Homomorphisms of Coordinate Rings

In summary, the author is trying to show that the homomorphism phi:A(X)->k+k given by taking f(x_1,...,x_n)-> (f(P_1),f(P_2)) is surjective. However, they are having difficulty proving this as it relies on the assumption that the sum of the elements of P_1 and P_2 are distinct.
ZioX

Homework Statement

I want to show that the homomorphism phi:A(X)->k+k given by taking f(x_1,...,x_n)-> (f(P_1),f(P_2)) is surjective. That is, given any (a,b) in k^2 (with addition and multiplication componentwise) I want to find a polynomial that has the property that f(P_1)=a and f(P_2)=b.

The actual question is to show that if we take the coordinate ring of two points in k^n then the coordinate ring is isomorphic to k+k (direct product).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have everything but surjectivity. phi is obviously an injective homomorphism (ker phi = {0 polynomial}).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, if the sum of the elements of P_1 and P_2 are distinct we can just define

[tex]f(x_1,...,x_n)=a\left(\frac{x_1+...+x_n-P_2}{P_1-P_2}\right)+b\left(\frac{x_1+...+x_n-P_1}{P_2-P_1}\right)[/tex]

where P_i means the sum of all the elements in P_i.

I'm at a loss if the sum of the elements are the same.

I'm assuming:

k -- a field
X -- this is [itex]\mathbb{A}^n_k[/itex]; affine n-space over the field k.
A(X) -- coordinate ring of X
x_1, ..., x_n -- a set of generators for A(X)
P_1, P_2 -- points in k^n (i.e. in [itex]\mathbb{A}^n(k)[/itex])

And I'm assuming the codomain of phi is meant to be k^2.

The basic idea is easy; you simply show that there exists two functions satisfying
[tex]f(P_1) = 0[/tex]
[tex]f(P_2) \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]g(P_1) \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]g(P_2) = 0[/tex]

Now, I should point out that in the category of k-algebras, the direct sum is given by a tensor product: [itex]R \oplus S \cong R \otimes_k S[/itex]. In particular, [itex]k \oplus k \cong k[/itex]. And rings are dual to spaces; a direct sum of rings should correspond to a product of varieties. Conversely, the coordinate ring of a disjoint sum of varieties (e.g. a pair of points) should correspond to the direct product of the individual coordinate rings.

So, if you really did mean to talk about k + k, then in what category are you talking about sums?

I have everything but surjectivity. phi is obviously an injective homomorphism (ker phi = {0 polynomial}).
That's cleraly wrong. I bet you can find a nonzero polynomial that has both P_1 and P_2 as a root! Try n=1 to make it easier.

Last edited:
We're working in the coordinate ring, so all polynomials that have P_1 and P_2 as roots will be the zero polynomial (in A(X)).

I did mean direct product, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
ZioX said:
We're working in the coordinate ring, so all polynomials that have P_1 and P_2 as roots will be the zero polynomial (in A(X)).

I did mean direct product, I'm sorry.
Er...

You meant X to be the subvariety of [itex]\mathbb{A}^n_k[/itex] consisting only of the two points P_1 and P_2? You really should say these things. :-p

I guess I didn't want to elaborate much because I just wanted an argument for surjectiveness.

But one can't make the argument if one doesn't know the pieces involved!

Exercise: find a subvariety X of [itex]\mathbb{A}^n_k[/itex] (where k is algebraically closed) such that there does not exist a surjection [itex]\mathcal{O}(X) \to k^2[/itex].

(I prefer [itex]\mathcal{O}(X)[/itex] to denote the ring of regular functions on X, rather than the notation A(X))

(Hint: restate the problem either in terms of commutative algebra or in terms of geometry)

Related to Surjective Homomorphisms of Coordinate Rings

1. What is a coordinate ring?

A coordinate ring is a mathematical structure that is used to describe the geometric properties of an algebraic variety, which is a set of points defined by polynomial equations. It is a commutative algebra that is generated by the coordinates of the points on the variety.

2. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the algebraic structure of a mathematical object. In the context of coordinate rings, a homomorphism is a map between two coordinate rings that preserves the algebraic operations of addition and multiplication.

3. What does it mean for a homomorphism to be surjective?

A surjective homomorphism is a homomorphism that maps every element in the domain to an element in the target space. In other words, the range of the homomorphism is equal to the entire target space.

4. How are surjective homomorphisms useful in studying coordinate rings?

Surjective homomorphisms of coordinate rings are useful in studying the geometric properties of algebraic varieties. They can be used to show that two varieties are isomorphic, meaning they have the same geometric properties, or to prove that a variety is irreducible, meaning it cannot be broken down into simpler varieties.

5. Can a coordinate ring have multiple surjective homomorphisms?

Yes, a coordinate ring can have multiple surjective homomorphisms, as long as they preserve the algebraic structure of the ring. However, there may be a unique surjective homomorphism that is of particular interest, such as the one that maps the coordinate ring to its associated affine variety.