Surjectivity of a homomorphism

• Thread starter AllRelative
  • Start date
In summary: You could also write ##G^{\rm ab}## or ##G^{\rm abelian}## or ##\Gamma(G)##, but never ##G\,'##.Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up! I will be more careful with notation in the future.
AllRelative

Homework Statement

let fx(z) = xz

let θ : Q* → Aut(Q)
with θ(x) = fx

Is θ an isomorphism?

Homework Equations

Homomorphisms,
Surjectivity and injectivity

The Attempt at a Solution

θ is a homomorphism because
θ(xy) = fxy = fx * fy = θ(x)θ(y)

θ is injective because the neutral element of Aut(Q) is f1 and
θ-1(f1) = 1 the neutral element of Q*

Prooving the surjectivity is where I am uncertain...
∀fx ∈ Aut(Q) , There is a unique x ∈ Q* for which
θ(x) = fx

Is the codomain = Aut(Q) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
AllRelative said:

Homework Statement

let fx(z) = xz

let θ : Q* → Aut(Q)
with θ(x) = fx

Is θ an isomorphism?

Homework Equations

Homomorphisms,
Surjectivity and injectivity

The Attempt at a Solution

θ is a homomorphism because
θ(xy) = fxy = fx * fy = θ(x)θ(y)

θ is injective because the neutral element of Aut(Q) is f1 and
θ-1(f1) = 1 the neutral element of Q*

Prooving the surjectivity is where I am uncertain...
∀fx ∈ Aut(Q) , There is a unique x ∈ Q* for which
θ(x) = fx

Is the codomain = Aut(Q) ?
You cannot write ##\forall f_x \in \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Q})## since this already suggest, there is a preimage which you are looking for. You have to start with an automorphism ##\sigma \in \operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Q})## and show, that there is an ##x\in \mathbb{Q}^* ## such that ##\sigma(z)=x\cdot z##.

To do this, you also have to know what ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Q})## here means. It cannot be the field ##\mathbb{Q}## nor the multiplicative group ##\mathbb{Q}^*##, nor a ring. Here we have ##\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Q})=\operatorname{Aut}(\mathbb{Q},+)## and you can operate with ##\sigma(1)##.

Likes AllRelative
I knew what Surjectivity was but I now see that I was always trying to prove it the wrong way.

So in general to prove the surjectivity of a group homomorphism f: G → G', I need to show that for any element y of the codomain(G') there exists at least an element x of the domain(G) such that f(x) = y.

Doing this shows that the image of f is G' entirely.Am I seeing that right?

Yes, as long as you don't impose any conditions on ##y##. It must be an arbitrary element, so only conditions are allowed, which makes it an element of ##G'##.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, as long as you don't impose any conditions on ##y##. It must be an arbitrary element, so only conditions are allowed, which makes it an element of ##G'##.
Thanks! It suddenly makes a lot more sense. :woot:

AllRelative said:
Thanks! It suddenly makes a lot more sense. :woot:
By the way, ##G\,'## is an unfortunate notation for a second group, better choose ##\varphi\, : \,G \longrightarrow H##. The reason is that many authors abbreviate the commutator ##G\,'=[G,G]=\{\,aba^{-1}b^{-1}\,|\,a,b \in G\,\}## which is an important normal subgroup of ##G##.

Last edited:
Likes AllRelative

Related to Surjectivity of a homomorphism

What is surjectivity?

Surjectivity, also known as onto mapping, is a concept in mathematics that describes a function or map in which every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, every output value has at least one corresponding input value.

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a set or group. In simpler terms, it is a mapping between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations between elements.

What is the definition of surjectivity of a homomorphism?

The surjectivity of a homomorphism refers to the property of the homomorphism in which every element in the target group is mapped to by at least one element in the source group. This means that the homomorphism is onto or surjective.

How is surjectivity of a homomorphism different from bijectivity?

A homomorphism is surjective if every element in the target group has at least one pre-image in the source group. Bijectivity, on the other hand, requires that every element in the target group has exactly one pre-image in the source group. In other words, a bijective homomorphism is both surjective and injective.

Why is surjectivity of a homomorphism important?

Surjectivity of a homomorphism is important in mathematics because it ensures that every element in the target group has a corresponding element in the source group. This allows for a better understanding and analysis of the structure and properties of the underlying algebraic system.