Superposition of Magnetic Fields

R^4} \right) \right]Simplifying this further, we get:B_z = \frac{\mu_0}{2} I \left( \frac{1}{R} + \frac{3}{4} \frac{m^2}{R^3} \right)In summary, to find the on-axis field of two coaxial coils with the same radius and currents in the same direction, we can use the principle of superposition to combine the fields from the two coils. Simplifying this expression using the binomial expansion, we get the final result as B_z = \frac{\mu_0}{2} I \left( \frac{1}{R} + \frac{
latentcorpse
this problem relates to finding the on axis field of two coaxial coils of the same radius when they have their currents in the same/opposite directions.
the field from one coil is

B_z=\frac{\mu_0}{2} I R^2 \frac{R^2}{(z^2+R^2)^{3/2}}

now the field from a coil looks like that of a dipole i.e. it's symmetric above and below the axis. so if the coils have radius R and separation 2d and i want the field a smaoll distance m from the midpoint and the currents are in the same direction i can get the field from the top as

\frac{\mu_0}{2} I R^2 \frac{R^2}{((z-m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}}
and from the bottom as
\frac{\mu_0}{2} I R^2 \frac{R^2}{((z+m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}}

and then hopefully superimpose.
but this is where I am having difficulty making it into all one term (i don't want to leave my final answer as something + something else)
since m is small am i meant to taylor expand or something?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. I can see where you are having difficulty in combining the two terms into one. In this case, you can use the principle of superposition to combine the two fields into one. Since the fields from the two coils are symmetrical, we can take the average of the two fields to get the total field at a distance m from the midpoint.

So, the total field at a distance m from the midpoint can be written as:

B_z = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \frac{\mu_0}{2} I R^2 \frac{R^2}{((z-m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}} + \frac{\mu_0}{2} I R^2 \frac{R^2}{((z+m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}} \right]

Simplifying this expression, we get:

B_z = \frac{\mu_0}{4} I R^2 \left[ \frac{R^2}{((z-m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}} + \frac{R^2}{((z+m)^2+R^2)^{3/2}} \right]

Now, we can use the binomial expansion to simplify the terms in brackets. Expanding up to the second order, we get:

B_z = \frac{\mu_0}{4} I R^2 \left[ \frac{1}{R^3} \left( \frac{1}{(1+\frac{(z-m)^2}{R^2})^{3/2}} + \frac{1}{(1+\frac{(z+m)^2}{R^2})^{3/2}} \right) \right]

Using the binomial expansion for the terms in brackets, we get:

B_z = \frac{\mu_0}{4} I R^2 \left[ \frac{1}{R^3} \left( 1 - \frac{3}{2} \frac{(z-m)^2}{R^2} + \frac{15}{8} \frac{(z-m)^4}{R^4} + 1 - \frac{3}{2} \frac{(z+m)^2}{R^2} + \frac{15}{8} \frac{(z+m)^4

Related to Superposition of Magnetic Fields

What is superposition of magnetic fields?

Superposition of magnetic fields is a phenomenon in which two or more magnetic fields interact with each other and produce a resulting magnetic field. This resulting field is a combination of the individual magnetic fields and can be calculated using the principles of vector addition.

How does superposition of magnetic fields occur?

Superposition of magnetic fields occurs when two or more magnets or electric currents are placed in close proximity to each other. The magnetic fields of these magnets or currents interact and combine to produce a resulting magnetic field.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive superposition of magnetic fields?

Constructive superposition of magnetic fields occurs when the individual magnetic fields align in the same direction, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field. On the other hand, destructive superposition of magnetic fields occurs when the individual fields align in opposite directions, cancelling each other out.

Can superposition of magnetic fields be observed in nature?

Yes, superposition of magnetic fields can be observed in nature. For example, the Earth's magnetic field is a result of the superposition of multiple magnetic fields, including those from the Earth's core, the sun, and other celestial bodies.

What are the applications of superposition of magnetic fields?

Superposition of magnetic fields has many practical applications, such as in magnetic data storage, medical imaging (MRI), and particle accelerators. It is also used in various industries, including transportation, energy production, and telecommunications.